Internet Banking issues

Hi, I’ve been a NatWest customer for more years than I care to remember and always had the same current account number. I do all my banking/transactions online but I am becoming a little weary of a few ‘features’ of NatWest’s’ internet system.

Notwithstanding the absolute disasters NatWest had in March last year (and again in July, though not quite as bad) there are 2 issues (amongst others) that really frustrate me.
If I select my current account it will display an ‘account summary’ showing the last 6 transactions, pretty much real time. Depending on the ‘type’ of transaction these entries may, or may not, be viewable on the full ‘Account Statement’ page if selected.

If there are more than 6 transactions in a day (which is the norm for me) then some of the older transactions fall into a ‘no man’s land’ between the ‘Account summary’ page and the full ‘Account Statement’ page. These transactions cannot be viewed or found by any search. The only way to check that a payment, which lies in the ‘no man’s land’, has actually been debited from the account is to physically tot up (with a calculator) the totals between the Account Summary & the full Statement page. Not an easy task when there are lots of transactions.

Something else I find annoying; when I make a payment to a regular account that is entered on my ‘Payee List’ there is no place to add a small note to the transaction to say what the payment was actually for; for the Payer or the Payee. I have, at times, spent ages trawling through payments to a regular ‘Payee’ trying to match up a particular service with an actual ‘amount’. A small description to accompany each payment would make life so much easier.

I have no extensive experience of internet banking with any other bank but NatWest; can anyone suggest a more user-friendly alternative?
Regards

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    I have no extensive experience of internet banking with any other bank but NatWest; can anyone suggest a more user-friendly alternative?
    The only experience I have for current accounts is the Co-Operative Bank system and for many years now that has worked extremely well for me.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Halifax system is very easy to use. It doesn't have any of the issues mentioned above, you can see a demo of what it looks like online http://www.onlinebankingdemo.co.uk/launchhalifax.html
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you contacted NatWest about the problems/annoyances you are experiencing and, if so, what was their response?
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have both RBS and Natwest accounts and they both use the same software apart from logos and names.
    I also use Microsoft Money which ceased to be sold or supported a long time ago.
    I download my account transactions from the RBS website and import them into Money. I have my direct debits loaded into Money and usually enter transactions into it so that they are matched against the download.
    Transactions can be allocated an expense type and reports give me a breakdown of receipts and payments against each category type, as well as by payee.
    I have looked at alternatives to Money but there doesn't appear to be one. It is still working running under Windows 7 but if I had to reinstall it from the disc is there an online update that I need that is no longer available?
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest thing that annoys me with NatWest online is that some months ago they dropped their 'instant updates'. When I first went online banking some time ago whatever transaction I made with my debit card would show straight away online. Then several months ago that was stopped and although the available balance is updated the overall balance shows the higher figure.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    Does your bank give you an option to download your transactions to a format which could be loaded up in Excel or something which could make things easier?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The Halifax system is very easy to use. It doesn't have any of the issues mentioned above, you can see a demo of what it looks like online http://www.onlinebankingdemo.co.uk/launchhalifax.html

I hate what Lloyds did to the Halifax online banking site, this secret word thing and chose 3 characters for it is a pain in the neck. I prefer the older system, i don't think it is any more secure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever transaction I made with my debit card would show straight away online.
    The Co-Op Bank system is rather strange in that regard but I don't know if it's standard behaviour or not. Cash withdrawals from ATM's or the Post Office made with the Co-Op debit card show up on the web site immediately (well, by the time I get home and log in), whereas purchases in shops (physical or online) often don't show up on the web site for two or three days. It's been like that for many years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    The Co-Op Bank system is rather strange in that regard but I don't know if it's standard behaviour or not. Cash withdrawals from ATM's or the Post Office made with the Co-Op debit card show up on the web site immediately (well, by the time I get home and log in), whereas purchases in shops (physical or online) often don't show up on the web site for two or three days. It's been like that for many years.

