Kitten found last night, what shall i do??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
Forum Member
Hi

Last night, at about 11pm i was sat in my bedroom and i ahd the window open, my garden backs onto a field.

I could hear this really high pitched squeaking and i was looking out the window but could not see anything. it was playing on my mind so i decided to go outside to have a look, next to the fence by a plant pot i found a kitten, she (i think) is so so tiny, and really skinny. It was so cold last night so i brought her in and put a hot water bottle in my box with blankets over it. i sat with her untill about 2 this morning then fell asleep. I woke up at 6 and she seems perky, i gave her a little bit of mushed cat food and she ate all of it.

I have brought her into work today (my boss is on holiday!) shes under my desk in a box, i rang the vet who agreed to have a look at her for me. She must only be about 6 - 7 weeks old.

Do you think it would be ok for me to keep her?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    If there is no sign of mum or any other possible owner, and you're willing to keep and look after her, I can't think of a better option!

Sounds like kittie may have landed on her feet with you. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    She is gorgeous, white with a black end on her tail, black nose and her 2 back feet are black, big blue eyes!. Very perky now, seems to have warmed up a bit i think, she stole my heart last night when i saw her. . . she just looked so sad :(
  • neg_posneg_pos Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    pictures and a youtube video please! :D
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You 'could' contact Cat Protection to see if she's been reported missing. I have to admit I'd be a little reluctant since she doesn't appear to have been properly taken care of though.

We found our youngest cat in our wheelie bin.:eek: He was so underweight the vet wasn't sure he'd survive and his long coat was just a mass of dirt and matts. We did contact Cat Protection to see if he'd been reported missing, but we made it very clear that unless any owner had a damn good excuse for his condition, (maybe he'd been missing for some time) we wouldn't be returning him without a fight. No-one claimed him thankfully and he's one of the family now.

I think you may have a new pet and I demand to see photos.:D
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she's as young as 7 weeks, she should still be with her Mum, so either the Mum is a stray, or kitten got out somehow.

I'd guess she got seperated from Mum and that's why she was crying, poor mite.

You did the right thing though, and unless she somehow escaped someone's house (unlikely really being that small?) she's much better off now I think!

And photos please! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    Hi

Last night, at about 11pm i was sat in my bedroom and i ahd the window open, my garden backs onto a field.

I could hear this really high pitched squeaking and i was looking out the window but could not see anything. it was playing on my mind so i decided to go outside to have a look, next to the fence by a plant pot i found a kitten, she (i think) is so so tiny, and really skinny. It was so cold last night so i brought her in and put a hot water bottle in my box with blankets over it. i sat with her untill about 2 this morning then fell asleep. I woke up at 6 and she seems perky, i gave her a little bit of mushed cat food and she ate all of it.

I have brought her into work today (my boss is on holiday!) shes under my desk in a box, i rang the vet who agreed to have a look at her for me. She must only be about 6 - 7 weeks old.

Thanks

what a lovely thing you did taking her in. Poor thing must have been freezing. I say keep her if she has stolen your heart. Bless. she must be sssssooooo chuffed to have found you. You should add this to the "were you meant to have the pet you have" thread :D

congratulations and await some pics please!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Thanks

I would try not to get attached yet as she may be a family pet that has escaped......... however if no-one comes forward then you have to keep her - she choose you after all ;)

Let the vet know the situation (as they owners - if there are any - may contact the vets) and keep your eyes open for posters etc...

I hope the vet gives her the OK and please, please do post some piccies as soon as you can (there's me encouraging you not to get attached LOL!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    She must be young if she's still got blue eyes!
    She sounds gorgeous. Stick up a few posters and if nobody claims here, I think she's meant to be yours!
    Forum Member
    I would try not to get attached yet as she may be a family pet that has escaped......... however if no-one comes forward then you have to keep her - she choose you after all ;)

Let the vet know the situation (as they owners - if there are any - may contact the vets) and keep your eyes open for posters etc...

I hope the vet gives her the OK and please, please do post some piccies as soon as you can (there's me encouraging you not to get attached LOL!)

She did indeed bless her!

Shes under my desk snuggled into a big fluffy dog soft toy! will try and take some pictures later and post them on here, every one in the office loves her, she was wondering around my desk earlier, very interested in the mouse on the screen!!
  • louiselplouiselp Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Last night was freezing cold!! - I think you saved "your" little kitten's life by taking her in.

I am going say something very silly - but it may help age the little mite - what is "her" tail like? Does it look like a piece of string? or has it filled out.... I had a very young kitten (given to my by an old farmer) and Elmo's tail was "like a bit of string" my vet was able to tell me he was only about 5 weeks old. - he's now 8 years old and a real solid "fat" cat!

I think you have every right to claim the kitten - unless someone local puts out a plea for her return. Check with your vet, and your local newsagent for postcards etc - if she is lost then her owner will make lots of noises to get her returned. - hope this makes sense.

And good luck with your new little friend.
    Forum Member
    louiselp wrote: »
    Last night was freezing cold!! - I think you saved "your" little kitten's life by taking her in.

I am going say something very silly - but it may help age the little mite - what is "her" tail like? Does it look like a piece of string? or has it filled out.... I had a very young kitten (given to my by an old farmer) and Elmo's tail was "like a bit of string" my vet was able to tell me he was only about 5 weeks old. - he's now 8 years old and a real solid "fat" cat!

I think you have every right to claim the kitten - unless someone local puts out a plea for her return. Check with your vet, and your local newsagent for postcards etc - if she is lost then her owner will make lots of noises to get her returned. - hope this makes sense.

