123457»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Very adorable :)

My daughter wanted a black cat so she could call it Salem, but I wouldn't change my ginger Simba for anything in the world.

Aww :)

I wouldn't change my handsome man for anything either :)...it took us ages to come up with a name though, we had him for nearly 2 weeks before we settled on a name :p we went through so many including Kitler! :o:eek: OH's idea lol
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His testicles will be removed not his penis lol thats why some people were confused :p

I know, I know, I realise that now!

Thank God my husband isn't on this forum cos he would just
    >:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: at me!

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I know, I realise that now!

Thank God my husband isn't on this forum cos he would just
    >:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: at me!

:D

lol :D oh well :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww :)

I wouldn't change my handsome man for anything either :)...it took us ages to come up with a name though, we had him for nearly 2 weeks before we settled on a name :p we went through so many including Kitler! :o:eek: OH's idea lol

Oh don't, we had Theodore, Cinammon, Nutmeg and the list was endless!:D

Simba suits him, he even walks regally!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh don't, we had Theodore, Cinammon, Nutmeg and the list was endless!:D

Simba suits him, he even walks regally!:eek:

:D lol soon you'll be bowing and curtsying at him when he enters the room :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D lol soon you'll be bowing and curtsying at him when he enters the room :p

I think we do already!:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we do already!:o

haha :D a little prince you have there lol
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just ask how you "cat proof" a back garden when cats can easily jump walls and fences and climb trellis and trees etc :confused:

Like I said, plenty of information at the FAB's website:
    http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fencing/info.html

Plenty more if you Google for 'cat-proof fencing'.

And like I said, some back gardens are too hard and/or expensive to cat-proof effectively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    Like I said, plenty of information at the FAB's website:
    http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fencing/info.html

Plenty more if you Google for 'cat-proof fencing'.

And like I said, some back gardens are too hard and/or expensive to cat-proof effectively.

hmm, not for me. I would prefer my cat to feel he can go anywhere and not feel caged in, if I wanted him to feel like that I would just keep him indoors to be honest lol.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm, not for me. I would prefer my cat to feel he can go anywhere and not feel caged in, if I wanted him to feel like that I would just keep him indoors to be honest lol.

Please don't put human emotions on cats. OK, it's a bigger cage - but it's a lot, lot bigger and a lot lot more exciting. One of mine was somewhat plump, that has sorted itself out now he goes out in the garden.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    Please don't put human emotions on cats. OK, it's a bigger cage - but it's a lot, lot bigger and a lot lot more exciting. One of mine was somewhat plump, that has sorted itself out now he goes out in the garden.

Each to their own, but I'm sure your cat would of lost the weight without the barriers to. And any living animal can feel caged in, they don't have to be human to feel limited.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I've just seen this. Can I ask where you get this statistic from? Nearly everyone I know owns a cat (or three) and not one of them keeps their cat confined indoors. In recent years, my friends' and relatives' cats have died of natural causes, having always had freedom to explore outside - several had passed twenty :rolleyes: My own cat was nearly 16 when she died of cancer. She broke her leg 3 times in her early life but the first time this happened was indoors. She was miserable whenever she couldn't get outside, it was more important for me to keep her happy and fulfilled even though I used to worry a lot when she was outside (not so much in later years when she kept to my garden).

I'm aware there are greater risks outside (my childhood cat was killed by a train) and some cats do need to be kept indoors but you need to balance this with allowing cats freedom to pursue their natural instincts.

One vet actually told me that very few cats get killed by cars and I wouldn't have thought that many cats will get killed by foxes (if any :confused:). Disease transmission is less likely if you keep up to date with vaccinations. There are some nasty people around who hate cats but, again, the risk of anti freeze poisoning is small.

Most rescue organisations will only re-home a cat to people with gardens (with a few exceptions) and they have the cats' welfare and best interests as their primary concerns. I think it's wrong to scare monger people into keeping cats indoors.

Hi, Marella! I've heard this from vets and rescue centres and websites. Before I got my cats, I did a lot of research. One website of many is lapcat.co.uk, but I'm sure if you put in 'life-expectancy of cat' into a search engine, you'd find plenty.

