Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to register on a popular countdown forum to ask this but my account never got activated :rolleyes:

Whenever I watch Countdown I wonder what the longest valid word is that has actually be drawn onto the board in sequence (i.e. whilst the letters are being picked).

3 letter words come out all the time, and I've seen 4 letter words once or twice but I've always wondered it there have been longer ones...
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    dsdjm wrote: »
    Tried to register on a popular countdown forum to ask this but my account never got activated :rolleyes:

Whenever I watch Countdown I wonder what the longest valid word is that has actually be drawn onto the board in sequence (i.e. whilst the letters are being picked).

3 letter words come out all the time, and I've seen 4 letter words once or twice but I've always wondered it there have been longer ones...
    Oh, I’ve seen quite a few 5s, I’m sure. There have been plenty of 4s spelt out from the first 4 letters up on the board (which is obviously less likely than appearing anywhere).

We had “piss” come up as the first 4 earlier this year which amused me no end. (I’d love to see Rachel standing next to a really vulgar sexual word, but chances are they’d do a re-take.)
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to DS! :D

Thanks. But I'll use more familiar quoting until I get used to DS:

>Have you been to a recording before...

First time for me.

>Is “Greggles” still doing the warm up?

No, a different guy who's been doing it for 9 years.

>Where is the audience in relation to the set?

There are 5 rows facing the clock. See the 360° view on the Channel4 countdown site (although that shows an old set). The cameras tend to get in the way.

>Do they still move the audience around for each episode?

From series 61 they are again asking the audience for unsolved conundrums. That only happened once when I was there so perhaps they are moved around (or the first couple of rows).

>Something I’ve always wondered: are there really long breaks between the contestants declaring their words and Dictionary Corner giving their words?

The timing is about the same as that broadcast.

>What time of day does filming start, and how long is the break between each episode? What time of day did the shooting end?

On my day, I think 2 editions in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. I went to an afternoon recording that was about 4 hours in total.

>Were there any re-takes? Any technical issues delaying filming?
    >Are there any makeup touch-ups mid-episode?

A few things like that going on, but generally it seemed very slick (but they have had a lot of practice!)

>Which way does the clock reset to the top (clockwise or anticlockwise), and how fast does it go up? And does it look automated or manual (i.e. jerky)?

Clockwise, smoothly in about 3-5 seconds.

>Do the cameras ever move? (I’m guessing they don’t need to.)

All the time. There were about 6 cameras. And there's about ten different shots they have to do. Anyway the cameramen's union might have some say in this.

>Where does the table come from that the numbers sit on? Is it kept quite nearby just off camera?

It's kept just off set. Recording is suspended at the start of every numbers game while 2 guys lift it into position.

>Is Rachel prompted on which words to put up on the board, or does she just do all the words without being asked?

She does it herself but may have an earpiece.

>Does Rachel put all the words up at the time while they are being discussed, or is that filmed later?

While she's off-camera, plus an extra word or two that could be edited in later. I'd imagine she has an earpiece.

>Where is Rachel during the numbers game and what is she doing? Does she have a notepad and calculator for example?

To the left of the numbers set. The numbers games were too easy when I went.

>How loud is the countdown music in the studio and where does it come from? And do they play the theme tune at the start and end?

The TV monitors give the title sequences and music.

>Who was the celebrity guest on your day?

Probably not allowed to say, but s/he did a good Darn Job.

>Is Rachel just as hot in real life? Did she address the audience at all?

Yes. And Yes (briefly).

Suggest you just call 0161 952 0408 and ask to be in the audience!
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Suggest you just call 0161 952 0408 and ask to be in the audience!
    Thanks for all the answers!

I grew up in Yorkshire, but now it’s a long way away (or… Manchester I guess). I visit family now and again but wouldn’t have time to spend a day in the studio. Fun though it would be! (Maybe one day!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    They so should put her in that next week :D:D

:eek::eek::eek: faints
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I went to a morning session and saw two episodes recorded.

It is really just like watching an episode on television. There were very few mistakes and the only delays were for the turning of the board from letters to numbers. The clock just carries on round after the 30 seconds is up. We were in there for about 2 and a half hours.

They threw the conundrum to the audience and the guy next to me got it. I never knew the contestants due on next sat in the audience aswell but the guy sat to me who got the conundrum was the next contestant.

