Engaging first performance.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't seen the other half yet
  • SkyrahSkyrah Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was well impressed with Jake, he will go far in this completion. I won't be shocked to see him in the Final. :)
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she wasn't as good as I thought she would be

| get the feeling that she's been too busy to train properly
  • Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    She was very good, but I dont think she will win, celebs who have had dance training dont go on the "journey"

and we've still got tomorrow's celebs to see.

I agree that Caroline Flack was a contender, as was Jake Wood, from tonights bunch
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    I'll reserve judgement until tomorrow. On tonight's performance she is a contender but, I did prefer Jake's routine and thought he was the best dancer on the night.
  • JDarcyJDarcy Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who didn't think much at all of Pixie? I really really wanted to like her but there was just something off for me and her legs seemed quite stiff in her kicks. It's only week one so plenty of room for improvement but I just don't think she's as good as people are saying.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Thought that for ringers both Pixie and Caroline were a bit disappointing (both knew the routines well, but it lacked a certain drive). Perhaps we have been spoiled in the past with chief chairsitter DVO. Thought that Jake was the best on the night, sadly he didn't enter last year (much better shot as a male finalist, with the likes of Simon and Thom absent).
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    JDarcy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who didn't think much at all of Pixie? I really really wanted to like her but there was just something off for me and her legs seemed quite stiff in her kicks. It's only week one so plenty of room for improvement but I just don't think she's as good as people are saying.

No me too - I thought the actual jive foot and leg work was quite poor, especially from someone with so much dance experience. Her arms and general performance energy were good. She's confident and musical so the overall package is very presentable but Caroline Flack and the Eastenders guy both danced better imo.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Caroline was better tbh
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was amazing tonight and its only week 1

I think Jake was as good

And the girl from the Saturdays looked very good in the practice week. I'm expecting her to be better.

Pixie doesn't have much to endear her to people. Not that's she seems horrible, just a but bland.
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No me too - I thought the actual jive foot and leg work was quite poor, especially from someone with so much dance experience. Her arms and general performance energy were good. She's confident and musical so the overall package is very presentable but Caroline Flack and the Eastenders guy both danced better imo.

I was disappointed in Pixie, i thought that she had looked quite good at that early stage in the training video.I thought it really was going to progress nicely. It is difficult to master the jive action and correct posture for dancing jive, and being tall, will make it a little bit more difficult. Rather a stilted action, not much bounce, heavy action in general. Think the overall look would have been improved with a different dress, one with movement. Good for first dance though.
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    I thought Jake, Caroline and Pixie were all very good. I did feel a bit sorry for Scott, though. I wouldn't have placed him behind Judy and Tim.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Pixie was polished and looks great but that she wasn't as 'in' the dance as either Caroline or Jake. All three had a terrific first night though
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Jake & Caroline have more potential, but we need to see the rest first.
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like any of the choreography tonight except Pasha's and I thought Caroline did well. I don't get much warmth from the Hitler Youth poster couple, and I can't really see them as the type of couple the audience get behind in large numbers...I could see Frankie and Kevin doing so though. And if Thom is a Ramps type who says little off the floor but burns it up on it, then I can't see past him winning much.
  • DancesWithKatsDancesWithKats Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I thought Pixie did well but where was the jive?. There were a few kicks and flicks but, for me, it wasn't much of a jive. Not her fault though, down to the choreographer.
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there as much more salsa in it but I think thats the trouble with the show as it is now, so gimmicky and hardly any basic dance steps, so it is difficult to see the progresion if there is any. Of all the pros, Pasha is the only one I can see who retains most basic content where possible....not counting Natalie because of who she's with. I'm not impressed with most of the pros in the past few years to be honest, very unmemorable, whereas I can still go to youtube and watch Camilla's, Karen H's, Ian's, Erin's and Lilia's routines with pleasure.
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I thought Pixie was polished and looks great but that she wasn't as 'in' the dance as either Caroline or Jake. All three had a terrific first night though

Yes, I agree, Pet. Maybe it was nerves, maybe she wanted to hold something back - after all, it ruins the 'journey' if you're great from day one.

It takes more than being good to win Strictly - the celeb has to engage the audience so we want to pick up the phone to vote. I know there's no voting this week, but I wouldn't have voted for Pixie and Trent on tonight's performance, more because of the lack of engagement rather than the lack of dancing technique. Caroline impressed me a lot, but Jake surprised me.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    Yes, I agree, Pet. Maybe it was nerves, maybe she wanted to hold something back - after all, it ruins the 'journey' if you're great from day one.

It takes more than being good to win Strictly - the celeb has to engage the audience so we want to pick up the phone to vote. I know there's no voting this week, but I wouldn't have voted for Pixie and Trent on tonight's performance, more because of the lack of engagement rather than the lack of dancing technique. Caroline impressed me a lot, but Jake surprised me.

Spook! I've just been agreeing with you on another thread. We wise ones must stick together :p:p
  • Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in terms of getting a combination of dancing & selling it Jake was the best. Pixie was good but as others said not very present. Caroline was good and a solid opener but she didn't really "wow" me.

Judy was definitely definitely the worst. She didn't just do steps badly she got them wrong and fluffed it up really obviously on several occasions. I felt really bad for her. :( Tim's clearly out to have fun and be the entertainer but every step he did was onto his heel which is pretty grating to watch.

Scott wasn't great either but he was better than Judy and Tim!

If there was a vote I would vote for Jake.
  • PinkDiamondPinkDiamond Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if my expectations were too high having seen Pixie's training video. I thought she was going to be amazing, but on the night I preferred Caroline and Jake's performances. Judgement on hold until tomorrow night though.
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if my expectations were too high having seen Pixie's training video. I thought she was going to be amazing, but on the night I preferred Caroline and Jake's performances. Judgement on hold until tomorrow night though.

I agree, based on who danced today.