This is exactly the system that NatWest now seem to use. However, as I say up to a few months back all debit card transactions would be 'on the account' by the time I got home. No explanations of course for the change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I hate what Lloyds did to the Halifax online banking site, this secret word thing and chose 3 characters for it is a pain in the neck. I prefer the older system, i don't think it is any more secure.

Oh it is, because if your system is injected with a keylogger you never have to type the full word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh it is, because if your system is injected with a keylogger you never have to type the full word.
    Some online banks (for example ING Direct now called Barclays Direct, and ICICI) also use a virtual keyboard system to defeat keyloggers. These make life a bit more awkward for users but are said to be considerably more secure.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I’ve been a NatWest customer for more years...

I use Natwest business banking. I've never had the problems you describe, but I have a lot less transactions.

Have you tried the mobile apps for Apple, Android or Windows Phone? These allow you to scroll down a list of all transactions.

The other alternative is to download statements as .csv
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Santander is a breeze.................Never had any problems with their system..
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    I use Natwest business banking. I've never had the problems you describe, but I have a lot less transactions.

Have you tried the mobile apps for Apple, Android or Windows Phone? These allow you to scroll down a list of all transactions.

The other alternative is to download statements as .csv

Hi, many thanks for the reply my friend.

I don’t have a smart phone; but I’ll try my sons’ iphone to see what that tells me.

When you display your transactions using the ‘Account Summary’ option how many transactions can you actually view? I can only ever see a maximum of 6.

Downloading the Statements as a comma separated value file just gives me the info that is available on the statement. It is the transactions that are in the ‘dead zone’ between the full statement and account summary that cause me problems.

Regards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Some online banks (for example ING Direct now called Barclays Direct, and ICICI) also use a virtual keyboard system to defeat keyloggers. These make life a bit more awkward for users but are said to be considerably more secure.

Depends, what Halifax are doing is onscreen as you're selecting the digits from a dropdown and with the added benefit that if somebody looks over your shoulder they don't see you entering a full password. I'd argue that Halifax is more secure if you never enter the full password, but prove you know the characters they ask for, not knowing what they'll be, and with a lock out.

You can't create a new payee on Halifax without an automated phone call, so it makes little difference.
  • Biggles1000Biggles1000 Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    cp2 wrote: »
    I have both RBS and Natwest accounts and they both use the same software apart from logos and names.
    I also use Microsoft Money which ceased to be sold or supported a long time ago.
    I download my account transactions from the RBS website and import them into Money. I have my direct debits loaded into Money and usually enter transactions into it so that they are matched against the download.
    Transactions can be allocated an expense type and reports give me a breakdown of receipts and payments against each category type, as well as by payee.
    I have looked at alternatives to Money but there doesn't appear to be one. It is still working running under Windows 7 but if I had to reinstall it from the disc is there an online update that I need that is no longer available?

These two links with regard to Money, might be of use!

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dfa5b7bd-b200-4cd5-9e39-199dbadff09d/money-2005-and-1105-patch

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

I've successfully created an installation disc with the new files following the instructions in the second post.

They work quite happily in Windows 7 & 8 - 64 bit, without any compatibility probems!

I apologise if posting these particular links breaks any forum conditions, that I might have overlooked.:o
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These two links with regard to Money, might be of use!

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dfa5b7bd-b200-4cd5-9e39-199dbadff09d/money-2005-and-1105-patch

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

I've successfully created an installation disc with the new files following the instructions in the second post.

They work quite happily in Windows 7 & 8 - 64 bit, without any compatibility probems!

I apologise if posting these particular links breaks any forum conditions, that I might have overlooked.:o

Thanks for this! Now all I need to do is upgrade from Money 2003!
    Seriously, it has given me a starting point should I need to reinstall.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Santanders and Nationwides are very good.

For choosing bank accounts though, why not look at the benefits of the actual bank accounts instead of just online access?

