Options

Miliband says 'SORRY' over Sun picture.

angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
Forum Member
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27829958

Then why pose for the picture in the first place? Why was it OK then but not now?

Comments

• Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Don't see what he's got to apologise for, he was getting behind the England team, not The Sun, Clegg Cameron and Boris posed with it too, yes what that rag did was inexcusable, but at the same time the people complaining are grief merchants.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27829958

Then why pose for the picture in the first place? Why was it OK then but not now?

Possibly because he didn't realise promoting English football via the Sun newspaper would offend so many people ?
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly because he didn't realise promoting English football via the Sun newspaper would offend so many people ?
    Then he must be very socially unaware.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would've respected him more if he stood his ground although I can see why he probably feels the need to say sorry as is the modern way - he has nothing to do with any decades old grudge clung to by many working class people in that area.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Likewise Cameron and Clegg.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    What a bloody fool. At least Clegg and Cameron didn't apologise the day after deciding to do it. He seems like a man with no conviction who doesn't believe in anything.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Shows what a weak pandering leader he is and what kind of Prime Minister he'll make - always eager not to offend his PC brigade and anti-English superiors.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would you say this demonstrated poor judgement by someone who wants to be prime minister? ;)

Seriously though I'd have respected him more if he had resisted the temptation to buckle. The people of Liverpool have the right to their feelings in this matter but they have no right to impose those feelings on everyone else.

The Sun is a rag IMO but the only thing Milliband did wrong here was buckling at the first hit of any pressure. That's hardly a trait that inspires confidence in a potential prime minister in waiting.

His knee-jerk apology just makes him look weak.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Like I said in GD, I think it's way out of proportion. As an example one person claimed it was most appalling thing they had ever seen, and they'd been at the disaster.

Perhaps I'm simply hard to offend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »

Millions of people read it every day - its not that they are unaware of Hilsborough its just that they don't hold a grudge for some accusations made in several different papers from 25 years ago.

Buy it or don't buy it, but no-one should dictate to others what they can do.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Millions of people read it every day - its not that they are unaware of Hilsborough its just that they don't hold a grudge for some accusations made in several different papers from 25 years ago.

Buy it or don't buy it, but no-one should dictate to others what they can do.

That's quite out of step with modern political thinking.
  • Options
    ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think any average person in street would have seen this coming, but the clowns who make up 'political elite' don't, highly paid clowns at that.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's certainly out of step with this forum's thinking.
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh. Why the hell should he apologise for this exactly? It's the loony fringe of the Labour party that made them unelectable in the 80's coming out again, deciding that 'Labour supporters' are upset he did it, when in reality they couldn't give two hoots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he was going to be seen in public with a Sun, he should have been wiping his back-side with it.

What a %$^&**#!
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's beyond the limit. He must resign now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ok i'll change that to no-one should tell anyone else what newspaper they can read :p
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO Miliband really needs to grow a pair and stand by his actions, and stop trying to come across as all things to all people.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Ok i'll change that to no-one should tell anyone else what newspaper they can read :p

you are absolutely right.

cough**points at liverpool posties**cough.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Storm in a teacup
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miliband being the man who only a few years ago managed to sound sincere when saying that the Labour Party had lost touch with its values and direction.

How many more home-goals has the Labour Party got to absorb from this man who can't work out which way is up?
  • Options
    Mr JonMr Jon Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miliband really is a grade-A prick.

I sometimes wonder if it's an elaborate practical joke that this moron's in with a shout of becoming PM next year...
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He actually went up in my estimation yesterday. Usually I hold him in very low regard. But yesterday I thought good on him for showing a bit of support for the England football team and risking upsetting the entire population of liverpool. He finally drew a line on an issue and said this is where I stand. (OK it's a some what trivial matter of a football tournament and not something big like foreign policy for example).
    Then today he sunk back down. He must have realised that he was going to lose the liverpool vote. that doesn't fit in with his ideal of trying to please all of the people all of the time. The man is an empty void. He is nothing and stands for nothing. This country has had more than it's fair share of empty suit politicians already.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member

It doesn't offend me. I received a copy of the paper and put it straight in the paper recycling basket. Not because it was the Sun or because Miliband featured. Simply because I find freebies advertising something (in this case the world cup) patronising and a waste of time and money.

Miliband wouldn't understand that. He thinks: 'Ah, 'The Sun', big circulation, must be part of it, good for the Party'. He didn't even understand the nuances of the Sun's history and those in Liverpool who are so easily offended.

If someone looks like a prat, speaks like a prat, and acts like a prat, the chances are he is a prat, and hopefully will never become Prime MInister of Great Britain (and N.I.).
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed doesn't look as though he even wanted to pose with the paper. His smile isn't genuine - It's like those hostage photos. The others pretending to read it also look false.:p

Mine went straight into the bin. I can't believe how trashy and flimsy the paper was.