Buying Windows 7 on eBay

124»

Comments

• TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why not if its a factory restore it will wipe whatever is there already and start from fresh.

Will it though or does it rely in that partition?
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Will it though or does it rely in that partition?

Normally the restore partition is hidden and you activate the restore with a key combo like ALT F10 when re-booting to run the restore software.

My assumption would be that the usb key has all the software needed to totally set the HDD to factory state including the recovery partition otherwise what would the point be?

Also I would have thought it shouldn't be necessary to delete the recovery partition, you should just be able to install windows 7 on the main partition.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Can I just check.... If I did get Windows 7, did a fresh install, this would mean I'd have to delete all partitions on the HDD including any recovery partitions. If I did this, would I ever be able to use my factory default restore USB stick I made again?

I must be able to right, as if the hard drive ever fails, I presume I could use my factory default USB stick to put the new drive into the factory state the original drive was in?

I can't believe you've thinking of changing your mind again but...

Yes, the factory restore USB stick would put the hard disk back exactly as it was, even if you deleted partitions etc. it's designed to work if the hard disk fails and is replaced, so it has to restore everything.