Options

Doctor Who: Time Heist - 20/09/14 (BBC One/HD - 7.30pm) Discussion

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lanners wrote: »
    It could be people are watching it before commenting. Makes me laugh that people comment on things while watching epidoes of things like DH. Just watch it

I was interested to see if the comments were down. Very unscientifically I did a search for a random episode thread and found the one for S3 and The Shakespeare Code. It only just made page three by the end of the episode. So I guess these things vary alot and don't really reflect interest or anything like that.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted
    Excellent
    :)

For me, much, much better than last week.

I LOVED it!:)

And, as I've said before, I never post on the forum until after I have watched the programme.

And the Doctor is John Smith again next week!:)
  • Options
    BlocFFCBlocFFC Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good.

The pace was relatively high, 12 was in control which was pleasing and I liked the twist with the teller.

Two things really helped - the guest stars were great and Douglas McKinnon's directing was superb again.

9/10
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    Some people can multitask /shrug

I can multi task but writing comments all the time about the program you are watching seems counter productive to me. Especially if you have some people then mosting I couldn't follow that etc.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that solid and enjoyable. Not mind blowing, but some nice ideas about guilt and it looked good visually. Oh, and that is definitely my favourite Capaldi performance thus far. A 'good' from me.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed that at least! :) I've enjoyed something in S8 at last!

It actually felt like an episode of Doctor Who even though in the strictest terms it wasn't as such. There was plenty of music too throughout which was a nice thing and a good change from the blank misery that's been there mostly for the last month.

Peter was okay, but still not great. There's still something about him that doesn't work for me at all. Jenna was iffy too, but Saibre and Psi were okay, but not well developed (45 mins is an ask for that though I will admit)

Keeley Hawes was the star of this though. She may have camped it up but it was great, subtle villainy. The look of Delphox was great. I just sort of wish Keeley could have been held back for a recurring big villain role, something really juicy and evil. She was good though!

The directing was good in parts but a bit iffy for me but overall it was a good episode. Steve Thompson is a good writer, I always enjoy his Sherlock episodes, and this is probably his best ep of DW now - Curse of the Black Spot and then Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS in that order in terms of favourites from him for me.

Next week looks very reminiscent of the Lodger....is that a good sign? Hopefully, but one good episode doesn't make up for the disappointment I've had so far with Series 8....
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Some people can multitask /shrug

no one is that good to give an honest opinion of the episode before its even finished!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Was that the narrator from The Stanley Parable as the voice of the bank?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't! It would have been a big waste if it was, since it was unrecognisable as his voice.

Still, a very enjoyable episode in (in my opinion) a very strong run so far! My mum found it all rather scary, far more than Listen.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another cracker of an episode. Only "complaint" I'd have is that the ending was a little bit rushed and I'm not too sure it was satisfying, but I've seen worse and it was heartwarming enough.:)

Am I right in thinking that this makes Delphox the woman in the shop? The Doctor's reference to her earlier in the episode, plus him giving her his number seems to suggest it was.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fabulous stuff from such a different doctor, and beautifully done, it's already becoming a pleasure to watch

and LOVE the slomo

of course you do realise that it's DNA was a certain BBC heist serial :D

and they've done those quiet reflective endings very effectively, always showing something small .....

and was she at "the promised land" at the end of her life?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Another cracker of an episode. Only "complaint" I'd have is that the ending was a little bit rushed and I'm not too sure it was satisfying, but I've seen worse and it was heartwarming enough.:)

Am I right in thinking that this makes Delphox the woman in the shop? The Doctor's reference to her earlier in the episode, plus him giving her his number seems to suggest it was.

nope
    that was part of the episode, he doesn't know who it is :D
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Was it all just a bit fast and furious ?

Thought it was a little bit Hustle.
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel bad because I voted Poor, the lowest I've ever voted. Probably should have went average actually, I can definitely think of worse episodes. I'd rank this along side A Town called Mercy and Cold War. It was definitely watchable, but it's not something I'll be rushing to rewatch. Series 8 has been good, but only two have stood out as fantastic to me, Deep Breath and Listen.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't! It would have been a big waste if it was, since it was unrecognisable as his voice.

Still, a very enjoyable episode in (in my opinion) a very strong run so far! My mum found it all rather scary, far more than Listen.

It was, indeed.....
    @kevanthevoice · 15m
    The Narrator was a bit miffed that he didn't get a cast credit on tonight's @bbcdoctorwho
  • Options
    flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, marked it as 'good'. I really enjoyed the new dynamic Psi and Saibra brought and would love to see them back in the Tardis sometime. :)
  • Options
    ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was better than the 1st three eps, I called the twist very early on, but it was fun and I didn't get side track to make toast or anything else like in the first few eps so that was good
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's wasn't a bad ep, but it was a let down after last week's.

Still can't believe they named a character after a Pokemon.

CD93 wrote: »
    Was that the narrator from The Stanley Parable as the voice of the bank?

Yeah it was, we've known for ages that he was going to be in this series and my GF recognised his voice straight away.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    This week's wasn't a bad ep, but it was a let down after last week's.

Which one?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am loving the new doctor, he seems slightly sinister which is how i always thought he would be, yes the storylines aren't the best but he is lifting them simply because he seems to be very single-minded and cares more about the mission than who is travelling with him! i think this story showed that as he thought he was giving people a way out via death rather than risking everything to try and save them which is what previous doctors (david / matt) would do. he cares less which i like!
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's probably a coincidence. A lot of people know a lot of Gen I and II Pokémon, but very few people know about Gen VI. The writers have probably never heard of the Fire Psychic type starter. :D
    Which one?!

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Delphox
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the rest of the series going to be shown at 8:30 or just next week's episode?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't know how I want to vote yet it's better than good but maybe not quite excellent as | voted that last week and Listen was better.

I would say Very Good for now
  • Options
    krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I voted Good - I didn't think it was *quite* up to the standard of the last four episodes, but still found it very enjoyable, fast-moving and really quite sweet at the end. IMO Capaldi continues to be wonderful, as does Clara, and Psi and Saibra were very well-realised characters. :)
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I marked this as excellent. I enjoyed it more than last week's (although that, too, was excellent) largely because I followed it and understood where the plot was travelling - not something you can consistently say of Moffat-era stories.

Capaldi was very good, again. Having felt for a number of years that I can predict exactly how the Doctor is going to behave, I love Capaldi's unpredictablity. He's exactly the alien, mecurial doctor that the program has been waiting for over the past 9 years.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Is the rest of the series going to be shown at 8:30 or just next week's episode?

Episode 8 has been classed as too scary which is why it needs to be pushed back, so it's a safe bet it's the whole season.