The fall of Microsoft

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Windows 8 seems to get bad press and they have upset people with Xbox One which is too big and doesn't support pre owned games. Windows phone is still the forgotten brand behind Android and Apple.

Is this Windows M.E and Dreamcast all over again? Can Microsoft come back with the next generation of Windows?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are shooting themselves in the foot. There's too much competition to be tight with the games like this. People may have been able to buy all new a few years ago, but since 99% of us are getting poorer, we can't do it anymore.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    They are shooting themselves in the foot. There's too much competition to be tight with the games like this. People may have been able to buy all new a few years ago, but since 99% of us are getting poorer, we can't do it anymore.

True.

Also interested to hear what peoples views on Windows 8 are? I hear the titles concept isn't popular.

Given the work they put into making Windows 7 decent after Vista I wonder why they never kept it going a bit longer like XP?
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 seems to get bad press and they have upset people with Xbox One which is too big and doesn't support pre owned games. Windows phone is still the forgotten brand behind Android and Apple.

Is this Windows M.E and Dreamcast all over again? Can Microsoft come back with the next generation of Windows?

This suggests that the people at Microsoft definitely aren't getting any brighter...

http://kotaku.com/so-the-xbox-one-reveal-screwed-up-a-lot-of-peoples-kin-509179256

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What lot's of gamers are saying about the new console.
    They called it Xbox One cause they just took 359 steps backwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    The home PC is declining in popularity as tablets take off and Apple/Android have this market pretty much sewn up.

Microsoft scored a blinder with Windows 7, it was great after the huge cloggy mess that was Vista, or Fista as we called it as that was what it did to a reasonable PC.
    Windows 8 has been designed to be youthful and snappy, but sadly it has come across as clunky and useless unless you have a touch screen, and even then why bother ?
    8 does have the old fashioned desktop hidden away in the background but so much processing power is wasted on this clunky interface that it is not really that funny or snappy either.

Microsofts terrible offerings of the last decade have made many places reluctant to move away from XP and in many large sectors it is still the operating system of choice despite 'warnings' from M$ that they are going to drop support or may already have done by now.

They are going to have to dig deep into their R&D squad and come up with something good/stable and suitable for client machines soon or people are going to start switching to alternatives in droves as they have with tablet PC's

Phone wise M$ may as well pull out as again Apple and Android have the market sewn up along to an extent with BB

then we have the consoles - sigh
    The 360 was an alright machine, Xbox live was great but as you had to pay for it people abandoned the machine in droves and moved over to Playstation.
    I generally buy all 3 gens (Xbox,Nintys offering and PS?) I have all of them rolling back over the years and I had the last 3 (360,Wii and PS3).
    I wont be buying another Nintendo as they sadly turned a gaming machine franchise into playschool time for toddlers, The Wii is my last Nintendo as I no longer wear nappies.

Xbox 360 wasnt too bad to be fair, Forza kicked GT5's ass, Halo started to get a bit long in the tooth and a host of cross platform titles arrived that a lot of the time were better on the PS3, though the online experience was allegedly better for the likes of COD on the Xbox - I say allegedly because I have had no problems playing any of the COD games on my PS3 either off or online.

This new generation though may be the end of my gaming career that spans back to the Atari 2600.
    Sony have a hard on for community,social,togetherness - stuff that Sony I want to drive cars really fast, Kill loads of people brutally in GTA and get headshots in COD. I don't want to 'make friends' with the 13 year olds playing against me thanks - my surname isnt saville.

Microsoft have released a Ferguson Videostar, its nice to see it again and I wonder where I put the tape in, they are also going to make us pay continually for second hand titles in another great move to shoot yourself further in the foot.
    Forza will again no doubt be great but do I want to pay probably £400 or there abouts to play one game, and then again to play it online ? - I don't think so.

I think to be honest its 'game over'
  • Amanda_OBrien2Amanda_OBrien2 Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I have Windows8 and I don't like it. Why change something that was fine as it was. I asked my son if he wanted the new Xbox and he said "No I like the one I am using"
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the thing they've done recently which most pissed me off was forcing people who use Windows Live Messenger to switch to Skype instead. Even though the latter lacks a ton of features that WLM has, and lots of people still use WLM.

