Options

Loadsamoney!!!!

Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
Forum Member
✭✭
Yesterday my wife and I had lunch in a nearby restaurant.
In the evening it's reasonably costly but serves quality food very well presented.
For lunch they offer one course for £7, two for £9 - scaled down menu.
A woman entered with 4 children, I'd say between 5 and 10 and they sat opposite us.
I remarked to my wife that it was a costly exercise for 5 people with additional drinks.
It took her a while to organise the children into choosing a meal and drink and the usual "need the toilet" palaver.
Then to our astonishment she reached into her bag and passed them an iPad each!!
Any sympathy I had for the expense of taking 4 children into a restaurant instantly evaporated.

Comments

• Options
    ChopanChopan Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An iPad into a restaurant for them four? Wow.. :o
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What size bag? Whose iPad was whose?

In my day we sent our children to boarding school once the Nannies were superfluous.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My little boy can be seen with an iphone, playing mega run and games like that. He does not own said iphone. Just because you see a kid packing an expensive gadget does not mean they own it.

Also its worth considering this, would you judge the family in the same way if the kids had a playstation or xbox?*

*While an iPad is more expensive than a current gen games console (just the console) it is cheaper overall when you consider the games are £40+ a pop. You could argue that a tablet is better value for money and I know a few parents who have purchased tablets instead of games consoles because they are more economical. Games on a tablet are generally much, much cheaper, if not free.

You can use the same argument against a laptop, considering they get the games maching built into the tablet.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What size bag? Whose iPad was whose?

In my day we sent our children to boarding school once the Nannies were superfluous.

And most importantly, were they iPad minis, 2nd generations or iPad Airs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    My little boy can be seen with an iphone, playing mega run and games like that. He does not own said iphone. Just because you see a kid packing an expensive gadget does not mean they own it.
    They had individual children's cases on the iPads.
    I saw two the children key in personal codes to unlock the screens.
    It's reasonable to assume they "owned" them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    And most importantly, were they iPad minis, 2nd generations or iPad Airs?

I hate the iPad mini, it was probably the mini tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had individual children's cases on the iPads.
    I saw two the children key in personal codes to unlock the screens.
    It's reasonable to assume they "owned" them.

Well like I said, an iPad is more economical than a games console plus a laptop (which are reasonable things kids want/need) so I don't think its an over indulgent thing for them to own. You're making an assumption which could be completely wrong.

Also, maybe they have consoles, laptops and iPads. So what? If their parents can afford it then that's great. I don't see the need to get all judgemental about such things.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP just sounds a tad bitter and jealous that the woman appeared to be considerably wealthier than him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    OP just sounds a tad bitter and jealous that the woman appeared to be considerably wealthier than him.

Of course they are, people tend to either admire success or resent it with little inbetween.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    In the evening it's reasonably costly but serves quality food very well presented.
    A woman entered with 4 children, I'd say between 5 and 10 and they sat opposite us.
    I remarked to my wife that it was a costly exercise for 5 people with additional drinks.
    It took her a while to organise the children into choosing a meal and drink and the usual "need the toilet" palaver.
    Then to our astonishment she reached into her bag and passed them an iPad each!!
    Any sympathy I had for the expense of taking 4 children into a restaurant instantly evaporated.

Why did you sympathise in the first place? £9 per meal is hardly ritz prices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your definition of " considerably wealthier" is interesting.
    Four iPads?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet the bastards ate their meal holding their knives and forks in the wrong hands too. Hanging's too good for 'em I say.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£9 each is pretty much a bargain for a sit-down two course meal.

As for the iPads, what's wrong with someone being able to buy things?

I personally wouldn't but my kids an iPad each if I had that sort of money, but if that's what the woman chooses to spend her money on then that's up to her.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the ipads kept them quiet, I would consider it money well spent.

I can't think of anything worse that sitting in a restaurant, trying to have quiet meal near a table with four children.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Four iPads?

What's your point? She can spend her money on what we likes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Why did you sympathise in the first place? £9 per meal is hardly ritz prices.
    The children were having difficulty sticking to anything on the set menu.
    Pate, calamari, risotto, minute steak?
    And £50/60 isn't a throwaway is it?
  • Options
    ChopanChopan Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes:)
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did your wife not get a bit annoyed that you were paying such in an interest in a family of complete strangers?
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Perhaps mum knew the food was crap so they were all ordering takeaways on just-eat?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

I don't get it. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's your point? She can spend her money on what we likes
    Of course she can. I don't define wealth in terms of x iPads.
    The poster did.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    Of course they are, people tend to either admire success or resent it with little inbetween.
    Four iPads?

Calm down, calm down.

OP where was the father? Was he outside smoking a ****? Oi! No! He doesn't want to do that.

It's so unfair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. A meal out for 4, for £50/60 is hardly expensive
    2. Why were you listening in to what they were ordering?
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member

Chances are if they couldn't afford to eat there, they wouldn't. £60 for 5 people is a pretty good price actually and you'll probably find a kids menu price is cheaper.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

It's not throwaway, but for 5 people, it's not exactly breaking the bank either, is it?