2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm detecting a lack of love for the Sylvester McCoy era here. I always used to hate them but once I bought the dvds I enjoyed paradise towers,delta and the bannermen and the happiness patrol. Time and the rani though is terrible the worst Dr who ever along with the twin dilemma and I really struggle with ghost light,its sat on my shelf only once watched,my memories are of it dragging even though it only had 3 episodes. They badly let us down with the silver nemesis DVD,the extended video version is much better than watching the transmitted version and the deleted scenes. Silver nemesis really needs a revisit-a restored vhs version along with a movie length version with all the deleted scenes.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm detecting a lack of love for the Sylvester McCoy era here. I always used to hate them but once I bought the dvds I enjoyed paradise towers,delta and the bannermen and the happiness patrol. Time and the rani though is terrible the worst Dr who ever along with the twin dilemma and I really struggle with ghost light,its sat on my shelf only once watched,my memories are of it dragging even though it only had 3 episodes. They badly let us down with the silver nemesis DVD,the extended video version is much better than watching the transmitted version and the deleted scenes. Silver nemesis really needs a revisit-a restored vhs version along with a movie length version with all the deleted scenes.

I haven't watched any of his stuff as of yet, but I am looking forward to it. :)
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with Silver Nemesis apart from it being a bit 80's. I'd buy a special edition one day.

I have much love for McCoy's era even with its cheesy 80's ness.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    Neither could I but I wanted Revenge so much I bought the double pack and chucked Silver Nemesis out. Wouldn't have it in the house.

pmsl I did that too. Although it did make a good drinks coaster whilst watching Revenge.

I now have Genesis in the box with Revenge on the shelf.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I made the mistake of buying the happiness patrol recently. I wish I hadn't but its not being chucked! D:

Ah, I meant Delta and the Bannermen, not THP! :O
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always have attempted to sell it on eBay for ~£2.
    You never know, there might be someone out there wanting to buy Silver Nemesis.

I'd rather watch Paradise Towers on loop rather than have to endure bilge such as The Sun Makers, Underworld, The Twin Dilemma or Delta and the Bannermen again.

I think there should be a "Time" box set released which contains restored versions of everyone's favourite classics Time Flight, Timelash and Time and the Rani.

:confused::confused: Sun Makers is one of the all time great Who stories, and Delta's not bad either, certainly by far the best of its series. A series which included the abysmal Paradise Towers!
  • Tegan JovankaTegan Jovanka Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any details on The Moonbase? Artwork, special features, animation etc? I'm really llooking forward to seeing this story in full. I saw the two episodes on Lost in Time and loved them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The monsters collection dvds.

Cybermen.
    The tomb of the Cybermen/rise of the Cybermen/the age of steel.

Daleks.
    The daleks/asylum of the daleks.

Sontarans.
    The time warrior/the sontaran stratagem/the poison sky.

Davros.
    Genesis if the daleks/the stolen earth/journey's end.

Silurians.
    Doctor who @ the Silurians/the hungry earth/cold blood.

The master
    Terror of the autons/the end of time parts 1 @ 2.

Be interesting to see if the Jon pertwee the Silurians has had any*further restoration work done on it. There is a chance for folk to buy terror of the autons without having to get spearhead from space but lol yet another chance to own the end of time on DVD.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cybermen.

Daleks.

Sontarans.

Davros.

Silurians.

The master

Be interesting to see if the Jon pertwee the Silurians has had any*further restoration work done on it. There is a chance for folk to buy terror of the autons without having to get spearhead from space but lol yet another chance to own the end of time on DVD.

Yay more re-releases.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    :confused::confused: Sun Makers is one of the all time great Who stories, and Delta's not bad either, certainly by far the best of its series. A series which included the abysmal Paradise Towers!