And good luck with your new little friend.

Its not to skinny, she has quite a full face its just her middle that seems so tiny!! I will keep an eye out for posters cards etc. The local radio is on at work too so i will here any pet shout out things!!

Shes awake now. . pooed in the box which was lovely, but it all looked pretty normal, shes on my lap at the moment playing with some string, very cute. . . finding it very hard to get any work done!!
    Forum Member
    Hiya Guys

Just been to the vet, turns out she is a he! (easy mistake to make :o ) lol, He is healthy just a bit on the skinny side, vet gave me some vitamin suppliment stuff so i will be giving that too him. he said if he hears any thing about a lost kitten then he will let me know but if not am i happy to keep him :D which i am . . .

Have named him Alfie for now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Awwwhhh. It's a very lucky thing if a cat finds you.

If you run out of the stuff the vet has given you, buy some Nourish-um paste from your pet shop. It's got everything in it and is very calorific. I used it for my little girl kitten as she was a bit on the weeny side when I got her. I fed it to her and her brother and they went mad for it. They are bloomin' huge now!

Good luck with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Having lost a kitten in August, it is devestating and not easy to deal with at times. If I were in your shoes I would do everything that I did for reverse circumstances .. (contact vets in the area, rescue centres, etc) sounds as though it is a stray though from your description.

At least then you know that you've done all the things you can and then look after it, you can be sure you can give him a good home.

I always just hope and prey that mine wandered in to a garden of somebody kind like you xx
    Forum Member
    Smutbucket wrote: »
    Hi

Having lost a kitten in August, it is devestating and not easy to deal with at times. If I were in your shoes I would do everything that I did for reverse circumstances .. (contact vets in the area, rescue centres, etc) sounds as though it is a stray though from your description.

At least then you know that you've done all the things you can and then look after it, you can be sure you can give him a good home.

I always just hope and prey that mine wandered in to a garden of somebody kind like you xx

Thats really kind thank you. And im really sorry to hear about your kitten, i have another young cat who i had from 9 weeks old and i would have been devistated to have lost her. . . i will do all i can, there is a local resuce centre near by and a pet shop so i will call both of those for them to let me know. . i really can asure you i would not want to steal any one elses pet xx
  • Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pet shop may advise you to put a found note in their window. If you do don't be too specific about what he looks like and get anyone who responds to describe him to you not the other way around - given the time of year you don't want him to end up being claimed by some opportunist who decides he'd make a nice, free of charge Christmas present for someone.

I hope nobody's looking for him. It's easier said than done to not get attached. Pic of him cuddling up to the fluffy dog toy please.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    You 'could' contact Cat Protection to see if she's been reported missing. I have to admit I'd be a little reluctant since she doesn't appear to have been properly taken care of though.

We found our youngest cat in our wheelie bin.:eek: He was so underweight the vet wasn't sure he'd survive and his long coat was just a mass of dirt and matts. We did contact Cat Protection to see if he'd been reported missing, but we made it very clear that unless any owner had a damn good excuse for his condition, (maybe he'd been missing for some time) we wouldn't be returning him without a fight. No-one claimed him thankfully and he's one of the family now.

I think you may have a new pet and I demand to see photos.:D

I agree ask CPL for their help (costs of vacinations, neutering, flea,worming etc, and say you are more than willing to give kitty a home, should they be prepared to help. They will:)
    Forum Member
    hi,

Just got home as had to take him to the vets again as he went downhill really quickly, he went all floppy and lethagic and was being very sick. The vet said as he is so young and we dont know how long he was outside or what he had been eating its could be a number of things.

He has given him an injection and told me not to feed him anything and just make sure he has plenty of fluids over night and is kept warm, he is in his box with hotwater bottle and just looks so small and i just wish there was more i could do now x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, how awful. Hope he will be okay. My thoughts are with you. Guess you won't be getting much sleep tonight either. :(
    Forum Member
    flicker wrote: »
    Oh no, how awful. Hope he will be okay. My thoughts are with you. Guess you won't be getting much sleep tonight either. :(

No i dont think so! he is sleeping now, keep looking at him every 2 seconds to make sure he is ok!! x
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope he's fine!

I admire you for taking him under your wing and caring for him - i've been reading in the news that people are dumping their pets due to the credit crunch. It's sickening.

I wouldn't mind you posting a little photo on t'internet for us all :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm keeping everything crossed for him and you! I hope he will be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience, the kitten got pneumonia had to stay on a drip for 4 days, but with lots of love and attention she pulled through.

Fingers crossed. I kept mine in her bed between our pillows so I could keep and eye on her at night....lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Hope the kitten is feeling much better this morning and that you managed to get at least a couple of hours sleep.

nothing more heartbreaking than finding a stray kitten. Both of my cats were rescued from the street when they were about 6- 8 weeks old and they really do tug at your heart strings.

Well done for taking him in...lots of other people wouldnt have

Please keep us updated and let us know how he is doing today
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi,

Just got home as had to take him to the vets again as he went downhill really quickly, he went all floppy and lethagic and was being very sick. The vet said as he is so young and we dont know how long he was outside or what he had been eating its could be a number of things.

He has given him an injection and told me not to feed him anything and just make sure he has plenty of fluids over night and is kept warm, he is in his box with hotwater bottle and just looks so small and i just wish there was more i could do now x

How is he doing today lottie? Poor little mite!! Thank God you found him when you did!!
This discussion has been closed.