Help! my cat is pregnant and I need advice on when the kittens are born

1121314151618»

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    We made the foolish mistake of allowing our cat to have one litter before getting her spayed, but every time we went to the vets she was pregnant again!

She loved having kittens and really was in her element when looking after them bless her, she also knew exactly what to do every time with no intervention from ourselves - we just made sure she had somewhere comfortable to give birth (although she chose the spot every time so we just had to make sure she had enough old towels!).
    We tried our best to get her spayed but you have to leave it x amount of weeks since birth before you can take them to the vets, and by then she was pregnant again! As an outdoor cat we couldn't exactly keep her indoors.

She loved giving birth though and had really wide beady eyes when with her kittens (you could tell she adored them).

edit: Whoops wrong account!

Hello. I know these posts are very old, but I'd like to echo other people's points.

Winnie is/was an outdoor cat. Up until 4 months ago, she spent most of her life outside. When we noticed that she was pregnant (roughly 5 weeks), we made the decision to keep her indoors (I'd like to thank people on here for telling me that she could be pregnant again within 2 weeks of giving birth, otherwise she'd have been let out after giving birth).

I felt awful for keeping Winnie indoors as I know how much she likes to be outside; but I did it because I love her. I saw her go through pregnancy getting bigger as the weeks went on, and I saw how uncomfortable she was. I also saw her give birth, and she appeared to be in a LOT of pain. For that reason, I do not want her pregnant again, so she has been kept in for 4 months. In 3 weeks time, she'll be allowed outside again as she will have had her stiches removed.

We've had to keep windows closed for 4 months, but it will be worth it. The last thing I'd want is to see her pregnant again.

Just because your cat looks at her litter with adoration each time she gives birth, does not mean that she enjoys being pregnant. The very least you can do is get her spayed.

For your cat's sake, I sincerely hope you get her spayed; even if that does mean keeping her indoors for the next few weeks. As a pet owner you take full responsibilty for them and care for them as best you can; that includes neautering them.

Having read this back, I realise that it sounds/looks like a lecture, but I hope you take these points on board.

Mimi
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mimi
    What a lovely *Educational* post!:) ! A Lesson to all peeps that thinks its *aww babes is pregnant*......what happens to little kitties..........
    Forum Member
    Mimi
    What a lovely *Educational* post!:) ! A Lesson to all peeps that thinks its *aww babes is pregnant*......what happens to little kitties..........

I'm glad somebody agrees with me. Of course I'm not the perfect pet owner as Winnie was not spayed at 6 months old and we allowed her to have a litter of kittens, but we're making sure it doesn't happen again.
  • timewarpbunnytimewarpbunny Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Mimi, if I could like your post on here I would. It's a fab post.

Can I add that if you can't afford to have your cat spayed or neutered then Cats Protection will be able to help you out with a voucher towards the cost OR in some areas we will neuter for free if you are on housing benefit or LHA. Please always ask for help, it's better than having an unwanted litter.
    Forum Member
    Mimi, if I could like your post on here I would. It's a fab post.

Can I add that if you can't afford to have your cat spayed or neutered then Cats Protection will be able to help you out with a voucher towards the cost OR in some areas we will neuter for free if you are on housing benefit or LHA. Please always ask for help, it's better than having an unwanted litter.

Thank you. :)

I'd also like to add that although you (not you, timewarpbunny, the person the post is directed at) may have been lucky enough to find homes for all of your kittens the first time round,but you may not be so lucky the second (or third, fourth etc).

ETA - Whilst speaking to the RSPCA the other day, I was told that over 2000 cats and kittens are put to sleep a day. It's worth thinking about.
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Thank you. :)

I'd also like to add that although you (not you, timewarpbunny, the person the post is directed at) may have been lucky enough to find homes for all of your kittens the first time round,but you may not be so lucky the second (or third, fourth etc).
    That's very true. I had a look at pets 4 homes website yesterday and there is a little BSH kitten who has been advertised on there for about 3 weeks now - the price keeps dropping but still no takers. I feel so sorry for him, but I am getting a kitten from a friend in 3 weeks time so I can't really contemplate taking him on as well (along with the two I already have), but it is so sad to see him there week after week. Hopefully he'll get a new home soon. I think the owner may have been asking too much money for him to start with as he isn't GCCF registered. I can see no other reason for no one wanting the little sweetie.
    Forum Member
    Shadow70 wrote: »
    That's very true. I had a look at pets 4 homes website yesterday and there is a little BSH kitten who has been advertised on there for about 3 weeks now - the price keeps dropping but still no takers. I feel so sorry for him, but I am getting a kitten from a friend in 3 weeks time so I can't really contemplate taking him on as well (along with the two I already have), but it is so sad to see him there week after week. Hopefully he'll get a new home soon. I think the owner may have been asking too much money for him to start with as he isn't GCCF registered. I can see no other reason for no one wanting the little sweetie.