I met Jeff afterwards and he was such a great guy, There were about 20 to 30 people waiting for autographs etc and he stopped to talk to them all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastBank85 wrote: »
    I went to a morning session and saw two episodes recorded.

They threw the conundrum to the audience and the guy next to me got it. I never knew the contestants due on next sat in the audience aswell but the guy sat to me who got the conundrum was the next contestant.

That's funny, the guy sitting next to me was also the next contestant. And the ex-champion sat next to me for the next game, although he didn't have his teapot with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    dsdjm wrote: »

If you're referring to an attempt to register at c4countdown it was probably just a mistake that you weren't activated. I think you should be able to email the forum admin (look for user "Charlie Reams") without being registered and then he can sort it out.

But to answer your actual question, the longest which I can ever remember was "LOUNGER", which cheekily both contestants declared as their longest word. Perhaps the greatest ever "word pre-empting a word", mind, during the 3,746th edition of the show:

http://www.countdownwiki.com/Episode_3746

The tea-time teaser INTEREMU (answer: MUTINEER) was followed by a letters round - and the longest possible word? MUTINEER!
  • EsterhausEsterhaus Posts: 2,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance of any seven-letter words (or any fours for that matter) being spelt out on the letters board today, as both contestants were choosing four successive consonants to start off every letters round. Absolutely kills me when I'm playing along, that does! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    On 22 January 2008, a nine letter word (DECANTERS) came out backwards.

Episode 4523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esterhaus wrote: »
    No chance of any seven-letter words (or any fours for that matter) being spelt out on the letters board today, as both contestants were choosing four successive consonants to start off every letters round. Absolutely kills me when I'm playing along, that does! :(

Plenty of words start with 4 consonants, although mostly they need a Y. Eg. Hymn, Typhoon, Gymnast.

Without a Y, there are a few odd words such as Schmalz.
    Forum Member
    That's funny, the guy sitting next to me was also the next contestant. And the ex-champion sat next to me for the next game, although he didn't have his teapot with him.

Why would I lie about something like that? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of words start with 4 consonants, although mostly they need a Y. Eg. Hymn, Typhoon, Gymnast.

Without a Y, there are a few odd words such as Schmalz.

Fair point, well made. I forgot all about the "sixth vowel". All the same, the vast majority of the time four consonants coming out first spells disaster* for me.

(*no, hang on, that's two consonants and two vowels isn't it?) :p
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tim Vine is always fun, and, at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, Rachel looks wonderful. Again. She might be worthy of her own thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Tim Vine is always fun, and, at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, Rachel looks wonderful. Again. She might be worthy of her own thread.

Well, as something of a snappy dresser, she's certainly worthy of her own threads ;)

I like Tim Vine's "End of anecdote"s! I also like the way he doesn't try and grab all the credit for any long words that Dictionary Corner come up with (unlike some other DC guests I could mention!).
    Forum Member
    Radio Times TV guide says Jeff is re united with one of his Soccer Saturday panelists next week. :)
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Times TV guide says Jeff is re united with one of his Soccer Saturday panelists next week. :)
    Matt Le Tissier is the guest :rolleyes: then Donal MacIntyre the week after, according to Digiguide.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Rachel looks stunning today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel looks stunning today.

...but was she any good at the sums? ;)
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »

If she wears that dress again who cares!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I beat her today at this: 2, 9, 9, 5, 4, 4 => 637, and I'm normally hopeless with six small numbers.

So, probably not as good as she could be. But I doubt anyone cares...
    Forum Member
    Matt Le Tissier is the guest :rolleyes: then Donal MacIntyre the week after, according to Digiguide.

I didn't know if were allowed to reveal who the next guests were. Some forums are funny about stuff like that. Sorry. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know if were allowed to reveal who the next guests were. Some forums are funny about stuff like that. Sorry. :o

No problem. I don't think it's that important in relation to a Countdown guest, but I put it in spoiler tags just to be sure :D
  • nerak gnerak g Posts: 2,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not keen on Rachel's dress today.:eek:
    Looks like one that Julie Andrews made from curtains in The Sound of Music.
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contains a spoiler, so don't look if you still have to watch the programme and play the game. :)

Had to chortle today when Jeff checked with Dictionary Corner, and asked
    'Anything more than tongues?', and Tim replied 'Not on a first date'.
    :D:D
This discussion has been closed.