Options

Tailgating annoys me!

Comments

• Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall driving home from work on the A34 dual carriageway, overtaking a queue of slow moving lorries, and some complete idiot in a BMW drove right up my arse and began flashing his lights as I had the temerity to drive at 70mph instead of the 80+ that he'd prefer.

In what I can only assume was a malfunctioning accelerator, as I reached the final lorry in the queue, my speed began to decrease until it matched the lorry's, effectively resulting in a rolling roadblock.
    It quickly became a battle of wills - would I give in and let Mr Impatient get past or would his ever-increasing blood pressure cause his already reddenning head to explode?

Naturally I pulled over after a short while as rational thought returned to me and he sped past, only after swerving in front and brake-checking me to give me a taste of my own medicine.

Was it childish of me? Yes
    Was it dangerous? Possibly
    Was I left with the satisfaction that an impatient bully driver didn't get his own way on the road for once? Definitely!
    I know at the time you felt justified. All I can say though is I hope this was dual carriageway and so there wasn't any oncoming traffic. A closing speed in excess of 100mph is instant death and it's carnage for the following vehicles too.
  • Options
    MinkinitMinkinit Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I know at the time you felt justified. All I can say though is I hope this was dual carriageway and so there wasn't any oncoming traffic. A closing speed in excess of 100mph is instant death and it's carnage for the following vehicles too.

For me, one of the reasons why I refuse to ever let any silly behaviour like this effect me on the road, is because I have been there and this whole " getting one over" a person who you are never going to see again in your life vs allowing the red mist to make you make the worst decision of your life ever is completely stupid.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the end.You've just got to drive around other peoples mistakes and faults.
    I'm not a perfect driver myself.But I do try to be.Always learning.
    It's best to take the attitude of 'go and have an accident with someone else,i want to keep my NCB'.Allow for other peoples mistakes and drive on untouched by the madness.:cool:
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Tailgating is dangerous full stop. Don't blame your occupation for this.
    I am not 'blaming' my occupation for anything simply explaining why sometimes I can be an impatient driver.

I am well aware tailgating can be dangerous, at no point did I state I do this. You simply made that assumption, your assumption was incorrect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    WinterLily wrote: »
    I am not 'blaming' my occupation for anything simply explaining why sometimes I can be an impatient driver.

I am well aware tailgating can be dangerous, at no point did I state I do this. You simply made that assumption, your assumption was incorrect.

I appreciate your honesty and your occupation and how stressful it must be. I do think your comments are familiar to what a van/delivery drivers explanation for tailgating would be.

And god forbid but i would hate to read in the newspaper that a district nurse is up in court for the death of somebody due to tailgating.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    My colleague fights back at tailgaters by slowing down. On one narrow rural road he came to a stop to 'punish' the tailgater but the bloke in the car behind jumped out and was ready to give my colleague a thumping. Another motorist diffused the situation thankfully.

I asked him why he did not just pull over and let the bloke behind pass. No reason given, just indignant bluster.

The 'slower downers' are asking for trouble and on the road that's never a good thing.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Minkinit wrote: »
    For me, the most important thing, is that I arrive at my destination safely without crashing. If on a rare occasion, I have some car stuck on my bumper, I will pull over and let them past, continue and forget about it.

If I have someone in front who is slow, I leave a two second gap and overtake at the earliest opportunity.

Then I get home / work and completely forget about the drive.

Ah, a post from a good driver. Especially the BIB, that's the art :)
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1st line of my post stated it was a dual carriageway. I'd never overtake into incoming traffic in a manner like that.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    My colleague fights back at tailgaters by slowing down. On one narrow rural road he came to a stop to 'punish' the tailgater but the bloke in the car behind jumped out and was ready to give my colleague a thumping. Another motorist diffused the situation thankfully.

I asked him why he did not just pull over and let the bloke behind pass. No reason given, just indignant bluster.

The 'slower downers' are asking for trouble and on the road that's never a good thing.

Yeh, most times nothing will happen but you only have to encounter one nutter that'll take it too far!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

My sentiments exactly.