ICertainly outdoor cats can be lucky enough to live as long as indoors ones, but I have to say, not a month goes by in my area without a new 'missing cat' poster up. Two of my friends have lost their cats to foxes - they found the bodies, one in their own garden, and there was no doubt - and I couldn't count how many from RTAs.

Loads of rescues will rehome cats in indoor homes. When I was looking for mine, I met a very experienced rescue lady who was very stern about this; she said she would come round and make sure I'd sealed up the former owner's cat-flap in my front door before she agreed to let me have a rescue. When I told her about my friend who'd lost his to a fox and that he still let his new cat out unsupervised, she said, "Vell, he will lose that one as vell!" very crossly (she was German)!

Anyway, each to their own. Some people find an indoor life cruel and I can totally understand that. :)
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    zela wrote: »
    Hi, Marella! I've heard this from vets and rescue centres and websites. Before I got my cats, I did a lot of research. One website of many is lapcat.co.uk, but I'm sure if you put in 'life-expectancy of cat' into a search engine, you'd find plenty.

ICertainly outdoor cats can be lucky enough to live as long as indoors ones, but I have to say, not a month goes by in my area without a new 'missing cat' poster up. Two of my friends have lost their cats to foxes - they found the bodies, one in their own garden, and there was no doubt - and I couldn't count how many from RTAs.

Loads of rescues will rehome cats in indoor homes. When I was looking for mine, I met a very experienced rescue lady who was very stern about this; she said she would come round and make sure I'd sealed up the former owner's cat-flap in my front door before she agreed to let me have a rescue. When I told her about my friend who'd lost his to a fox and that he still let his new cat out unsupervised, she said, "Vell, he will lose that one as vell!" very crossly (she was German)!

Anyway, each to their own. Some people find an indoor life cruel and I can totally understand that. :)
    I think the claim that cats that are allowed out have, on average, one third the life expectancy of an indoor only cat is skewed by the inclusion of the feral cat community who also succumb to transmittable diseases as well as RTAs etc.

I agree that cats are at risk if they are let out near busy roads, particularly at night when the lights may dazzle and disorientate them so I totally accept that it is probably safer to keep cats indoors in those circumstances (or not have cats at all).

I was brought up in an Irish farm where there was a lot of wildlife including a great many foxes and I never heard of a fox killing a cat :confused: Some cats were caught in fox traps laid by horrible farmers, including one of our own farm cats :(
    Most adult healthy cats are well able to defend themselves against a fox and it is unlikely a fox would attack them anyway - foxes aren't stupid and could sustain serious injury from a cat. However, I accept that there must be some attacks if you yourself have encountered it - I still think that risk is small.

I agree that rescue centres generally have a selection of cats suitable only for indoor re-homing but these are often quiet, shy, nervous cats who've had a difficult start in life for various reasons or they may be cats who carry a health risk to other cats. Most rescue centres actively encourage access to a garden for the majority of their cats.

I agree that each owner should make a rational and well judged decision based on what's best for the cat and each case is different. I just don't think we should be promoting an indoor only life as the 'best' option though it may well be the safest. We should also consider the cats' social and behavioural needs.

I don't think it is 'cruel' to keep a cat indoors only and accept it is the only option for some cat owners. As you say, each to their own. I think my Bernard would not be that unhappy at being kept as an indoor cat. He prefers it indoors and doesn't have a hunting or exploratory instinct. However, he has that choice and can go out when he wants. My cat flap allows my 3 cats to decide for themselves when they want to be in or out and, for me, that is my preferred option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I love the crossed legs :D:D:D
  • Options
    Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it. Kittens are so funny, they seem to fall asleep in the strangest of positions, some of them don't even look comfortable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I love the crossed legs :D:D:D

My husband's downstairs with him and he just sent me the photo, so cute and funny!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow70 wrote: »
    Love it. Kittens are so funny, they seem to fall asleep in the strangest of positions, some of them don't even look comfortable.

His favourite sleeping place at the moment is my husband's office chair, not the great big comfy beds he has, and it's always when my husband's about to sit down, he races him to it!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww!

How cute does your Simba look with his legs crossed!