Subjective. The Sun Makers is IMO one of the worst episodes I've ever seen, and Delta's so bad it's good. We all differ, :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Subjective. The Sun Makers is IMO one of the worst episodes I've ever seen, and Delta's so bad it's good. We all differ, :)

Yes it is subjective, but I am totally shocked you can think that about Sunmakers. :eek: One of the greatest stories of all time. Where do you think my Username came from. :D (And Delta's so good it's good.)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't stand The Sun Makers. Watched it yesterday and couldn't wait for it to end. It was just so painfully boring.
    The same goes for The Ribos Operation which I watched today. Many people like it because it's a decent story, but for me the lack of a monster or megalomaniacal computer just bored the life out of me.

Anyway, back on topic, is it true they're going to release The Moonbase? I haven't got round to watching any Troughton yet (not that there is much surviving anyway), but bought The Tomb of the Cybermen in preparation of when I get round to it and I'm also planning to get The Ice Warriors to add to my small DVD collection. Is the Moonbase regarded as a good story I should consider buying?
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Yay more re-releases.

YES, YAY! MORE RERELEASES! Not all the DVDs are aimed squarely at YOU you know. These aren't part of the classic series range and form part of the mainstream BBC dvd releases. Including nuwho episodes on the dvds further bridges the gap between classic and nuwho, shows how far the program has come in 50 years through 1 old and 1 new story per monster on each release, and also entices fans of the new series to buy the new episodes and see the classic era too. It's the perfect release for a classic who newbie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moonbase quite good,much better than the tenth planet. Look forward to seeing a complete version of it.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, back on topic, is it true they're going to release The Moonbase?

Yes, they are. Here is the current release list:

Doctors Revisited 1-4: US: July 16th
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: July 15th, US: August 13th
    The Green Death (SE): UK: August 5th, US: August 13th
    The Ice Warriors: UK: August 26th, US: September 10th (?)
    Scream of the Shalka: UK: September 16th, US: October 8th (?)
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: September 30th, US: October 8th (?)
    The Moonbase: UK: October 21st, US: November 12 (?)
    The Tenth Planet: UK: November 18th, US: December 10th (?)

and

The Underwater Menace: Episode 2 (2nd Doctor)

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth (1st Doctor)
    The Web Planet (1st Doctor)
    The Mind Robber (2nd Doctor)
    Genesis of the Daleks (4th Doctor)
    Pyramids of Mars (4th Doctor)
    The Hand of Fear (4th Doctor)
    Horror of Fang Rock (4th Doctor)
    City of Death (4th Doctor)
    The Leisure Hive (4th Doctor)
    Earthshock (5th Doctor)
    The Mark of the Rani (6th Doctor)
    The Two Doctors (6th Doctor)
    Revelation of the Daleks (6th Doctor)
    Ghost Light (7th Doctor)
    The Curse of Fenric (7th Doctor)

And with possible future completed by animation releases:

The Crusade (1st Doctor)
    The Underwater Menace (2nd Doctor)
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES, YAY! MORE RERELEASES! Not all the DVDs are aimed squarely at YOU you know. These aren't part of the classic series range and form part of the mainstream BBC dvd releases. Including nuwho episodes on the dvds further bridges the gap between classic and nuwho, shows how far the program has come in 50 years through 1 old and 1 new story per monster on each release, and also entices fans of the new series to buy the new episodes and see the classic era too. It's the perfect release for a classic who newbie.

It is just my opinion. I understand why they do it. Don't think they will sell well though. Unless supermarkets knock the price down, and keep them on shelves for a long period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stand The Sun Makers. Watched it yesterday and couldn't wait for it to end. It was just so painfully boring.
    The same goes for The Ribos Operation which I watched today. Many people like it because it's a decent story, but for me the lack of a monster or megalomaniacal computer just bored the life out of me.

Anyway, back on topic, is it true they're going to release The Moonbase? I haven't got round to watching any Troughton yet (not that there is much surviving anyway), but bought The Tomb of the Cybermen in preparation of when I get round to it and I'm also planning to get The Ice Warriors to add to my small DVD collection. Is the Moonbase regarded as a good story I should consider buying?

