5 Thoughts - Launch Show

1235»

Comments

• Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I really liked Patrick - he and Anya have done one of my all time favourite Cha Chas and I often watch it on youtube - I like that bit where he pretends to smack her on the bum..... lol so cheeky :blush:

I think he was a really good contestant and I voted for him on some of the weeks but I do think he was rather favoured by the judges because they really wanted a female winner but they also wanted a male presence in the latter stages of the show - I just think him being a 50 year old black male was seen as the male that was the least threat to the producers' agenda for a female winner. I stress that I really like him, but did he deserve to be second in the swingathon for instance? I think they wanted him in the final but he'd been in the bottom 2 quite a few times so eventually they had to settle for an all female final.

Ohh, blummin' heck, I hadn't thought of it that way at all. I hope that wasn't the case. To me he really was the best, or the most watchable (cos I know nothing about dance) of the men that year, but I can see your point of course. Though even to my partial eyes, the swingathon decision was odd.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natalie - delighted to see her back - wish she'd drawn a contender.
    Aliona could learn a thing or two from Natalie. The enthusiasm of Nat compared to Aliona's face and body language spoke volumes for their professionalism.
    Alison will get on my nerves - I just know it.
    Uninspiring line up imo.
    Judy - perhaps Anton is a good match for this famous by association lady. The more mature ladies struggle with latin and Anton can neither dance nor choreograph latin numbers.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Patrick - he and Anya have done one of my all time favourite Cha Chas and I often watch it on youtube - I like that bit where he pretends to smack her on the bum..... lol so cheeky :blush:

I think he was a really good contestant and I voted for him on some of the weeks but I do think he was rather favoured by the judges because they really wanted a female winner but they also wanted a male presence in the latter stages of the show - I just think him being a 50 year old black male was seen as the male that was the least threat to the producers' agenda for a female winner. I stress that I really like him, but did he deserve to be second in the swingathon for instance? I think they wanted him in the final but he'd been in the bottom 2 quite a few times so eventually they had to settle for an all female final.

Patrick was much better than Susannah Reid and should have been in the final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    1. Amused how (imo) Joanne's voice doesn't match how she looks (I can't properly explain this). She sounds really homely like say my 60 odd year old Auntie, but her look would have me thinking she'd sound more like someone else. It's truly no insult on my part, I like it, it confused me. lol.
    2. Liked when Joanne said she was small but mighty.
    3. Liked Joanne's facial expressions during the matching up process, I thought ironically she looked more relaxed than some of the other experienced Pros.
    4. Liked this year's Pro introduction dance segment the best out of recent years (can't really remember ones past 5 years in honesty) and thought all three Pros generally came across well, fractionally liked Tristan more than Trent (mainly on personality).
    5. Love the arrival of Joanne Clifton and glad Natalie Lowe's back.

I loved the show overall. Excited it's back.

Are you Joannes agent?
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick was much better than Susannah Reid and should have been in the final.

I agree that Patrick was better than Susanna Reid but he didn't have the public support that she had, hence he'd been in the bottom 2 quite a few times before the final, whereas she never had......when it got to the stage when he was in the dance off against Natalie in the semis, the judges had no choice but had to let him go.

Even if he'd made it to the final - I very much doubt he would have won. I stress that I did really like Patrick, but I do think he was given an easier time from the judges compared to say Ashley and I think that was because he was seen as the least threat to the producer's agenda of getting a female winner.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Pleased no more BF (but happy for him and his fans that he got a last hurrah)
    2. The show zipped along all the better for it (imo)
    3. Pleased to see Natalie back - good pairing with Tim, who seems like may be fun.
    4. Have others have had the Karen H vibe from Joanne? :)
    5. Steve and Ola feel like a possible Hollins mkII (?), and Scott Mills I sense might be a surprise in ballroom. Guess time will tell :D
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    1. Pleased no more BF (but happy for him and his fans that he got a last hurrah)
    2. The show zipped along all the better for it (imo)
    3. Pleased to see Natalie back - good pairing with Tim, who seems like may be fun.
    4. Have others have had the Karen H vibe from Joanne? :)
    5. Steve and Ola feel like a possible Hollins mkII (?), and Scott Mills I sense might be a surprise in ballroom. Guess time will tell :D

he has the best teacher!! Jo is an utterly sublime ballroom dancer :)
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanne seemed nice but she was a bit over the top for me. I will give her a chance though (how good of me :p) as she was probably just excited. She reminded me so much of Kevin though (Never! :o).
  • Mr McGoldrickMr McGoldrick Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Judy Murray - the only thing that was more rigid than Smokey's forehead.
    2. Kristina - could be her turn for the Glitterball.
    3. Frankie already better than wee Pixie.
    4. Aliona is the best spinner of all the dancers.
    5. No pains in the arse this year.................yet.
  • tinselgirltinselgirl Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    1. Loved the whole show from start to finish
    2. Thought Brucie's exit was extremely well handled
    3. Production was slick and professional
    4. Claudia and Tess work well together and seemed to be genuinely enjoying the whole experience
    5. Good to see judges strutting their stuff at the beginning

Fab fab fab
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    1) wow, cracking Launch Show!!
    2) I love Claudia, I don't miss Bruce
    3) some surprising pairings
    4) the band and singers are on fire - love them!
    5) seriously, Allison is annoying me already (sorry)

