Options

Pdf to word

I have to fill out a form, but it's a a pdf, and I want to type rather than print and hand write. How can I convert and save as a word doc please?

Comments

• Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Converting PDF to word depends on original document. Some are made from a word or similar file and are searchable. this can be converted back to word but if the file has lots of graphics etc. it probably will not be that good.

others are simply a scan i.e effectively a photocopy. these are not searchable and could only be converted using an optical character reader and would not handle graphics and layout.

A much easier solution is to use a pdf editting tool like bluebeam (30 day free trial ;-) search web) which allows you to edits PDF file directly and is great for filling out PDF forms. Tools like this start at around £100.

A more basic but free/cheap option is to scan PDF file as a jpeg assuming you have a scanner (most work photocopies do this now). you can then edit the file directly using any graphics package even pbrush free with windows.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking, some PDF files come as forms where you can enter text in predefined fields. Did you try that?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The free Foxit reader allows you to type text into a PDF and save it.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    If you had adobe acrobat PRO, you could use it to do both things: to fill forms and save the file; plus to convert to word.

However I'm not pretty sure that if you convert into word you won't loss any information. Someforms only let you write numbers, or capital letters or whatever; and this information could be lost.