Is Carl a One Trick Pony?

2»

Comments

• Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salome wrote: »
    Carl is a crude caricature of a 'hard man' and that type of one-dimensional masculinity is not only dated but it has very limited dramatic potential. To put it crudely, Carl and Phil are as intimidating as my uncle.
    Maybe EE has to re-think its simplistic concept of the male villain. A silly walk and constipated facial expression won't do anymore.

Carl and Phil are not scary. If EE want credible villains they should at least hire actors with a bit of muscle to them. Carl looks unfit as does Phil. They're just panto criminals.
  • sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got a funny walk:p
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    I think Carl is clearly mentally deranged.

His plan to rub out Phil Mitchell (to be 'top dog') and implicate Max was carried out with no thoughts to his own personal safety - he could have been injured or killed too.

He's a loose cannon and I think we are going to see more of this ruthless recklessness and disregard for his own and other's safety.

It would be good if his mum and brother were brought back as permanent characters and we heard more of his back story. This would round out the character and perhaps explain his actions.
  • Dino MDino M Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Carl is just annoying, I think he is annoying and I have never thought of him as a hard man right from the start, as bullying Ian is hardly something to prove you are hard, Tiffany could bully and scare Ian.

The problem with soaps these days is that there are too many episodes a week to keep the story lines strong, so they are dragged out for months, rather than weeks and by the time it comes to its conclusion, most people are bored and not bothered. The biggest point about this lately is the Emmerdale pain killers story, I cannot remember her name, but that has bored me and my wife silly, that I did not really care or just thought take an overdose and end this rubbish, anything to stop the boredom of it. Carl annoying people is getting the same way, it is going beyond people worrying about what he does and the crash yesterday was rubbish, if it cost that much to set up and that is what it was, then whoever was responsible should be sacked.
  • Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dino M wrote: »
    I think Carl is just annoying, I think he is annoying and I have never thought of him as a hard man right from the start, as bullying Ian is hardly something to prove you are hard, Tiffany could bully and scare Ian.

The problem with soaps these days is that there are too many episodes a week to keep the story lines strong, so they are dragged out for months, rather than weeks and by the time it comes to its conclusion, most people are bored and not bothered. The biggest point about this lately is the Emmerdale pain killers story, I cannot remember her name, but that has bored me and my wife silly, that I did not really care or just thought take an overdose and end this rubbish, anything to stop the boredom of it. Carl annoying people is getting the same way, it is going beyond people worrying about what he does and the crash yesterday was rubbish, if it cost that much to set up and that is what it was, then whoever was responsible should be sacked.

The Emmerdale painkillers story featuring Rhona (Zoe Henry) is realistic as it has built up over time. Addiction doesn't happen overnight. Zoe Henry is a brilliant actress who has researched her role as an addict.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a Soap Opera, anyway people didn't complain when Phil Mitchell or Den Watts do it.

Actually they did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    Carl and Phil are not scary. If EE want credible villains they should at least hire actors with a bit of muscle to them. Carl looks unfit as does Phil. They're just panto criminals.

Phil used to be scary ten years ago when he was going to war with Steve Owen and trying to get his baby back from Lisa. Now it's hard to see him as scary though. As for Carl I think he's more evil then scary.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »

Agreed.

King Phil's "I run the Square" nonsense got tiresome during the early '00s.

And Carl appears to be terrified of his own mum. He'll probably be gone within a year anyway, seeing as Phil will always get the upper hand. It's an EE tradition.:yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Carl is very pantomime at times. Him being scared of his mum is no different to Phil being scared of Peggy. He's looking like a right plonker living in the past he was with Kirsty 6 years ago. He needs to get a grip and move on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desire_ wrote: »
    Carl is very pantomime at times. Him being scared of his mum is no different to Phil being scared of Peggy. He's looking like a right plonker living in the past he was with Kirsty 6 years ago. He needs to get a grip and move on

Steve Owen was the same.

Whenever EE want to fashion a tough guy, there's obviously a template that must be adhered to.

Must talk in a whisper - tick
    Must be scared of his mam - tick
    Must take an instant dislike to fellow toughs & certainly not get on with them - tick
    Must be putty around certain women - tick
    Must torment Ian - tick
  • SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other words. male villains don't function without a castrating Mother figure (always a convenient excuse for bad behaviour)
    Maybe it is time to move on from that Freudian 'model'.
    Let's see if EE can come up with an alternative type...
  • Bomani channingBomani channing Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salome wrote: »
    Carl is a crude caricature of a 'hard man' and that type of one-dimensional masculinity is not only dated but it has very limited dramatic potential. To put it crudely, Carl and Phil are as intimidating as my uncle.
    Maybe EE has to re-think its simplistic concept of the male villain. A silly walk and constipated facial expression won't do anymore.
    But carl isn't suppose to be a hard man. Being a male villian or evil in EE doesn't automatically make one a "hard man". Carl is just a wrong un at this point