It shows to me a company that aren't thinking things through properly at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft are all about greed with the new XboxOne . No backwards compatibility, Xbox Live subscriptions , movies , pay TV and wait for it , paying a fee to play used games :eek:
    Money money money . How much does one company want ?
    :(
    I don't think I want to invest what is likely to be 399 , in a machine that you have to keep pumping cash into .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

Microsoft's director of programming, Larry Hryb, admitted there had been some "confusion" around the policy.

No kidding there pal

He added that gamers could bring their games to a friends' house to play without paying a fee - but only if the game's owner is signed in to the Xbox Live account with which it is registered.

If the player wanted to lend the game to that friend, a fee would be required in order to play the title on a different Xbox Live profile.

:D Never has a single statement killed a company so badly :D
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows, microsoft -_-"
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea that one must pay money to Microsoft to use a pre-owned or borrowed game that has been paid for new, and paid for again second-hand is simply appalling. It's like having to pay money to Ford or to BMW every time one of their vehicles is bought on the second-hand market, before you can use it.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 is growing all the time in the home sector, especially with the sale of new personal computers or laptops, as they mainly only come with Windows 8. It won't be used in business/networks due to its flaws, but it is still growing.

Xbox One - This isn't a fully blown games console like before, its a living room technology which can play games. The market has been going this way for a while, and I suspect that unless Sony do something drastic they will be left behind. Microsoft have already announced that there is going to be a method of selling used games, but haven't specified what it is. So playing second hand games will be possible, just not the way we are used to.

Windows Phone 8 - Still a new operating system, and it has its flaws, but its still a good system. Look how long it took Android to gain in the mobile operating system market...and look at it now.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The home PC is declining in popularity as tablets take off and Apple/Android have this market pretty much sewn up.

Microsoft scored a blinder with Windows 7, it was great after the huge cloggy mess that was Vista, or Fista as we called it as that was what it did to a reasonable PC.
    Windows 8 has been designed to be youthful and snappy, but sadly it has come across as clunky and useless unless you have a touch screen, and even then why bother ?
    8 does have the old fashioned desktop hidden away in the background but so much processing power is wasted on this clunky interface that it is not really that funny or snappy either.

Microsofts terrible offerings of the last decade have made many places reluctant to move away from XP and in many large sectors it is still the operating system of choice despite 'warnings' from M$ that they are going to drop support or may already have done by now.

They are going to have to dig deep into their R&D squad and come up with something good/stable and suitable for client machines soon or people are going to start switching to alternatives in droves as they have with tablet PC's

Windows 8 might have been designed to be "youthful and snappy" but unfortunately for them their core market, business, doesn't want "youthful and snappy" it wants "productive" and Windows XP and Windows 7 gives them that.

The reason XP is still the OS of choice amongst business sectors is because it was the OS available at the time most companies started to roll our PCs and Laptops to their employees. Because of that many of their applications were written for XP and before they move OS they need to make sure their applications work on the new OS, never a quick process! The company I work for, for example, is only just moving to Windows 7 now.

As for home users, we've got a four year old laptop running Windows 7 and for what we need a laptop for it is perfect, so why bother getting a new one until the one we have dies? The PC/Laptop market is pretty much saturated so it can only go one way, down. But for many things, such as photo editing a tablet isn't adequate so there will be a market for PCs and laptops for some time to come.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Windows 8 is growing all the time in the home sector, especially with the sale of new personal computers or laptops, as they mainly only come with Windows 8. It won't be used in business/networks due to its flaws, but it is still growing.

Xbox One - This isn't a fully blown games console like before, its a living room technology which can play games. The market has been going this way for a while, and I suspect that unless Sony do something drastic they will be left behind. Microsoft have already announced that there is going to be a method of selling used games, but haven't specified what it is. So playing second hand games will be possible, just not the way we are used to.

Windows Phone 8 - Still a new operating system, and it has its flaws, but its still a good system. Look how long it took Android to gain in the mobile operating system market...and look at it now.

