Options

Landlord wants whole house decorated.

curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry, this is rather a long post, but I'd value peoples' advice .

My elder daughter & her partner have lived in the same rented house for 5 years. The paintwork newly done when they moved in, & they've been model tenants ( according to their letting agents )
Now their landlady has said she's going to have the whole of the interior of their house decorated in one week. I thought Landlords usually redecorated between tenants, not insisted on doing it mid tenancy.

This means they're going to have to pack the entire contents of their house into boxes, & move them from one room to another at the painters progress.

My elder daughter's got a long term neck & back chronic injury, which means she can't lift heavy boxes.
Her partner's got a very stressful job, is on anti anxiety medication & is often asked to work away from home at very short notice.

Can their landlady do this ? & have they got grounds for trying to persuade her to compromise, on the grounds that she's being unreasonable ?

Comments

• Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Sorry, this is rather a long post, but I'd value peoples' advice .

My elder daughter & her partner have lived in the same rented house for 5 years. The paintwork newly done when they moved in, & they've been model tenants ( according to their letting agents )
    Now their landlady has said she's going to have the whole of the interior of their house decorated in one week. I thought Landlords usually redecorated between tenants, not insisted on doing it mid tenancy.

This means they're going to have to pack the entire contents of their house into boxes, & move them from one room to another at the painters progress.

My elder daughter's got a long term neck & back chronic injury, which means she can't lift heavy boxes.
    Her partner's got a very stressful job, is on anti anxiety medication & is often asked to work away from home at very short notice.

Can their landlady do this ? & have they got grounds for trying to persuade her to compromise, on the grounds that she's being unreasonable ?
    Hi Curmy

1) The Landlady is not being unreasonable, so long as there are no underhand reasons.

2) Compromise, explain the situation to the LL/agency, the LL can't deliberately inconvenience you but having workmen in can be inconvenient but maintenance has to be carried out.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one needs to pack up the entire contents of a room and shift them out when a room is being decorated. That's just making it difficult for yourself.

Furniture to the middle of the room, drop cloths, and bob is your uncle.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are they moaning about? The place is being redecorated. Most tenants would jump at that opportunity.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Painters are used to working around peoples clutter and will probably be used to moving sofa's etc out of the way and covering anything to prevent splashes
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    What are they moaning about? The place is being redecorated. Most tenants would jump at that opportunity.

did you read the op? all the information is in it.
  • Options
    maximomaximo Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    The answer will lie in their tenancy agreement. If the right to re-enter and decorate is contained in the agreement then the landlord is entitled to do that. If it is not mentioned in the agreement then she has no right to enter for such extensive decoration and disruption to the tenants' right to exclusive possession of their property. Landlords have a right to enter property to avert disaster without notice but otherwise can enter only as provided for in the agreement. Cosmetic redecoration is not an emergency to be averted and is a breach of the express / implied covenant for quiet enjoyment of their property. I would advise your daughter to go to CAB or see a solicitor.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    No one needs to pack up the entire contents of a room and shift them out when a room is being decorated. That's just making it difficult for yourself.

Furniture to the middle of the room, drop cloths, and bob is your uncle.

This!

This is what my parents used to do, they may have packed away ornaments and things like that but not the entire contents of a room
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless there is any special reason to continue to live there then maybe give notice to quit?

Or state that she will do this if this uncalled for decoration goes ahead.

Of course, they might actually have to follow through with the threat to quit and move.
    Landlords take special courses in being power-crazed insensitive bastards you see. The only thing that get's through to them is money.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Hi Curmy

1) The Landlady is not being unreasonable, so long as there are no underhand reasons.

2) Compromise, explain the situation to the LL/agency, the LL can't deliberately inconvenience you but having workmen in can be inconvenient but maintenance has to be carried out.
    This - if they've been model tenants, they would have had a decent relationship with the landlady (which is something that they value too) and perhaps come to compromise or solution.
    It's a redecoration that might enhance their stay in the house better than it has been before! :) At the most, your daughter could stay with you and put her furniture in storage for the week.
    maximo wrote: »
    The answer will lie in their tenancy agreement. If the right to re-enter and decorate is contained in the agreement then the landlord is entitled to do that. If it is not mentioned in the agreement then she has no right to enter for such extensive decoration and disruption to the tenants' right to exclusive possession of their property. Landlords have a right to enter property to avert disaster without notice but otherwise can enter only as provided for in the agreement. Cosmetic redecoration is not an emergency to be averted and is a breach of the express / implied covenant for quiet enjoyment of their property. I would advise your daughter to go to CAB or see a solicitor.
    Even if it's not mentioned in the agreement, you can have verbal agreements too (although a pain to prove). Plus it's not an unreasonable request and the landlady's given notice for something that seemingly happens every five years.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    It is a condition of your tenancy that you allow reasonable access for necessary repair work. If the work is an improvement, such as putting in a shower when you didn’t have one before, your landlord doesn't have to 'make good' afterwards. But they need to get your permission before they can carry out any improvement work, so you might want to insist on an agreement that any damage is repaired before you agree to improvement work on your home.