You don't like Ribos either???? :confused: Wow! Are you sure you're a Doctor Who fan? Maybe you just don't like Robert Holmes stories.
  • slider28slider28 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I liked the Sun Makers!!! The Tom Baker that put me to sleep was "The Bore Of Fang Rock" I know a lot of people liked it. but for me it was a snoozer!
  • ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    slider28 wrote: »
    I liked the Sun Makers!!! The Tom Baker that put me to sleep was "The Bore Of Fang Rock" I know a lot of people liked it. but for me it was a snoozer!

Amazing how people's tastes differ. Fang Rock is one of my all times faves and I enjoyed it as a kid on it's first release and still love it now.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't like Ribos either???? :confused: Wow! Are you sure you're a Doctor Who fan? Maybe you just don't like Robert Holmes stories.

Okay, I'll admit there was some good dialogue in there, but it just bored me for an hour and a half.
    Robert Holmes has written a lot more exciting stories such as Spearhead from Space, The Time Warrior, The Talons of Weng Chiang and The Caves of Androzani to name a few.
    Valeron wrote: »
    Amazing how people's tastes differ. Fang Rock is one of my all times faves and I enjoyed it as a kid on it's first release and still love it now.

Oh yes, the Horror of Fang Rock is one of the best Doctor Who stories I've ever watched. I much prefer alien menaces over witty Shakespearian-esque theatrics.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cybermen.

Daleks.

Sontarans.

Davros.

Silurians.

The master

They are for young fans that are just getting into the show. Not part of the main range. There is going to be zero additional work done on the dvds
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of interesting stuff here lately.

Has anyone else noticed the mention in the latest DWM, that Underwater Menace is due for DVD in 2014? I wonder what they'll do to it, and whether that'll animate the missing two episodes?

The Monsters Collection DVDs are a nice idea, but I won't be bothering with them. I wonder how many young'uns will get the Dalek one and have their illusions shattered by the first Dalek story?!?! I mean ... it goes on a bit ... and pairing it up with Asylum is an interesting choice!

The Moonbase DVD is eagerly awaited in the Chuff house. Much better than its reputation: the soundtrack CDs are excellent.

My only contribution to the Sunmakers debate is that DW has never felt more like Blake's Seven!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anything else is planned in 2014 apart from underwater menace?I keenly await its release as it will be the last known to exist episode (classic series) released for DVD and then I can start my mammoth Dr who rewatch from the start. Is anyone else planning to do the same? My rules will be to watch the original versions only in transmission order,no special editions,no extras,no commentaries,no audio episodes to fill the gaps but animated episodes allowed.ie reign of terror can be watched as a complete story but if I get to the crusade before a special edition dvd is released then I can only watch the 2 surviving episodes. I wonder how long it will take? Attempted this once on vhs and got as far as day of the daleks but had to give it up as more and more dvds started to come out and take over the limited time I have for viewing.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anything else is planned in 2014 apart from underwater menace?I keenly await its release as it will be the last known to exist episode (classic series) released for DVD and then I can start my mammoth Dr who rewatch from the start. Is anyone else planning to do the same? My rules will be to watch the original versions only in transmission order,no special editions,no extras,no commentaries,no audio episodes to fill the gaps but animated episodes allowed.ie reign of terror can be watched as a complete story but if I get to the crusade before a special edition dvd is released then I can only watch the 2 surviving episodes. I wonder how long it will take? Attempted this once on vhs and got as far as day of the daleks but had to give it up as more and more dvds started to come out and take over the limited time I have for viewing.

I'm thinking of doing the extreme version of watching all the episodes on their broadcast date. Like watching An Unearthly Child on November 23rd then the week after I watch part 2 so on and take the brake between seasons. Bit mad I know :D:D but it gives the classic experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing the extreme version of watching all the episodes on their broadcast date. Like watching An Unearthly Child on November 23rd then the week after I watch part 2 so on and take the brake between seasons. Bit mad I know :D:D but it gives the classic experience.

I won't live long enough to try that one.