Feelings from a female friend?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just wanted to run this by you all and see what you thought and what advice you would offer...

I am female, and I spent a weekend away with a few friends, one of these friends (who is also female) is one of my closest, however due to living far away we don't see eachother that much but do talk very regularly. During the weekend away, we all ended up getting very drunk, and there was about 5 of us sharing a room. We all ended up lay on the bed after a night out and I was lay next to my friend, I was drunk myself but remember exactly what happened, and my friend kept stroking my arms and legs and lying partially on me, this carried on when we eventually went to bed.

She didn't seem to remember a thing of the night before when we woke up so I didn't want to mention it, but then we had another night out, and again the same thing happened again, there were other people in the same room as us but it was only me that she was showing any signs of affection to.

Do you guys think this was just acts of drunkeness or do you think there could be more to it than that? We are very close friends and if it did turn out that she had more than just friendship feelings for me I'd want to handle it in the right way so I can still keep her as a friend.

Oh and the obvious question, to my knowledge she's heterosexual, but still, what do you all think?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened twice and both times you were drunk, but not so drunk that you did not remember it.

It's easy enough to escape a pawing in these circumstances - you can get up and head for the loo and then stagger to a different sleeping place if necessary. If a friend is so drunk they don't know what they are doing it's possible to roll them a bit to make some space or fix it for someone to be between you.

But you allowed it to continue, so I would gently suggest you think about your own feelings towards your friend and get them straight in your head before considering hers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's easy to get carried away in a bit of excitement- but given that both times you were drunk I'd see how you feel when sober, it makes all the difference IMO :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OldBagHere wrote: »
    This has happened twice and both times you were drunk, but not so drunk that you did not remember it.

It's easy enough to escape a pawing in these circumstances - you can get up and head for the loo and then stagger to a different sleeping place if necessary. If a friend is so drunk they don't know what they are doing it's possible to roll them a bit to make some space or fix it for someone to be between you.

But you allowed it to continue, so I would gently suggest you think about your own feelings towards your friend and get them straight in your head before considering hers.

Thank you for your reply, and I do understand how the fact that I didn't move her or go and sleep elsewhere may seem a bit suspect, but I didn't know if it was just harmless drunkeness and if me moving would've seemed like I was taking things the wrong way, or if it was more than that, if I suspected she had any kind of feelings other than friendship before all this happened I would've got up and moved straight away. I know how I feel about my friend and she is like a sister to me, hence why I was so taken aback to how she was acting, but thankyou for your honest reply :)
    It's easy to get carried away in a bit of excitement- but given that both times you were drunk I'd see how you feel when sober, it makes all the difference IMO :)

When we're sober we're still best friends, we find eachother very funny, get on really well with eachother and always seem to have eachother's best interest at heart, nothing like what happened on those nights has happened whilst sober. Thank you for your reply :)
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing i can think of is make sure you don't let yourself get into that sort of position when you are with her!, if you want to go out and drink to the extent that she doesn't know what she is doing then make sure you are both going to your seperate homes at the end of the evening and you wont have this worry then...... Sorry if i sound harsh but that is what i would do!, if you don't want to be in those sort of positions and you know that she has twice behaved like that, then it is time to start making avoidance tactics,,,,,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    The best thing i can think of is make sure you don't let yourself get into that sort of position when you are with her!, if you want to go out and drink to the extent that she doesn't know what she is doing then make sure you are both going to your seperate homes at the end of the evening and you wont have this worry then...... Sorry if i sound harsh but that is what i would do!, if you don't want to be in those sort of positions and you know that she has twice behaved like that, then it is time to start making avoidance tactics,,,,,

Yeah you're right, knowing what kind of stuff happens when we've had too much to drink, I'll make sure that we go to seperate homes/beds after drinking. Thanks for your advice.
  • ItalianbeautyItalianbeauty Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are that close, then I would casually start a conversation about sexuality and see what she has to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are that close, then I would casually start a conversation about sexuality and see what she has to say.

That's a good idea, I can discuss this kind of thing with her but I've never really felt a need to bring it up till now. Do you think then that it is more feelings than a drunken thing?
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you like to take it further?
    Curious?

Or just want to save the friendship if she tries?

I think the previous suggestion of a sexuality talk is a good start.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Umm are you and your friend not very affectionate normally? Me and my friends stroke eachother and stuff when we are 100% sober lol
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umm are you and your friend not very affectionate normally? Me and my friends stroke eachother and stuff when we are 100% sober lol

:eek:

Awesome!

:D
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She may just be being affectionate. We need to know more from her "sober life" before we can judged what the drunken actions meant.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe she's sexually curious and being a bit drunk makes her feel a bit frisky.
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is very touchy feely like this. Completely sober, if she's staying over she'll climb into bed with me to spoon and usually ends up falling asleep with one leg over my thigh...I think she's a contortionist.