Aww bless him :(:cry: I hope he finds a home soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are winnie and bungle doing today?
    Forum Member
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    How are winnie and bungle doing today?

They're good thank you. :) Winnie escaped this morning! :eek: Managed to get her indoors within 5 minutes, thankfully. I've never seen her run so fast.

Bungle is sat on my lap at the moment. :)

We have to change Winnie's appointment at the vet unfortunately. It clashes with my brother's golf competition that my parents go to every year. She's going to have to be spayed on Monday instead, bless her.
    Forum Member
    Just changed Winnie's spaying date. She is going to be spayed next Wednesday at 9am.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have given it a go with the mushy food today with the kittens. None were interested in the slightest the first couple of times. The last time I put some on Alonzo's face he licked it off and seemed to enjoy it, and Mistoffelees has started to sniff around and stick his face in the food bowls. To me, these are encouraging signs compared to before I started trying to wean them!

This is actually my first experience with kittens, and i've personally found it amazing to see how much they develop and grow week by week. Even though they're only just over four weeks old now, they seem huge in comparison to when they were born. They're each gaining their own personalities as well which I find hugely interesting. Hopefully when they reach a good age to leave their mother then they'll be able to find loving new homes, and then mother cat will get her second chance too.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have given it a go with the mushy food today with the kittens. None were interested in the slightest the first couple of times. The last time I put some on Alonzo's face he licked it off and seemed to enjoy it, and Mistoffelees has started to sniff around and stick his face in the food bowls. To me, these are encouraging signs compared to before I started trying to wean them!

This is actually my first experience with kittens, and i've personally found it amazing to see how much they develop and grow week by week. Even though they're only just over four weeks old now, they seem huge in comparison to when they were born. They're each gaining their own personalities as well which I find hugely interesting. Hopefully when they reach a good age to leave their mother then they'll be able to find loving new homes, and then mother cat will get her second chance too.

There is lots of stuff on the Internet about kitten development milestones.

A friend who used to breed pedigree british shorthairs didn't actively wean them - they weaned themselves by investigating their mother's food. At first it was very messy - they sort of swam in it - but the cleaned themselves and that got them into eating it. Her cat had very large litters for the breed (6, 8 and 6 kittens) and we noticed the bigger litter started earlier on food. We were also surprised how early they would start eating biscuits - they might not have had many teeth but they must have had hard gums.

I used to have some photos of the kittens on the Internet but since she stopped breeding the website has gone away.
    Forum Member
    I notice that Thomas Poots either hasn't seen my post, or is choosing to completely ignore it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    There is lots of stuff on the Internet about kitten development milestones.

I keep browsing various sites for information. I think i'm turning into one of those new mother types - panicking because their child isn't following what it says in books/on the internet. All four of them have turned their noses up at the food so far, but I keep persevering. They did, however, start eating the cat litter which I found slightly bizarre. Happily, they seem to have stopped eating the litter, and instead have started using the litter trays for the proper purpose!
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IAll four of them have turned their noses up at the food so far, but I keep persevering.

Don't worry, they will start eating food in their own good time when they are ready. So long as they continue to grow (you weigh them?) all is well.
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    If you are around, she will let you know when she is ready and she will want you to sit next to her, stroke her head or whatever. She'll just get on with it and, unless there appear to be problems, the kittens will pop up. Hope there aren't too many!

We had this with a young cat we took in - no more than a kitten really. She had three kittens on our sofa. She was small so we were prepared to rush her to the vet if it was all taking too long but she was fine. Didn't stop washing them for weeks and the "singing" when they were all plugged in, feeding, was wonderful. It was a lovely experience.

That was May 2001. We kept the kittens, all girls. All four were neutered. We still have mother cat and two kittens (one died of an illness aged 4.5). Mum, who is half their size, gives them a wallop occasionally as if to say, "Why haven't you left home?", but on the whole they peacefully co-exist.

You don't have to do much except change the covering they are sleeping on regularly and make sure mum has lots to eat and drink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    Don't worry, they will start eating food in their own good time when they are ready. So long as they continue to grow (you weigh them?) all is well.

Yeah i've been weighing them to make sure! Happily the eldest has started eating the kitten biscuits today - I presumed he was just sniffing at them until I moved to get a better view and he was crunching away! :)
    Forum Member
    Afternoon :)

We took our pet carrier back to argos and managed to get a refund. We'll be borrowing our neighbour's pet carrier for Winnie tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to her being spayed because she'll only have to stay indoors for another 2 weeks. I bet she can't wait to go outside again.

We got Bungle her first collar today. She looks weird with it on at the moment though, bless her. :p
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if anyone even uses this thread anymore - but Winnie was spayed yesterday. She has to wait for a week and then she can go outside.
    Forum Member
    I just lifted Bungle so that she could see Sooty next door (one of winnie's kittens) and they hissed at each other. :o

I lifted Winnie so that she could see her kitten, they hissed at each other

:o:p

Maybe they'll like each other in a few months time.