Will Nick Grimshaw still be the Radio 1 Breakfast Show host this time next year?

ronantronant Posts: 4,785
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Personally, I think probably not, and if he is, he'll be hanging on for grim life.

I still listen (although a lot less), simply because of my extreme lack of options on my way to work (Radios 1-5, Heart, Classic, Talksport, BBC Local). But to my ears the programme is getting worse, it's sounding increasingly desperate to attract certain demo's. A big example of this was the football match on Tuesday, because they clearly have a problem attracting young men. The whole team hate football and sounded incredibly out of place. It was really cringey.

Unlike Moyles who already had a massive hit daytime show, Grimshaw never came in with a developed show, and they still haven't developed a decent show, 15 months in.

Rajars show he's well down, but of course they're clinging onto a 'bigger proportion of younger listeners'. But look at the podcast chart. The breakfast show has given huge promotion to the podcast, but it's rarely even in the top 100, far, far behind Greg James and Scott Mills.

By the way, I am in R1's target demo and IMO Scott Mills' show is by far the best, I really don't care that he's 40!

I can only see Grimshaw's figures getting worse, and I really think 2014 will see the end of his Breakfast show. He's too niche a personality and the show is frankly poor. They're in danger of losing a lot of listeners for good if they don't replace him.

Comments

• AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    The problem for Radio One is that they have no obvious replacement for him lined up. Greg James has had a big push behind him by Radio One bosses, but he just seems too bland.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's time for someone a bit more down to earth or bland even?
  • PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Unlike Moyles who already had a massive hit daytime show, Grimshaw never came in with a developed show

I don't think this is the problem. Steve Wright came to Breakfast with a 'developed show' in the '90s as did, later on that decade, Mark Radcliffe and Mark Riley.

The issue here is the BBC Charter.
    Radio 1 follows this to the letter, otherwise they would do what Radio 2 recognised that they had to do when Wogan retired, i.e. sign a populist replacement. And, boy, was Moyles populist; even I liked him - and I'm in my late fifties!
    The irony is that Grimshaw may end up with fewer listeners of the 'correct' demographic than Moyles had, so shedding the oldies from the book will become irrelevant - unless, that is, you're bitterly intent on excluding people from your club for credibility's sake alone.

While it's absolutely imperative that Radio 1 caters for a young audience in the daytime, and especially the evenings, they're gonna have to face the facts and sign someone like Scott.

What were we told about ILR in the Eighties?
    'It's ratings by day, darlings, reputation by night'.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I still can't believe that, after years and years of Moyles, Radio 1 didn't have possible replacements lined up. It must have been obvious they would have to replace him at some point. Where was the new talent working its way up the station? There is good potential at the station now - Matt Edmondson, Phil and Alice, but that's all it is at this stage. They're nowhere near breakfast at the moment. Mills is on fire but as they need to look to the future he can't be given breakfast. Greg James is building a following and I suspect being built up for the show, but they'll have to throw the kitchen sink at its production and possibly co-presenters as he's more of a Simon Mayo than a Chris Evans/Moyles.

Grimshaw's playing in the wrong position, like a less extreme version of the mistake that was putting Mark and Lard on at breakfast. Night-time cult shows rarely translate into breakfast hits. Had he had more time to work his way through the daytime schedule then it may have worked. He is a good presenter and has tons of stars for mates but he's on the wrong show, and it has a constant sound of management-approved fun - stuff the Radio 1 bosses want promoted, never being controversial, the opposite of Moyles - and sounds flat as a result.

On the populist appeal of Moyles - this is very true. However, he did a show that would have been very unlikely to be replicated on any commercial radio station. Indeed, when he was on commercial radio he was normally dumped on at nights and almost certainly wouldn't find a place these days.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    Remember it's the BBC here and they tend not to make any rash decisions, they have the luxury of being able to let things carry on as they are without making any drastic changes.

It'll be tough to admit that they picked the wrong man for the job but as has been said before, who else was there?

I am thinking they thought Scott was too old for the job.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    The problem for Radio One is that they have no obvious replacement for him lined up. Greg James has had a big push behind him by Radio One bosses, but he just seems too bland.

Why can't they get a DJ from 1extra??. Grimmy feels like he appeals to a very specific demographic.Girls aged 15-25 mainly. He's being pushed everywhere by the BBC but it doesn't seem to be working.
    he is also FAR too closely linked to 1D. They will fall out of fashion one day & he'll be seen as a cheesy hanger-oner of the band. He should be wiser & build a distance btw them & him. He will struggle to return to his Indie roots as he grows older because of the 1D connection. I now associate Grimmy v much with a specific generation of cheesy pop:Rita Ora,1D etc
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

The problem for Radio 1 is that for the audience it's been told it has to serve, traditional radio is increasingly irrelevant.

