Man gets out of car and shouts at mobile phone user

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was driving home and stopped at some lights. I heard a shout and looked over to the third lane (they were turning right) and some guy has got out of his car and shouting at the top of his voice "get off the bloody phone" to the car behind him. The person in the car just continued with phone pressed up to his ear.

The irate man then just got back in his car and drove off. How bizarre.

I do agree using your mobile can be dangerous though I'm not sure I'd have gone to the lengths of this concerned citizen.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't do that either but I agree with the sentiment. What right do these arsewipes have to put the rest of us at risk?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I had the nerve to confront all the young women who text as they are driving behind me going to work . I keep expecting to get shunted from behind .
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, what makes them so important that they feel they can break the law and use their phones while driving. I'm sure people would be quick to react if they saw someone swigging a bottle of wine while waiting at the lights. Mobile phone use while driving is dangerous, as is drinking, but people just seem to carry on using their phones regardless. I actually hate mobile phones if I'm honest.

I think the bloke did right!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually not mobile phone related but yesterday and this morning I was being followed by someone driving too fast and too close and doing anything they could think of to avoid focusing on driving their car and looking out of the big glass thing glued to the front of their car. yesterday it was squawking brat, dashboard, radio, glovebox. This morning it was drink, food, radio glovebox.

I'm braking in traffic and I glance in my mirror to see them arsing about with something behind them or on the seat oblivious to the traffic stopping in front of them.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simply no enforcement!

they'd be bothered if they had their cars taken away from them THEN!!!
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    I wish I had the nerve to confront all the young women who text as they are driving behind me going to work . I keep expecting to get shunted from behind .

I love being shunted from behind.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »

I am waiting for someone to do just that. I reversed into a wall last month and need a new tailgate. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, what makes them so important that they feel they can break the law and use their phones while driving. I'm sure people would be quick to react if they saw someone swigging a bottle of wine while waiting at the lights. Mobile phone use while driving is dangerous, as is drinking, but people just seem to carry on using their phones regardless. I actually hate mobile phones if I'm honest.

I think the bloke did right!

Is that actually illegal, though? Driving whilst drunk/over the limit is, but what about drinking alcohol whilst remaining within the legal limits?
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    With all the bells and whistles you get on mobile phones these days, I wish the manufacturers would come up with a device that was able to recognise when the user was driving, and make the phone switch itself off until they pulled over in a safe place. I'm not sure how it would work though.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was driving home and stopped at some lights. I heard a shout and looked over to the third lane (they were turning right) and some guy has got out of his car and shouting at the top of his voice "get off the bloody phone" to the car behind him. The person in the car just continued with phone pressed up to his ear.

I do agree using your mobile can be dangerous though I'm not sure I'd have gone to the lengths of this concerned citizen.

I'd never do that, although I can see his point of view.

The woman in front of me wouldn't move when the lights changed to green a couple of days ago, due to the fact that she had her head down, presumably texting.

I had to give a pap of my horn before she'd go (bet somebody will tell me that's illegal)
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member

Not surer about the use of the word 'can' there .

It is dangerous, I don't think the driver's behaviour was bizarre.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Is that actually illegal, though? Driving whilst drunk/over the limit is, but what about drinking alcohol whilst remaining within the legal limits?
    I think they'd still get you by not being in full control of the vehicle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've no idea! You'd assume it was but I'm not so sure.
    Forum Member
    Yes it is illegal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think they'd still get you by not being in full control of the vehicle

But the point raised was regarding a car waiting at traffic lights...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Yes it is illegal.

Why? If you're stopped at traffic lights, then swigging wine is surely no different to swigging water?
    Forum Member
    Just putting myself in the role of a copper. I see you stopped in traffic swigging from what looks like a bottle of wine so I ask you to pull over for a breathaliser.
    You pass the test. I'm not happy cos I can see you've been drinking alcohol. I will try to find any excuse to give you a ticket.
    Forum Member
    Why? If you're stopped at traffic lights, then swigging wine is surely no different to swigging water?
    Exactly, the police can stop you for dinking coke, or water or gin, doesn't matter what is, it can be defined as an offence when driving.
    Forum Member
    But you may or do have the intent to drive whist consuming alcohol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, the police can stop you for dinking coke, or water or gin, doesn't matter what is, it can be defined as an offence when driving.

I'm not a expert and I don't particularly care, but I am curious to know because, well, I'm pretty sure that drinking whilst stationary at things like traffic lights or in traffic jams isn't illegal.
    Forum Member
    You are still driving the vehicle if it's waiting at the traffic lights.
    Forum Member
    I'm not a expert and I don't particularly care, but I am curious to know because, well, I'm pretty sure that drinking whilst stationary at things like traffic lights or in traffic jams isn't illegal.
    You are still deemed to be the person 'in control ' of a vehicle even if you are waiting at traffic lights.

Road laws aren't suspended for the duration of the every set of lights you have to stop at.
    Forum Member
    Although it's a fine point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are still deemed to be the person 'in control ' of a vehicle even if you are waiting at traffic lights.

Road laws aren't suspended for the duration of the every set of lights you have to stop at.

But what road law states that drinking and whilst we're at it, eating is completely banned whilst behind the wheel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not illegal to eat or drink while driving but the police can stop you for driving without due care and attention if they see fit, apparently. Same goes for lighting a cigarette while driving.