Spider living in car wing mirror

rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
Best way to evict? Seems he only makes himself known at high speeds.

Comments

• CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly not the answer you want, but I can only think tie a bag around the wing mirror, tape it up with a little tube coming out, spray insecticide down the tube, cap the tube for a few minutes and that'll be the end of that.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than killing it, which could no doubt be achieved in any number of ways, why not try blowing it out with a hair dryer on cold?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not doing any harm really.
    Why not just leave it be?
    It might like traveling or high speed.

I've lost count of the number of times they form webs between my car and the hedge about two foot away. I don't know how they do it.
    I've even found webs inside the door from overnight.
    Little tinkers.
  • rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Rather than killing it, which could no doubt be achieved in any number of ways, why not try blowing it out with a hair dryer on cold?

I want no harm to come to the spider simply I think it's not a safe living environment plus female guests freak out
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiders often weave webs by wing mirrors at this time of year, he wont be there that long so why do you want to bother to get rid of him, what harm is he doing or are are you one of those wimps that are scardy of spiders?
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bucket of water
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Clean mirror with lemon. Spiders are repelled by the taste of lemon, so you could try cleaning with a lemon-juice-soaked cloth, or a lemon-scented duster.

2. Place eucalyptus leaves around mirror, as the strong smell may repel spiders.

3. Serve eviction notice with bailiff & Police in tow.

Good luck. I know how feisty those pesky eight legged fiends can be. A few days a go I found one in the bath. I picked him up, in tissues and invited him out the window. He protested, but went peacefully. 2 days later, he was back, only this time, he'd bought one of his muckers to give assistance!!!

I still bare the scars to this day. :cry:

We're all rooting for you here at DSHQ.
  • Toilet-DuckToilet-Duck Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stick hose pipe inside mirror :p
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it where it is, it isn't doing any harm.

I see spiders inside car wheel trims all the time, It's amazing how they live on a spinning wheel.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Buy a spider vac from Maplins.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    rufusrain wrote: »
    ... plus female guests freak out
    Stop trying to infer that you are some sort of ladies-man.

The only females who get into your car are those who are related to you.
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that car wing mirrors have helped spiders greatly, allowing them to get around more easily and access a more diverse gene pool when reproducing.

Might be nonsense however....
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A car is not complete until it has a wing mirror spider.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Feed it by driving everywhere in reverse so that flies are caught in its web.
  • Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least yours lives in your wing mirror... I got in the car the other day to find my spider had moved into the car and spun a web the size of a dinner plate between the headrest of the passenger seat and the door handle! It was sitting right in the middle of it too! I'd been in the car less than 12 hours earlier so they must work fast!
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww let him be. Poor wee spider.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please just leave him, as said will be gone soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    1. Clean mirror with lemon. Spiders are repelled by the taste of lemon, so you could try cleaning with a lemon-juice-soaked cloth, or a lemon-scented duster.

2. Place eucalyptus leaves around mirror, as the strong smell may repel spiders

Don't forget the garlic bulbs in case it's a vampire spider and get your local priest to carry out an exorcism in case it's just the spirit of a spider.

Or keep frogs in the car.

Or just leave it be ya wimp!
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    He maybe likes the excitement of the Mystery Tours he regularly goes on. Leave him alone, he will appreciate it and so will his missus and weans.
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Stop trying to infer that you are some sort of ladies-man.

The only females who get into your car are those who are related to you.
    :D
    Thought you were going to say: stop trying to infer all women are scared of spiders!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coincidentally, my wife just shrieked out in the hall.
    (Well, an hour or so ago)
    "Big spider on stairs".
    I don't mind them at all but it was a fair description.
    It was in the living room last night appearing everywhere but ket bolting.
    This time, glass tumbler and card to slide under it and he was evicted outside.
    I think he's a Terminator spider.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    aww I have a real phobia of house spiders(currently a nervous wreck when at home and husband is getting frustrated with me) but I leave the wing mirror spiders, as they are doing no harm and I very rarely see them. It can be quite amusing watching spider Sid spin his web when driving down the motorway!

I had one once who lasted car washes, frost, 70mph on a motorway, rain and even came out on the window once (that did scare the hell out of me). I think he decided to move house after a while though, it was a sad day when Kevin didn't make an appearance.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    I want no harm to come to the spider simply I think it's not a safe living environment plus my mum freak out

BIB: Fixed that for you :P

But seriously, just leave them in it. Find out if its a female or male (easy to do), and give them a name. I have Susan living in my wing mirror, gets a good catch of flies as well.

You could use it as a deterrent to people breaking into your car if you go full hog with it.

"My BMW M5 has a tracking system built in" "well my Micra has a taipan cobra living in the glove box, and a starved wolf in the boot"
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrrrr. I love wing mirror spiders! Don't have one yet this year in the new car. They are ace. Always sad when I notice they've upped sticks and gone onto mirrors new :D
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A car is not complete until it has a wing mirror spider.

This. I think I'd miss mine if he/she went.