When Moyles started on breakfast there was no YouTube, no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram and crucially no smartphones or tablets. For the average 20-year-old in 2004, it was pretty much a choice between TV, gaming, slow internet or radio so the station had a much bigger share of overall media consumption among teens and twenty-somethings. Not any more.

Ben Cooper knows that and is increasingly putting Radio 1's content on to other platforms. But it's an uphill struggle - technology's moving very fast and the BBC is notoriously slow at catching up.

So there's the dilemma. Moyles was still pulling a big audience but it wasn't the audience the BBC wanted. Grimshaw's as good as anyone for the audience the BBC wants, but that audience isn't listening in the huge numbers it used to, and will continue to dwindle.

Radio 1's days as a traditional mass market radio station are lurching to an end. Rajar will continue to decline. But Rajar, of course, doesn't measure the people who may not listen to Radio 1 live but who do consume its content via YouTube or wherever. The BBC needs to (and, slowly, is starting to) put its "youth" content on a variety of platforms and recognise, as Ben Cooper does, that it's the smartphone and not the radio that is now where it's at and that old-fashioned Rajar isn't a reliable gauge of the audience.

Frankly, anyone who still listens to Radio 1 on FM probably isn't in the target audience.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even after 2 years, nothing has replaced Moyles.It is annoying and I would love to listen to the radio in the morning. Now, I don't even bother and switch XFM now and then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    The problem for Radio 1 is that for the audience it's been told it has to serve, traditional radio is increasingly irrelevant.

When Moyles started on breakfast there was no YouTube, no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram and crucially no smartphones or tablets. For the average 20-year-old in 2004, it was pretty much a choice between TV, gaming, slow internet or radio so the station had a much bigger share of overall media consumption among teens and twenty-somethings. Not any more.

Ben Cooper knows that and is increasingly putting Radio 1's content on to other platforms. But it's an uphill struggle - technology's moving very fast and the BBC is notoriously slow at catching up.

So there's the dilemma. Moyles was still pulling a big audience but it wasn't the audience the BBC wanted. Grimshaw's as good as anyone for the audience the BBC wants, but that audience isn't listening in the huge numbers it used to, and will continue to dwindle.

Radio 1's days as a traditional mass market radio station are lurching to an end. Rajar will continue to decline. But Rajar, of course, doesn't measure the people who may not listen to Radio 1 live but who do consume its content via YouTube or wherever. The BBC needs to (and, slowly, is starting to) put its "youth" content on a variety of platforms and recognise, as Ben Cooper does, that it's the smartphone and not the radio that is now where it's at and that old-fashioned Rajar isn't a reliable gauge of the audience.

Frankly, anyone who still listens to Radio 1 on FM probably isn't in the target audience.

Absolutely spot on
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »

You might be slightly over-egging the pudding there. I would imagine FM is still the medium of choice for young people in cars, especially since many young people drive an older car which probably doesn't have DAB.

And where radio one is still listened to in the work place it's likely to be on a radio, especially in a non-office environment.

I'd wager FM still accounts for more than 50% of Radio 1's audience, even if it isn't much more that than.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't they get simon hirst from capital? He does a fine job and he can easily pull in a younger audience plus least he is entertaining unlike grimshaw
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Why don't they get simon hirst from capital? He does a fine job and he can easily pull in a younger audience plus least he is entertaining unlike grimshaw

Hirsty's Daily Dose is Brilliant Hirsty Danny & JoJo have one of the best Breakfast Show's in the country

but to be totally Honest Simon Hirst on his own would be perfect for Radio 2
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    I still can't believe that, after years and years of Moyles, Radio 1 didn't have possible replacements lined up. It must have been obvious they would have to replace him at some point. Where was the new talent working its way up the station? There is good potential at the station now - Matt Edmondson, Phil and Alice, but that's all it is at this stage. They're nowhere near breakfast at the moment. Mills is on fire but as they need to look to the future he can't be given breakfast. Greg James is building a following and I suspect being built up for the show, but they'll have to throw the kitchen sink at its production and possibly co-presenters as he's more of a Simon Mayo than a Chris Evans/Moyles.

