My cat has kidney disease and is not eating. Need food ideas

Comments

• Options
    jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow70 wrote: »
    That's so sad Jack.

Thanks for asking about Shadow. I was really worried about him as he didn't eat anything for a few days, but today he has eaten about half a pouch of cat food and a few mouthfuls of the kitten's dried biscuits.

I have to get a urine sample next so the vet can see how much protein is leaking and then they will start him on Fortekor, which the vet says should improve his appetite.

The fact he is back eating pretty well, now must be good news and a cause for optimism? I would like to hope his appetite would improve without the use of drugs
  • Options
    Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today he has eaten loads, all of a sudden his appetite has returned. I am so happy, and hoping this will continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting for him to produce his urine sample. Poor thing is shut in the bedroom with a litter tray with non absorbent litter (and food and water of course). I wish he would hurry up and do his wee. I bet he holds on all day.
  • Options
    jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today he has eaten loads, all of a sudden his appetite has returned. I am so happy, and hoping this will continue.

I am so pleased for you- might just have been a tummy upset and eaten something he shouldnt outside? my one use to try and catch wasps for some reason only known to himself.:D
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Waiting for him to produce his urine sample. Poor thing is shut in the bedroom with a litter tray with non absorbent litter (and food and water of course). I wish he would hurry up and do his wee. I bet he holds on all day.

My cousin's cat had to be admitted overnight for a urine sample - she just wouldn't use the tray. Cats are stubborn creatures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    My cousin's cat had to be admitted overnight for a urine sample - she just wouldn't use the tray. Cats are stubborn creatures.
    I'm still waiting for Shadow to do his. He is in an almighty sulk because he has been shut in the bedroom (have to keep him separate or one of the other cats might use his special litter tray).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 hours later, I have a wee. The things I get excited about eh :rolleyes:
  • Options
    thefoxmistressthefoxmistress Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 hours later, I have a wee. The things I get excited about eh :rolleyes:

Whoo! Congratulations - I bet you're both "relieved" :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just had an upsetting phone call from my mum. Her cat has apparently been very poorly recently and not eating. I wasn't told because she didn't want to upset me, having recently lost my Tabitha. She made a vet appointment on Monday but Snowy had disappeared - my parents thought she had gone away to die. She turned up yesterday and seemed a bit brighter but still hadn't eaten by today so she was taken to the vet.

The vet says she has advanced kidney failure and it would be kinder to put her to sleep. :cry: My father wants to 'give her a chance' so she's currently having intravenous hydration - but it's looking ominous. It seems like she may also have cat flu.

It feels like all the cats around me are dying. I've been missing Tabitha so much recently and now this too. I was in Ireland in June and Snowy seemed fine then, she's a lovely, gentle semi persian cat who despite her pretty appearance has always been a ruthless hunter. We're unsure of her exact age because she turned up one day on my parents' farm about 10 years ago.

My brother lost his 2 rabbits in February (killed by a cat), my Tabitha died in April, my cousin's cat has very little time left. I don't know why animals' deaths affect me so much as I deal with death and dying every day in my job. :cry:

I wish cats would somehow let us know they are ill when their disease is still at an early stage. They disguise their symptoms until it is often too late to help them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about Snowy.
  • Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to hear about Snowy. Hope the hydration works for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Snowy is home! She suddenly started eating at the vet's and is much better. She was given a bath because she hadn't been grooming herself (is long haired semi persian) but came home yesterday and rolled about in the soil outside, as cats do. :)
    The vet has told my parents he expects her to last for a good few months now. She's loving the renal food he's given her but my mum is shocked at the price.

I'm pleased. My 10 year old niece is spending the whole summer in Ireland with my parents and she was very upset when my Tabitha was put to sleep so I wouldn't want her to face that again so soon.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Snowy is home! She suddenly started eating at the vet's and is much better. She was given a bath because she hadn't been grooming herself (is long haired semi persian) but came home yesterday and rolled about in the soil outside, as cats do. :)
    The vet has told my parents he expects her to last for a good few months now. She's loving the renal food he's given her but my mum is shocked at the price.

I'm pleased. My 10 year old niece is spending the whole summer in Ireland with my parents and she was very upset when my Tabitha was put to sleep so I wouldn't want her to face that again so soon.

Glad to hear the good news about Snowy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really pleased to hear the good news about Snowy.

Shadow has also perked up and is a feline eating machine at the moment, and has more energy and once even joined in with the young cats when they were play fighting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really pleased to hear the good news about Snowy.

Shadow has also perked up and is a feline eating machine at the moment, and has more energy and once even joined in with the young cats when they were play fighting.