It might sound a bit callous, and I know some people on the roads are utter nobbers, but unless you're Superman, there's just no point in deliberately antagonising complete strangers who have, if nothing else, a couple of tonnes of lethal weapon at their disposal.

I mean, you're being followed by somebody who is, apparently, rather frustrated and short-tempered (judging by the way they seem to be driving), so in what universe is it actually a good idea to further anger such a person?

Think I've said before but, a few years ago I got a message saying that the missus had suffered a burst appendix and might not survive so I should get home ASAP.
    During my journey home I certainly wasn't driving like a nutter (being smart enough to realise that getting stopped by a cop wouldn't help me get home) but I certainly wasn't dawdling either.
    I got to a queue of cars, nose to tail, on the A75, overtook a few of them straight away, pulled in, overtook a couple more when I got the opportunity and then ended up behind a metallic blue hatchback.
    No big deal, there was a section of dual-carriageway ahead.
    As the d/c started I changed down into 3rd, indicated and... the blue hatchback moved across to straddle the dotted white line... and then slowed down to about 15mph.
    Oh how I laughed.
    He actually managed to keep a whole queue of cars behind him all the way along the d/c until it ended.
    Shortly afterwards there was another clear section of road so I indicated again, went to pull out... and he moved across into the middle of the road and slowed down again.
    At which point I actually passed him on his left side, using the hard-shoulder.
    Certainly not my proudest driving moment but, as I said, I simply didn't have the time for stupid games like laughing-boy in his hatchback.

And then, of course, once I passed him, he set off after me and spent the next couple of miles attached to my rear bumper, until we caught back up with other traffic, at which point I continued to overtake other cars and he just hitched onto the car at the back of the queue.

Thing is, if you got a driver like that in a room, face to face, and asked them if they'd deliberately try to hinder somebody trying to get to a sick partner, or hinder a midwife trying to get to a patient, I'm sure they'd say they wouldn't.
    So why screw around like that when you're actually in the car? :confused:
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it too, it's a very aggressive act. Even worse when you let them by and they then slow down when infront of you as an act of revenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If he sees the bloke behind get out the car and isn't confident in a confrontational situation, then he should just floor it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If he sees the bloke behind get out the car and isn't confident in a confrontational situation, then he should just floor it.

Even if you are "confident", how'd you know the person you've just pissed-off isn't the next Raul Moat or Michael Ryan?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Even if you are "confident", how'd you know the person you've just pissed-off isn't the next Raul Moat or Michael Ryan?

Very true, always best to avoid conflict unless totally necessary.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate tailgaters. I just ignore them and keep going along at the speed limit. They're welcome to pass me if they wish to do so.

I will however own up to having a particularly enjoyable experience once when I had a white van man tailgating me (I think he was actually trying to see if his van could fit into the boot of my car). I was doing about 3 or so mph over the speed limit and braked quickly - he got angry and overtook me, giving me the finger as he did so. Well the reason I braked is because I saw the police speed camera van. The white van man didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eira wrote: »
    I will however own up to having a particularly enjoyable experience once when I had a white van man tailgating me (I think he was actually trying to see if his van could fit into the boot of my car). I was doing about 3 or so mph over the speed limit and braked quickly - he got angry and overtook me, giving me the finger as he did so. Well the reason I braked is because I saw the police speed camera van. The white van man didn't.

Must admit, that's something I can relate to.

I once had a Saab follow me down the A90 from Aberdeen to Dundee.
    I honestly don't know if he wanted to overtake me or if he just wanted to follow me cos every time I pulled out to overtake he'd be right up my chuff but then he just sat in the left lane behind me as well.
    I think it's just something in the water up there TBH.