Above info taken from this Shelter page: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets/disruption_and_poor_work

I suggest you buy your own dust sheets like these polythene ones from Wilkinson's that I have used myself when a property I was renting was double glazed: http://www.wilko.com/preparation/wilko-polythene-dust-sheet-12x9ft/invt/0343811 and as Espresso posted, move the furniture in the centre of the room (or ask the landlord to get the decorators to do it, if you trust them to move your stuff without damaging it), and make sure that all the floors especially access routes are covered too.

Take photos with the date imprinted on them of furniture and fixtures/fittings/anything you can't hide under sheets then if they are splashed with paint etc you have proof, and can put in a claim, if your landlord has agreed to this first.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How lovely that the owner of the property wants to decorate it.
    I would just offer to help them out shifting stuff around from room to room if I was you, or if you can not help out I am sure some other nice person can if they can not do it themselves.
    Decorators are quite apt at moving stuff as well if needs be, but it is always good to try to sort it yourself.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    Landlords have to periodically maintain their properties, which includes general decorating.

Quite often this is done between tenancies, but sometimes if it's a longterm tenancy it has to be done with an existing occupying tenant.

Landlords are well within their rights to do this occasionally.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how the landlady is being unreasonable tbh.

If the last time it was decorated was 5 years ago - I'd be more than happy to have the whole house redecorated. I think it's a tad excessive to say everything has to be packed up and moved out of every room. As others have suggested, furniture in the middle of the room under a dust sheet. Sorted.

If they've been model tenants, then I'd imagine they'd be on good terms with the landlady. Explain your worries and the landlady may be able to put you at ease.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maximo wrote: »
    Bloody hell!!!!! talk about a sledge hammer, how about an agreement, working with each other.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Bloody hell!!!!! talk about a sledge hammer, how about an agreement, working with each other.

Yeah I agree with you in principle. Unfortunately not all landlords and tenants can work with each other. I missed that post by maximo but I'm pretty sure it can be ignored and that redecorating is classed as improving the property, so the landlord can do it without reference to the tenancy agreement.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did you read the op? all the information is in it.

Of course I read it. I said stop moaning because most landlords won't decorate for you. So be grateful.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a renter I would have jumped at the opportunity to have the whole house decorated. My landlords usually had no interest in doing anything unless they had to.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I am more in the camp of 'whats the problem'.

Yes it is an inconvenience, but

- how can the landlord redecorate in between tenants when this is seemingly a very long term let
    - what if the landlord doesnt redecorate and then when the tenants move out and the inventory and check list is done, they can accuse the tenant of making marks or damage to the decor and charge this from the deposit?
    - as others have said, move your stuff to the centre of the room and just take lightweight things out of the room bit by bit
    - who wouldnt love to have their whole house decorated
    - I assume that as the tenants have been there for so long, they like having the house, the rent is ok and the location is good, therefore dont rock the boat by going to solicitors and CAB. All the landlord has to do in that situation is simply give notice and follow the procedures to chuck them out.

She presumably has at least one sibling and a mother who cares about her so why cant her family help her out? Can you store some stuff in your own loft or home for a couple of weeks whilst this goes on?
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    When I was a renter I would have jumped at the opportunity to have the whole house decorated. My landlords usually had no interest in doing anything unless they had to.

I've been in rented accommodation for years, would love it if the landlord redecorated. Starts looking grubby after 5 years. I'm no good at painting. :blush:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    - I assume that as the tenants have been there for so long, they like having the house, the rent is ok and the location is good, therefore dont rock the boat by going to solicitors and CAB. All the landlord has to do in that situation is simply give notice and follow the procedures to chuck them out.

This is the key point. It's not worth making a fuss as the landlord would be well within their rights to serve notice for the tenants to move out and then take as long as they want over redecorating.

It sounds like the OP has a good landlord (which is a rare thing) so just be grateful that they are wanting to look after the property.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Why on earth would they have to move 'the entire contents of their house into boxes'?! That's just silly. The decorators will work around their stuff, covering furniture with dust sheets and moving it about as and when required.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stick the breakable stuff in boxes out of the way and take stuff like clocks etc down from the walls and job done, the decorators will work around everything shifting and lifting what needs to be done, just make sure you agree the colours before hand as it'll be 5 years before it happens again. Also get it done while the weathers good as trade paint can not half produce a lot of moisture as it dries so ventilation is important and if someone has a sensitive throat as well
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH is a decorator and of course ideally decorating an empty room is preferable, although with his customers this is rare.

Professional decorators are well used to working around other peoples shit.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a dream come true for me if someone came in and decorated my house. It isn't going to happen thoughts I own mine.
  • Options
    PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Unless there is any special reason to continue to live there then maybe give notice to quit?

Or state that she will do this if this uncalled for decoration goes ahead.

Of course, they might actually have to follow through with the threat to quit and move.
    Landlords take special courses in being power-crazed insensitive bastards you see. The only thing that get's through to them is money.

What?? :o

You're joking, right?

And if not, then you have a very strange attitude.