Provisional licence: Declare disability or change address first?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
Forum Member
✭✭
Help appreciated.

I applied for my provisional driving licence in 2011. I have cerebral palsy but when we looked at the list of health conditions that needed declaring, neither me or the OH could find it listed so I just applied.

Fast forward 2 years, the address on it is 2 houses ago, OH is now a driving instructor and wants to teach me to drive.

Problem is, cerebral palsy is now on the DVLA list of declarable conditions. So which of the two do I do first?

Also, I know from other disabled friends that it usually requires a motoring assessment to see if any adaptations need to be made. Is this likely to trigger a review of my DLA? I've had letters saying it's not due til 2015 which is a relief because I really rely on the money but I also know that if it was reviewed, I'd lose out.

Any ideas?

Comments

• killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I think get the address right first :)
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a look at the DVLA site - it seems you can change the address online.

Once you've done that, I'd fill in the medical condition form and send it off straightaway. That way you have advised them of all the new information you're obliged to.

While I don't know for sure, I can't imagine that notifying the DVLA would affect your DLA - for one thing, that would mean that two government departments would need to communicate!
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it’s compulsory to have a motoring assessment as I had a stroke 6 years ago that left me disabled and when I contacted DVLA they just wanted to have permission to contact my doctor to see if I was fit to drive.

In your case it maybe different because you don’t have a fulI licence but I already had a licence before the stroke and after communication with myself and my doctor they just changed my licence from a full one to one that states on it that I can only drive automatic cars with adaptation to controls.

I was told about the motoring assessment by DVLA who advised I should look into but when I went to a assessment centre they wanted something like £70 (from memory) for the assessment that would be deferred if I was deferred by DVLA but as I was only advised I asked to see some adaptation for myself to gauge how they worked then told them straight what they could do with their £70 assessment.

I was talking to my consultant doctor in the rehabilitation hospital about driving with a disability and he more or less told me that as long as your mental reaction are not impaired then with the right adaptation to the car there would be no problems with driving.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    Just had a look at the DVLA site - it seems you can change the address online.

Once you've done that, I'd fill in the medical condition form and send it off straightaway. That way you have advised them of all the new information you're obliged to.

While I don't know for sure, I can't imagine that notifying the DVLA would affect your DLA - for one thing, that would mean that two government departments would need to communicate!

More likely the other way round I would have thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I'm paraplegic and wasn't asked to take any kind of assessment by the DVLA when I applied for my provisional (I never drove before disability). This was about 2 years ago.
    I need hand controls.