Anyway, there's one section where the limit drops from 70mph to 40mph.
    I overtook another car, pulled in, slowed down in readiness for the new limit. He didn't. Flash, flash. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How are they "asking for trouble" slowing down is in the HIGHWAY CODE. Why should i risk my life speeding up just because impatient twonks are up my arse? If i was a driver damn right i'd slow down no way am i risking MY life or others because the moron behind me is tailgaiting. Sorry but i'm not risking my life to speed up because people don't know the word "PATIENCE"
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are they "asking for trouble" slowing down is in the HIGHWAY CODE. Why should i risk my life speeding up just because impatient twonks are up my arse? If i was a driver damn right i'd slow down no way am i risking MY life or others because the moron behind me is tailgaiting. Sorry but i'm not risking my life to speed up because people don't know the word "PATIENCE"
    It isn't an 'either or' choice. There's a third option - maintaining a steady speed ;)
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You shouldn't have to speed up, but you shouldn't be slowing down to teach the tailgater a lesson either. What's wrong with just carrying on at your normal speed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    This is what i think i need, one of these! Priceless.

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/funny+tailgating+bumperstickers

;-)
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting reading all the people's negative stories of tailgaters but no one admitting they are slow drivers. I am not condoning this behaviour but strange the few times I have been stuck behind someone they are driving too slow which is just as much a hazard as driving too fast.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Interesting reading all the people's negative stories of tailgaters but no one admitting they are slow drivers. I am not condoning this behaviour but strange the few times I have been stuck behind someone they are driving too slow which is just as much a hazard as driving too fast.
    Too slow for what? For whom? It's only a hazard if the ass-wipe behind is impatient or lacking the ability to overtake safely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't have to speed up, but you shouldn't be slowing down to teach the tailgater a lesson either. What's wrong with just carrying on at your normal speed?

We always go the damn speed limit my whole point is WHY SHOULD I SPEED UP because the knob behind me is impatient, im not gonna risk my life to go over the limit because they are up my arse. Where did i say we drive slow to "teach them a lesson". first of all they shouldnt be tailgaiting NO EXCUSE. Maybe the person is going slow because they dont want to cause an accident, not every damn driver slows just to piss you off

>:(
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of talk about knobs driving behind but I've seen just as many out in front. Both are inconsiderate **** and both can cause accidents.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tailgaters annoy me. But my general view is "don't piss of people who drive like morons." If someone is a shitty driver, then it is probably best to not put them in a situation where they can further prove their dire driving skills, possibly at your expense.

It may well be safer to reduce speed if someone is persistently tailgating you. You are reducing the necessary stopping distance by reducing speed and being that the bellend behind you is intent on keeping that stopping distance as miniscule as possible, then your best bet is to bring your speed to one where that distance is safer.

But, of course, that should only be the case if you can't convince them to safely pass you. Anyone who brakes just to piss off the tailgater is asking for trouble. Not only are you braking in front of someone you know is not providing a safe stopping distance, but you are antagonising someone who doesn't know how to drive safely.

I remember, years back, driving up the M20 in the outside lane. I'd just moved across to overtake a lorry. Then, out of bloody nowhere, this idiot comes belting up behind me doing what must have been 120Mph or more. He stopped right on my bumper, probably only a metre or so away, as I couldn't even see his number plate. As soon as I'd passed the lorry and had a safe enough gap to move across in front of it, I intended to move over and let the madman pass. But before I had a chance, he nipped round and undertook me. But instead of just moving off, he DROVE RIGHT AT THE FRONT OF MY CAR!! Yep, instead of just undertaking and moving back in front of me, he tried to ram the front of my car as he moved back across. Whilst I was doing 70mph. On the outside of a motorway. With a lorry right behind us.

The loon would undoubtedly have flipped his own car into the path of the lorry and died, if not for me braking hard to avoid the collision. I expect I would have been dead, too. But the point is, he nearly killed himself because he was pissed off I dared to get in the way of his car. If I could have got out his way faster, I would have.

But imagine if I'd have decided to brake in order to piss him off. Blocked him in behind me with the lorry to his left and nowhere for him to go. Based on his eventual action, I could well imagine he'd have just rammed me up the rear and there'd have been nothing I could have done about it. I couldn't brake or speed up or anything. Just hope like hell he didn't push me under the lorry next to us.

SO yeah, don't piss off idiot drivers. You don't know how idiotic they may decide to be.