There's nothing even vaguely sexual in it though - on either side. We've been friends for years.
  • ItalianbeautyItalianbeauty Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good idea, I can discuss this kind of thing with her but I've never really felt a need to bring it up till now. Do you think then that it is more feelings than a drunken thing?

It's hard to say without knowing her, hopefully she'll be honest when you talk to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you like to take it further?
    Curious?

Or just want to save the friendship if she tries?

I think the previous suggestion of a sexuality talk is a good start.

No, I wouldn't take it further. She's like a sister more than anything and I would even go as far to say that I do love her but it's just not that kind of love, more of a caring about her love.

Lol, yes to the point of hugging etc but I can't say that we make a habit of stroking eachother lol.
    She may just be being affectionate. We need to know more from her "sober life" before we can judged what the drunken actions meant.

Sober life; I can literally talk to her about anything, we always look out for eachother even though we don't live particularly near eachother. She's 3 years older than me so she always tends to look after me. We're affectionate as friends to the point of hugging and linking arms when we're out together but that's where it stops. But we get on very very well and we seem to just reflect off eachother, we've similar senses of humour and we just seem to be on eachothers wavelength if you know what I mean.
    Tinpot wrote: »
    A friend of mine is very touchy feely like this. Completely sober, if she's staying over she'll climb into bed with me to spoon and usually ends up falling asleep with one leg over my thigh...I think she's a contortionist.

There's nothing even vaguely sexual in it though - on either side. We've been friends for years.

Thanks for replying, you see I can see why like in bed people do end up getting a bit close to eachother etc especially when you're close to that person but it was the arm and leg stroking that's made me think abit more into it, because in any other circumstance I would consider that as being sexual, but I do understand that what may be a sexual advance in one person's mind may just be a sign of affection in another's.
  • scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can i join in?
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sober life; I can literally talk to her about anything, we always look out for eachother even though we don't live particularly near eachother. She's 3 years older than me so she always tends to look after me. We're affectionate as friends to the point of hugging and linking arms when we're out together but that's where it stops. But we get on very very well and we seem to just reflect off eachother, we've similar senses of humour and we just seem to be on eachothers wavelength if you know what I mean.

It sounds as if she was just being affectionate, what about her dating life? I think if she was gay, she'd probably tell you if you're that close.

Edit: If she's is gay, get her to PM me. :p
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tinpot wrote: »

A guy I work with is very touchy feely - even in the office.

He slaps everyone's backs, does lots of playful punches, rubs people on the arm etc.

That's just how he is.

He's not gay.

He's always got a new woman.

He's just a really nice guy who is touchy feely.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Maybe she's straight and suspects you may only be close to her because you are gay. This could just be just her way of getting you to out yourself! Unlikely but possible!

I suspect she's just an incredibly affectionate drunk and you're the only friend she trusts not to freak out about it when she gets a bit cuddly. Don't let her down. I'm sure you won't.

I think the sexuality chat sounds ideal given your closeness.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she is just touchy feely. Some people do just stroke things or pat others as they drift of to sleep. It doesn't sound like this was definately sexual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hiya, any more to report?
    And happy birthday :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds as if she was just being affectionate, what about her dating life? I think if she was gay, she'd probably tell you if you're that close.

Edit: If she's is gay, get her to PM me. :p

Well we're both single pringles and have been for a while, but we're both pretty quick to notify eachother when there's a good looking guy on the approach.

Hahahaa, will do ;)
    A guy I work with is very touchy feely - even in the office.

He slaps everyone's backs, does lots of playful punches, rubs people on the arm etc.

That's just how he is.

He's not gay.

He's always got a new woman.

He's just a really nice guy who is touchy feely.

Yeah that makes perfect sense, that probably is the case with my friend aswell I just wanted outside opinions.
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Maybe she's straight and suspects you may only be close to her because you are gay. This could just be just her way of getting you to out yourself! Unlikely but possible!

I suspect she's just an incredibly affectionate drunk and you're the only friend she trusts not to freak out about it when she gets a bit cuddly. Don't let her down. I'm sure you won't.

I think the sexuality chat sounds ideal given your closeness.

Well that first option is very very very unlikely lol because I'm straight myself and she does know this but I suppose if there was any doubt in her mind that could be what she was thinking lol.

Yeah I do think after reading everyone's responses it probably is just that she's very affectionate when drunk, but it was helpful to see other people's viewpoints :)

Hiya, any more to report?
    And happy birthday :)

Hi, no there isn't really. I have spoken to my friend since but it was really just discussing what a good weekend etc it was, I didn't bring up what went on at the night time so I've just left it for now. And thank you! :D I'm guessing you know that because it appears at the bottom of the home screen and not because your psychic lol