A lot of companies are shipping PCs and Laptops pre-loaded with Windows 8 plus a Windows 7 disc. Microsoft will claim them as Windows 8 sales but in reality those sales will not always translate to actual users because many people will use the Windows 7 disc provided.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8 for PC users without a touch screen is a joke and Microsoft's worst offering to date. It is almost like they deliberately decided to make it take twice as long to do anything by hiding functionality away and I can't imagine the business market will go near it.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Microsoft are all about greed with the new XboxOne . No backwards compatibility, Xbox Live subscriptions , movies , pay TV and wait for it , paying a fee to play used games :eek:
    Money money money . How much does one company want ?
    :(
    I don't think I want to invest what is likely to be 399 , in a machine that you have to keep pumping cash into .

I'm pretty unimpressed by the One but you do realise MS - just like Sony and Nintendo - are a business? Their primary concern is to make money, of course they are greedy. All MS need to do is put out the next COD player and watch the money roll in.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8 might have been designed to be "youthful and snappy" but unfortunately for them their core market, business, doesn't want "youthful and snappy" it wants "productive" and Windows XP and Windows 7 gives them that.

Its the same with office. I find the new "ribbon" in programs like MS excel far more clunky and is much slower to use.

Instead of having all of your icons on one (or more) toolbar - you now have to navigate through tabs to find them.

Also - something as simple as not being to undock the "shapes" toolbar and have it float over your workspace makes a huge difference when designing flow diagrams.

Yes it may be prettier and "modern" - but pretty and modern don't necessarily equate with increased productivity (which is what businesses are interested in).
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Windows 8 on my laptop not because I wanted it but because it came with it preloaded. It may be growing but it's also forced on a lot of us. Can't beat classic shell!

I can't help thinking that them going down the Apple route of controlling everything will be a disaster. People put up with Apple's control because the product is so damn good or the person is a devoted Apple fan. I don't think Microsoft have that kind of devoted following. The games better be good!
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With windows 8 they should of just had it so you could select which UI you wanted classic with start menu or the fisher price tile system and then people could of got used to the new UI when they fancied having a play to see what its about and then go back to their tried and trusted UI when playtimes over
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    With windows 8 they should of just had it so you could select which UI you wanted classic with start menu or the fisher price tile system and then people could of got used to the new UI when they fancied having a play to see what its about and then go back to their tried and trusted UI when playtimes over

Thats the thing - what works on a table doesn't necessarily work on a desktop/laptop etc.

Trying to force desktop users to use a navigation system that was clearly designed for tablet users is just silly and will inevitably lead to frustration - especially when Windows 8 does contain a traditional windows desktop anyway.

Thankfully - it appears that the windows 8.1 update (due later this year) may allow you to set the desktop as the default.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-blue-update-to-build-on-and-improve-windows-8-1131737
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Thats the thing - what works on a table doesn't necessarily work on a desktop/laptop etc.

Trying to force desktop users to use a navigation system that was clearly designed for tablet users is just silly and will inevitably lead to frustration - especially when Windows 8 does contain a traditional windows desktop anyway.

Thankfully - it appears that the windows 8.1 update (due later this year) may allow you to set the desktop as the default.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-blue-update-to-build-on-and-improve-windows-8-1131737

I wonder how that will sit with the people who were glad MS did away with it as the default option and called anyone who complained "lazy and stupid"! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    The idea that one must pay money to Microsoft to use a pre-owned or borrowed game that has been paid for new, and paid for again second-hand is simply appalling. It's like having to pay money to Ford or to BMW every time one of their vehicles is bought on the second-hand market, before you can use it.

They argue it will all move to download next generation anyway. Or will it? People still like discs.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They argue it will all move to download next generation anyway. Or will it? People still like discs.

I agree with that. I've bought quite a few of the Arcade titles from XBOX Live. I won't buy the full release games from there because they're expensive, even for older titles, and much cheaper to buy them even new from retailers.

I suppose people get used to what they get used to, and trying to usher in a cultural change is difficult.