Chris Moyles in 2014 ?

Maggie_KingMaggie_King Posts: 381
Forum Member
Chris Moyles's contract with Radio 1 expires next month, so what are the chances he will be back on the radio sometime in 2014? I think absolute radio should hire him for breakfast. That station badly needs a revamp at breakfast time in my opinion.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see him on 2. It would be nice to have old Moylesy on...
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Am I right in saying Moyles is still touring with Jesus Christ Superstar? He'd probably see that out then work out what to do next.

I still feel not taking a lower-profile Radio 1 show after leaving breakfast was an error. Had he done something different with a night-time show and continued to tone down his act - and he was a lot mellower towards the end than at the start of the breakfast show - then I suspect he would have slowly progressed towards Radio 2 once a slot became available, perhaps in the Sara Cox route. Indeed, he had been linked with a show on the eighties some time back, and Sara Cox has gone on to present such a show.

I don't, however, know what Radio 1 was offering. The salary cut may have been huge, he may have felt he was being shunted out the way or it was below him, it may not have been a good career move, he may have wanted to do something different. Thing is, what Moyles is bloody good at is radio. He's not a TV natural, he very much is a radio natural.

It would be trickier to ease him gradually into Radio 2 now, but perhaps a few holiday/weekend shows would get worried listeners onboard. They can't just hand him a daytime show without breaking him in gently.

He would no doubt see commercial radio as a step down, so I'm not sure about Absolute. Never say never though.

As it stands it's better for Radio 1 that they went with Phil and Alice at night time, two presenters who are showing real potential. Moyles remaining on the network would have overshadowed Grimshaw and led to some uncomfortable questions when Grimshaw's figures came out.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member
    He's probably happy doing his stage stuff, I guess he may look round, but i suspect if he does come back somewhere (and yes, weekends on absolute would be my choice) it will be a very different Chris Moyles
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he still got a contract until next month? How on earth does the OB know? Thought it expired months ago and wasn't getting paid?
  • OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris who?

His Radio 1 breakfast show was amazing in it's heyday, but I fear that his routine is very much done and it'll take a bit longer for people to shake that off.

Perhaps he'll return to radio one day (I'd like to think so), but I think too soon and people will expect his show to be similar in style to his breakkie gig - which was pretty tired by the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much like Evans then? Everyone expected the same man when he turned up at radio 2 but hey how wrong they were.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangy wrote: »
    Chris who?

His Radio 1 breakfast show was amazing in it's heyday, but I fear that his routine is very much done and it'll take a bit longer for people to shake that off.

Perhaps he'll return to radio one day (I'd like to think so), but I think too soon and people will expect his show to be similar in style to his breakkie gig - which was pretty tired by the end.

The thing is, he covered a few shows for Greg James when he was ill, just Chris without the rest of his team and I thought it was brilliant, he was still very funny and played more music than he did on the breakfast show. I think a show by himself could still be very popular, just not on Radio 1 any more though, he just doesn't fit there new teeny image. Radio 2 would be good but I don't think he's going to be back for a while yet though.
    Forum Member
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    The thing is, he covered a few shows for Greg James when he was ill, just Chris without the rest of his team and I thought it was brilliant, he was still very funny and played more music than he did on the breakfast show. I think a show by himself could still be very popular, just not on Radio 1 any more though, he just doesn't fit there new teeny image. Radio 2 would be good but I don't think he's going to be back for a while yet though.

Agreed.

I think the show finished at the right time - not because it sounded tired, as I don't think it did, but because the station clearly needed to lower its average age, and because there were clear issues that were about to surface (the reported problems with Dave, his tax affairs). Better to leave on a high.

I suspect any future act will owe more to that stand-in era for Greg James. Hopefully he won't sound on relative autopilot (Steve Wright) or come back completely different (Chris Evans), and will retain some of the spark that made his show a must-listen.

There remain problems with winning over the Radio 2 audience, and indeed many of the DJs, although one of his biggest detractors will be off air for quite a while himself. Him and Evans are exactly best of friends, but he gets on with Wright and Mayo, although it strikes me as unlikely that DJs would have a veto on any schedule.

In five years' time I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Steve Wright slot if he plays his cards right.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see Chris Moyles on Strictly Come Dancing
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,377
    Forum Member
    He needs to back on air but where? Radio 2 eventually but needs to be eased in gently with some cover work, I always thought he would have made a better replacement for Jonathan Ross than Graham Norton, but as Norton is the BBC's big star I don't see that slot opening to him anytime soon.

The problem with Radio 2 having such a wide remit is there are no gaps to fill, unlike Radio 1 you don't have presenteres regularly moving on to create new vacancies. Radio 2 have pretty much freshend up there lineup recently and I don't see too many openings for Moyles.

Saturday 8pm would be good if the current incumbant is unable to return but would need a format switch from american music to entertainment based, he could then do a hand over to his old mate Sara Cox.

Alternatiely it is where he'd fit in the commercial world, Global's two big brands don't have a national breakfast show plus Capital is aiming younger like Radio 1 so he's probably too old for them and he is probably not female friendly enough for Heart although that could change if given a co presenter, Mel C?

XFM would be good but he may see that as too low profile and I'm not sure that it is completly national on DAB just on some local muxes.

Absolute is an option and if Bauer are looking for a revamp he could be their Saviour and really push the brand forward. They are probably the only commercial station that makes sense but Chris maybe put off as I'm sure he doesn't want to be seen as following the same career path as his nemesis Evans, although can't see him buying the station!
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    Saturday 8pm would be good if the current incumbant is unable to return but would need a format switch from american music to entertainment based, he could then do a hand over to his old mate Sara Cox.

That would be very interesting and slightly amusing, given that the current incumbent has made no secret of how little time he has for Moyles.

You could easily make a case for it, as I reckon the content of that slot has been quite generic for some time. It's not that high-profile so won't scare the horses, and as you say it provides a natural crossover to Sara Cox later in the night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see Chris Moyles on Strictly Come Dancing

As the host?
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    So until next month Moyles is technically still a Radio 1 DJ but no longer doing a show?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So until next month Moyles is technically still a Radio 1 DJ but no longer doing a show?

I can't understand the BBC are paying him for not doing anything for them? So that is a lot of rollocks.

I think his contract was until the end of 2013, but the BBC are not paying him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Weigh-Man wrote: »

When did he cover for Greg? Would love to listen back!

Could he possibly present weekend breakfast on R1 (6:30-10), and then promote Gemma Cairny to the 1-4pm slot (Hu is old now, and should be moved elsewhere IMO).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could he possibly present weekend breakfast on R1 (6:30-10), and then promote Gemma Cairny to the 1-4pm slot (Hu is old now, and should be moved elsewhere IMO).

The year he left Radio One. He did breakfast then came back to cover Greg. I think l can remember Bruno Brookes did something similar Upto his departure, covering shows plus his own
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member

It was in March 2012. During Greg's last week of afternoons he was ill and they couldn't get anyone else to cover so Chris came back in after his breakfast show to do it. He did it on the Monday and Tuesday then for the rest of the week they got Grimshaw in. Chris' shows are available to listen on chrismoyles.net.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep he was great filling in for Greg totally different as it was more of him and not his team!