Great news for Snowy and Shadow, and long may it continue!
  • Options
    GabbitasGabbitas Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I came across this thread from a search as my cat's just been diagnosed with kidney problems. She hasn't eaten properly for weeks (not unusual for her in warm weather, but it's not always been particularly warm recently) and has lost a fifth of her weight in less than a year :(. The vet initially thought it was a thyroid problem, but the blood test indicates that she's borderline thyroid but the overriding problem is kidneys.

The vet's keeping her in for a few days to monitor her and put her on a drip. She'll have to have a special diet and be on tablets. I hope that's enough to regulate her but I'm encouraged by the success stories here :).

To all whose cats are poorly, I hope they recover soon.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told that thyroid problems can mask kidney problems, and when Rufus was borderline in the normal test they did a Free T4 which confirmed him as having hyperthyroid. Apparently what is 'normal' goes down as they get older.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost a year to the day I created this thread for the first of my cats suffering from kidney disease our second cat lost his fight.

Earlier today, at just gone 4pm Pugsey fell asleep and is now at rest with his younger brother. For two Persian cats I can not believe how long they were with us. Born in the Spring of 1996, today that chapter of my life came to an end and while I am tremendously upset I look back and smile at all the good times they brought me and my family.

Rest in peace Pugsey, it was a honour to have you and your brother in our lives.
  • Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris123 wrote: »
    Almost a year to the day I created this thread for the first of my cats suffering from kidney disease our second cat lost his fight.

Earlier today, at just gone 4pm Pugsey fell asleep and is now at rest with his younger brother. For two Persian cats I can not believe how long they were with us. Born in the Spring of 1996, today that chapter of my life came to an end and while I am tremendously upset I look back and smile at all the good times they brought me and my family.

Rest in peace Pugsey, it was a honour to have you and your brother in our lives.

Sorry to hear about Pugsey, do treasure the memories of him and his brother, may they sleep peacefully togetther again. Gone but never forgotten.
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your losses, Chris.

I think i'm about to lose my 4th cat in 3 years and I know the pain involved.

Take Care.
  • Options
    FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    just realised the tanyas site has already been mentioned (felinecrf . org ) it's a really good site, helped me a lot for ideas and support. check out the forum on there people very supportive an helpful with any queries . hope ur kitties stay well x
  • Options
    mictheminimicthemini Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been catching up as it's now 8 weeks since my old girl, Eshe, was put to sleep. She was 21 (ish, she was a stray and we had her for 19.5 years).
    She had crf for 3 years, thyroid for a bit longer too.
    She did start to eat the renal food but really the only thing she'd eat was the Royal Canin dry stuff. She was on Fortekor and she took them really well. Towards the end she also had booster injections.
    Our vets advice was always to feed her whatever she would eat, barring high protein foods (no cream, milk, etc), so Hi-life and Gourmet cans (the little ones, her favourites) it was. And to be honest, I think this is what kept her going, stability and her usual diet.
    As for water, I read that cats don't like little bowl. They like big, shallow, open bowls and with old water as the chlorine puts them off. So maybe put some water in a jug and leave it overnight in the open - that way the chlorine dissapates, and use a flat low oven dish, like a pie dish, or a base for a flower pot - if that makes sense. And put one outside, as I'm sure you all have seen your cat drink the muckiest, yuckiest, outside water (Eshe used to drink from the bird bath - yuck!).
    And to all those who have recently lost cats, Chris, you've lost two, I'm really sorry, but at least our cats are out of pain now.
    Mic - still heartbroken about losing her cat :cry:
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,630
    Forum Member
    My cats are Persian brothers - same Dad. There is three weeks between them and they are 16, which I am told is very good for Persian cats.

Got them home on Friday and the first thing they did was go to their food bowls!

They do seems much better for the moment - vets phoned twice yesterday to see how they were - have to go back for a check up on Thursday to see how they have stabilised.

Thanks for all your advise and support folks.

Have been reading this thread with interest, I remember when my cat who's 20 years old this month, came back from having been on a drip, she was like a young kitten and eating like a navvy! I give my cats a small teaspoon of codliver oil once a day, on their food. They love the taste of it and they both have lovely thick soft fur. I wondered if the addition of cod liver oil, or the contents of a codliver oil capsule, might perk up your pussy cats appetite?
    I also heartily agree with the TLC advice, I talk to my cats like they are precious babies. :o

Edit: AW - I should have read to the end of the thread before posting. So sorry to hear of your loss, my heart goes out to you, I am so dreading losing my Alfie. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

I'm really sorry to hear about your cats. I'm glad you have such lovely memories of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    To all the other posters on this thread mentioning cats with kidney problems, I can recommend a supplement that may help, especially if their condition is not too severe.

My cat has had kidney problems for coming up to a year now, and for a number of months now she has been taking Kidney Support made by Native Remedies. It seems to be helping her quite a lot.