Options

Kinect Games, the good and bad

lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
Forum Member
✭✭
As Kinect is new there are only a few titles out, however some are better than others.

It may be helpful to list what we've tried in a thread so people can have a clue when they come to buying a game if it's a good buy or a goodbye.

Kinect Adventures - Not bad. Demo disk, but actually quite fun, especially the river rapids. Wouldn't pay for it, but I do play it.

Fighters Caged - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! This is a shockingly crap game that is so poor it should be illegal to even sell it!
I bought this yesterday, tried it out last night, swapped it today in Game. It really was that rubbish.
Plenty of reviews slating this and they're right, it's abysmal. It's more like a demo than a game and paying anything more than £5 for it is insulting, unfortunately it's currently selling for around £30-40.
It's inaccurate, it doesn't mirror your moves and you spend most of the time punching and kicking the air to little effect.
You can also only do the moves that it allows you to do when it allows you to do them, so if you want to crouch and sweep kick your opponent, no you can't, until it tells you that you can which is only now and then.

Kinect Sports - Similar to Wii Sports and lots of fun. This is a great first game for the Kinect and a nice one to play with your family or friends. Obviously we're hoping more comes of the Kinect than simple sports games, but this is actually very enjoyable - even if the lastability may be short.

Comments

• Options
    Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kinect Adventures-Good fun everyone from 3-83 can play it.

Kinect SPORTS-Brilliant fun for the family.The kids love it watching mum and dad pretending its all good fun but desperate to beat each other.

Dance Central-Excellent fun I always new i had Da moves, Now my kids know it to

Kintecimals-Youngest daughter(10) absolutley loves it. Its just a series of mini games for you and your virtual pet to go through. A slight story of treasure hunting links the mini games. But great fun.
  • Options
    Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    As Kinect is new there are only a few titles out, however some are better than others.

It may be helpful to list what we've tried in a thread so people can have a clue when they come to buying a game if it's a good buy or a goodbye.

Kinect Adventures - Not bad. Demo disk, but actually quite fun, especially the river rapids. Wouldn't pay for it, but I do play it.

Fighters Caged - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! This is a shockingly crap game that is so poor it should be illegal to even sell it!
    I bought this yesterday, tried it out last night, swapped it today in Game. It really was that rubbish.
    Plenty of reviews slating this and they're right, it's abysmal. It's more like a demo than a game and paying anything more than £5 for it is insulting, unfortunately it's currently selling for around £30-40.
    It's inaccurate, it doesn't mirror your moves and you spend most of the time punching and kicking the air to little effect.
    You can also only do the moves that it allows you to do when it allows you to do them, so if you want to crouch and sweep kick your opponent, no you can't, until it tells you that you can which is only now and then.

Kinect Sports - Similar to Wii Sports and lots of fun. This is a great first game for the Kinect and a nice one to play with your family or friends. Obviously we're hoping more comes of the Kinect than simple sports games, but this is actually very enjoyable - even if the lastability may be short.

Go for some of the cheevos on Kinect sports they're great. Getting the super saver achievement nearly sent me mental.

Try it, all you have to do is save 100 penalties. Hpw hard can it be????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dance game is on my list as is the EA Fitness game with the heart monitor for the wife, she prefers that sort of stuff to the gym.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    The your shape fitness game is meant to be good and i have bought it just not got round to using it yet will report back when i do :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't stop playing boxing last night on Kinect Sports. That was a proper fighting game and more responsive than Fighters Caged which is a surprise because it's only a mini game!
  • Options
    HelenThereseHelenTherese Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    There's a really funny video on Youtube of some guy playing Joyrides(?) and he is just sitting there not moving his arms and still manages 3rd place.

Doesn't look brilliant.

I'll see if I can post the link.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Joy Ride has auto steer so you steer in the nessessary direction with no movement which is bemusing. I also caught that video.
  • Options
    HelenThereseHelenTherese Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    We have Adventures and Sports which the kids are permanently on!

I have the Active 2 game which I have been using for a week. I hope it works on getting me fit as I feel like it should be. I've never been so knackered when working out! Davina is much kinder!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    There's a really funny video on Youtube of some guy playing Joyrides(?) and he is just sitting there not moving his arms and still manages 3rd place.

Doesn't look brilliant.

I'll see if I can post the link.

Here you go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just a wee question here, does anyone know if I kinect is region specific? I'm just wondering if I can buy one here in the UK and be able to use it it Canada.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hardware should work with any Xbox 360 from any region.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    The hardware should work with any Xbox 360 from any region.

thankyou :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dance Central really is tempting me, just for the possibility of horrific drunken performances.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    ToomaMcC wrote: »
    Dance Central really is tempting me, just for the possibility of horrific drunken performances.

I love it. you end up looking like a right muppet and plus i realise i have no co-ordination as the mirror effect always throws me off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member

I wish I had read that before I bought it.:o its by far the worst game ive ever played on any platform. Avoid like the Plague Indeed!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you agree and sorry you didn't read that before your purchase.

I felt cheated and insulted after I bought it. To call it a complete game, never mind give it a full price tag, is just disgusting! I suspect this will be one of the majority titles on the pre-owned section of Game with so many taking it back and not many buying it after that :D

I cannot get over how crap it is. I've played poor games in the past but they've just about all had their good points or at least felt like a complete title. This one just feels like someone coded it in their bedroom and released it on Facebook as a short app. It's useless, horrible and a complete disappointment to the Kinect system. I can't slate it enough!!
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was actually looking at getting it too until I read reviews on gaming sites about how poor it was. Glad to see for once the reviewers were right and that the consumers agree with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I was actually looking at getting it too until I read reviews on gaming sites about how poor it was. Glad to see for once the reviewers were right and that the consumers agree with them.

I am really glad that I saved you some money and prevented someone else falling foul to this poor excuse of a game :)