It's odd because Allison annoyed the heck out of me when she was on BB but I quite liked her on the launch show.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree but I also think the judges under instruction from the producers deliberately promted Patrick to hobble Ashley slightly as they didn't want another cute young male winner after two on the trot (not that I'm bitter Ashley never seemed that bothered about it and Ola has won already). I really liked Patrick but his paso in the semis as rubbish although I agree he deserved a place in the final better than Susannah although I think the fact that Susannah and Kevin were extraverts who knew how to play the media as opposed to the much quieter Patrick and Anya may have worked against them as older males don't tend to do that well unless they are the comedy contestant (leaving aside the debate about does race matter).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Natalie - delighted to see her back - wish she'd drawn a contender.
    Aliona could learn a thing or two from Natalie. The enthusiasm of Nat compared to Aliona's face and body language spoke volumes for their professionalism.
    Alison will get on my nerves - I just know it.
    Uninspiring line up imo.
    Judy - perhaps Anton is a good match for this famous by association lady. The more mature ladies struggle with latin and Anton can neither dance nor choreograph latin numbers.

I could have written this myself - agree with all points.

However, regarding Claudia and Tess, I think they should tone it down and try a more professional approach. They come across, in my opinion, like two giggly girls who can't believe they've got the job.
  • RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might be a controversial thing to say and I hope I don't get shouted down and I know Denise has made it to the finals too, but my impresssion is so far to win the actual thing if you're a black contestant you have to be the right shade of black. I hope one day I'm proved wrong and we have a good dancer/personality who is a darker shade of black than the previous black winners.

I also think unless they're really good that ethnic contestants tend to struggle for votes. Sometimes even when they're quite good they struggle for votes eg Spoony, Ray Fearon...

Agree somewhat. Firstly, hope that other posters don't see discussions of the effect of colour on the voting as racist. Dammit, I WANTED Colin Jackson to win in his year. Yes, Colin, Louis, Denise and Alesha were half black and Simon Webbe is very black. I have a gut feeling that, unlike with Spoony and Ray Fearon a lot of people will like Mr. Webbe if he turns out to be a good dancer, the ex-member of Blue coefficient being a factor.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1)Alison is going to bug the hell out of me
    2) idoes being the mother of a tennus player make you a celebrity
    3) Trents teeth bedazzled me and caused me to have spots in front of my eyes
    4) Craig bores me
    5) love Claudia and Tess together
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 : Bruce went on too long at the start
    2: Jennifer and Tristan look a good, fun couple
    3: Fav moment was Abbey/Alijaz waltz to that beautiful tune, gets me every time .
    4:Gregg and Aliona the awkward couple .
    5: Tess and Claudia had a great launch show .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinselgirl wrote: »
    1. Loved the whole show from start to finish
    2. Thought Brucie's exit was extremely well handled
    3. Production was slick and professional
    4. Claudia and Tess work well together and seemed to be genuinely enjoying the whole experience
    5. Good to see judges strutting their stuff at the beginning

Fab fab fab

This...

At least the judges on this show can dance and therefore suitable to judge, unlike the terrible so called singers on the Shite Factor...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Patrick was better than Susanna Reid but he didn't have the public support that she had, hence he'd been in the bottom 2 quite a few times before the final, whereas she never had......when it got to the stage when he was in the dance off against Natalie in the semis, the judges had no choice but had to let him go.

Even if he'd made it to the final - I very much doubt he would have won. I stress that I did really like Patrick, but I do think he was given an easier time from the judges compared to say Ashley and I think that was because he was seen as the least threat to the producer's agenda of getting a female winner.

Its sad that people just vote for who they like or who is popular rather than the dances! I adored Ashley and felt he was undermarked every week while Susannah was seriously overmarked. Sophie too. I think Ashley and patrick should have been in the final with Natalie and Abbey.
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly late with my 5! Could have sworn I've already done this though :blush: but a second time wouldn't hurt after re-watching!

1. Tess & Claudia are fantastic! Really positive viewing with them presenting :)
    2. I like all 3 of the new pro's, especially Tristan!
    3. I find Aliona's rudeness absolutely hilarious, there's no hiding that girls emotions :D
    4. Alison is my favourite based on personality so far.. looks like she can move too!
    5. The group dance was hilarious, Judy looks absolutely awful bless her :(
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    tobi wrote: »
    A lot of Claudia fans on here. I find her annoying and it was the only thing that turned me off this evening. Liked the pairings though

I agree, I just can't stand the wannabe presenter Winklle person, imo it looks completely wrong without a male Host....time will tell. Maybe the BBC are feeling the pinch.;-) Thank gawd for sky+ I will not have to listen to the ditzy one......
  • nwbrfcnwbrfc Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    1. Fast forwarded through the group dance - as always. It's pointless watching them all dance completely out of time, all trying to grab the camera.
    2. Claudia - by far the best presenter. A natural. Unlike Tess, who is too professional. But why oh why do they stand them together? The height difference is so noticeable and makes Claudia look like the naughty younger sister.
    3. The annoying dancing in front of the musical guests.
    4. Emelda and Smokey - did I still have my X Factor ears in? Because I thought Smokey was way off key.
    5. Len trying to make a rugby analogy about Thom - he was a winger, he's never spent a minute in a scrum!
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Loved Claudia and Tess. They are just great. The show was smoother with them leading it
    2. first sighting of the year of the The Man with the Hat
    3. Simon is irritating me already.
    4. Lovely to have Natalie back
    5. I like Sunetra and the wildlife bloke the best so far, no idea if either of them can dance though