Grimshaw's playing in the wrong position, like a less extreme version of the mistake that was putting Mark and Lard on at breakfast. Night-time cult shows rarely translate into breakfast hits. Had he had more time to work his way through the daytime schedule then it may have worked. He is a good presenter and has tons of stars for mates but he's on the wrong show, and it has a constant sound of management-approved fun - stuff the Radio 1 bosses want promoted, never being controversial, the opposite of Moyles - and sounds flat as a result.

On the populist appeal of Moyles - this is very true. However, he did a show that would have been very unlikely to be replicated on any commercial radio station. Indeed, when he was on commercial radio he was normally dumped on at nights and almost certainly wouldn't find a place these days.

If Greg is like Mayo, he'll suit breakfast very well as Simon had 5 very successful years hosting the Radio 1 breakfast show.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    If Greg is like Mayo, he'll suit breakfast very well as Simon had 5 very successful years hosting the Radio 1 breakfast show.

He'd only serve to drive up the audience age though I think. He's a bit too folkie and he admits it.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A line needs to be first seen with the two sides being a Radio 1 Breakfast Presenter and Grimmy as a role model.

Chris Moyles was there as the Breakfast Presenter
    Grimmy is there as a role model.

Grimmy gets lots of awards such as GQ and radio awards because people apparently can relate to him and being in his celebrity circle with Harry Styles it makes him very popular.

Greg has got excellent features at the moment. Rage Against the Answer Machine is amazing! Greg could go to Breakfast with Chris Smith and bring back the zoo format as that is what it is really missing! Showbot does not need to exist. The idea of Siri is a thing of the past now most people have Iphones so why not use the producer to read out questions like Aled/Rachel did back in the day?

Would a radio show work with Greg and Matt Edmonson together or would they need females?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My choice would be Matt Edmondson he's funny,young & eccentric.
    I don't get how young people "relate" to Grimmy. He mixes in almost exclusively celeby circles,his life is nothing like that of his demographic. and the 1D connection only appeals to young girls,not guys or young professionals in their 20's.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio One should really have moved on from Chris Moyles as they did with the old Breakfast hosts who were successful before him. It's not good for th e reputation, but there is an open market in commecial radio who have some good personalities on the Radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    Would a radio show work with Greg and Matt Edmonson together or would they need females?

I think they'd waste them both if they joined together. I'd personally have Greg on Breakfast (with Chris Smith) and then have Matt take over from Scott, when it's his time to leave R1, but keep Chris Stark with him as they've work well together when he's covered. But as Stark is Scott's pal, maybe he wouldn't do that?
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »

Although to be fair on Moyles, he did work his way up. I first heard him on the Hot FM in 1994/1995 and he did a 7pm-10pm slot. The DJ before Moyles that day promoted him as somebody different to and they were right. I stayed with Moyles until he left the airwaves in 2012.

When GWR took over the Hot FM group in Sept 1995, he would have been out of place and he was given a 10pm-1am slot. Around 1996, he left the GWR group and went onto Capital Radio and did a Fri/Sat 10pm-1am slot. Within a year, he was at Radio 1 and build himsef up from there.

The pre Radio 1 Moyles was a one man show but he engaged with the audience brilliantly, he must have done something right for me to follow him around the radio dial.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Maybe because he doesn't want to go the the BBC?
  • podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Greg James is bland, but surely the obvious answer to that problem is drafting in Russell Kane to co-host?

I expect this is what the eventual plan is Breakfast: Greg James and Russell Kane, Drivetime: Nick Grimshaw.
    Forum Member
    podlover98 wrote: »
    Greg James is bland, but surely the obvious answer to that problem is drafting in Russell Kane to co-host?

I expect this is what the eventual plan is Breakfast: Greg James and Russell Kane, Drivetime: Nick Grimshaw.

I happened to be watching the Comedy Awards last night where Jonathan Ross mentioned Russel Kane was 50, surely too old for Radio 1. If Russel Kane is suitable why not bring Moyles back>
  • podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Maybe you are thinking of a different Guy? He's 33? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Kane
    Forum Member
    podlover98 wrote: »
    Maybe you are thinking of a different Guy? He's 33? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Kane

I think Jonathan was joking about him looking a lot older, comedy awards still on 4od if you want to watch, it's part of the opening monologue.

Anyway 33 is not the age to start a career at Radio 1, he's 10 years too late!
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    My choice would be Matt Edmondson he's funny,young & eccentric.
    I don't get how young people "relate" to Grimmy. He mixes in almost exclusively celeby circles,his life is nothing like that of his demographic. and the 1D connection only appeals to young girls,not guys or young professionals in their 20's.

Totally agree.plus he has a pleasant voice to listen to.and. he is compulsive to listen to.