Nationwide, 5% interest if you pay in a £1000 a month. Better than any savings account.
    Santander 123, cash back on utility and phone bills. With the credit card as well you get fuel and supermarket cashback and the fee is free with the current account for the first year.

I used to also be lazy with bank accounts until i realise how much they rip you off if you stay with the same one for years and never shop around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i also think that someone could come up with a system that could work out your secret word in time, unless it is changed a lot and most people will not do that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i also think that someone could come up with a system that could work out your secret word in time, unless it is changed a lot and most people will not do that.

Even then they couldn't create a new payee because it relies on calling an already listed telephone number to verify automatically.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even then they couldn't create a new payee because it relies on calling an already listed telephone number to verify automatically.

er?
    What calls who?

Also if that is the case then why change the system?

this was just Lloyds putting the mark on it to be honest, oh i hate lloyds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    er?
    What calls who?

Also if that is the case then why change the system?

this was just Lloyds putting the mark on it to be honest, oh i hate lloyds.

What calls who?

When you create a new payee they call your pre-registered mobile number via an automated call and display 4 digits on-screen. You just type the 4 digs into the phone then your payee is created.

Without this you can't pay anyone new, so it means even if your account was hacked the fraudsters would also have to physically have your phone and be able to answer the call and agree to the transfer by typing in the digits on-screen.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I’ve been a NatWest customer for more years than I care to remember and always had the same current account number. I do all my banking/transactions online but I am becoming a little weary of a few ‘features’ of NatWest’s’ internet system.

Notwithstanding the absolute disasters NatWest had in March last year (and again in July, though not quite as bad) there are 2 issues (amongst others) that really frustrate me.
    If I select my current account it will display an ‘account summary’ showing the last 6 transactions, pretty much real time. Depending on the ‘type’ of transaction these entries may, or may not, be viewable on the full ‘Account Statement’ page if selected.

If there are more than 6 transactions in a day (which is the norm for me) then some of the older transactions fall into a ‘no man’s land’ between the ‘Account summary’ page and the full ‘Account Statement’ page. These transactions cannot be viewed or found by any search. The only way to check that a payment, which lies in the ‘no man’s land’, has actually been debited from the account is to physically tot up (with a calculator) the totals between the Account Summary & the full Statement page. Not an easy task when there are lots of transactions.

Something else I find annoying; when I make a payment to a regular account that is entered on my ‘Payee List’ there is no place to add a small note to the transaction to say what the payment was actually for; for the Payer or the Payee. I have, at times, spent ages trawling through payments to a regular ‘Payee’ trying to match up a particular service with an actual ‘amount’. A small description to accompany each payment would make life so much easier.

Regards

All my transactions will show in the statement the next working day after the transaction has cleared. Some transaction e.g. transfers between accounts that are both NatWest can show faster.

It seems like your main issue is that you don't want to wait until the following day, you want to see transactions updated in real time? Is that correct? Can I ask why?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member

If there are more than 6 transactions in a day (which is the norm for me) then some of the older transactions fall into a ‘no man’s land’ between the ‘Account summary’ page and the full ‘Account Statement’ page. These transactions cannot be viewed or found by any search.

I don't understand why they don't show everything all in one go - it seems to be an archaic system they are using. I say this because Barclays online banking shows every transaction for the last month, immediately, with immediate updates. So if I pay my credit card bill online from my online banking, it shows up immediately in the balance and on the statement listing - along with all the last month's entries too. Even at 2 am.

Unless I've misunderstood your post, it looks like Natwest need to do some systems catch-up. Can you give an example of the kind of transaction that doesn't show up anywhere, immediately?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I don't understand why they don't show everything all in one go - it seems to be an archaic system they are using. I say this because Barclays online banking shows every transaction for the last month, immediately, with immediate updates. So if I pay my credit card bill online from my online banking, it shows up immediately in the balance and on the statement listing - along with all the last month's entries too. Even at 2 am.

Unless I've misunderstood your post, it looks like Natwest need to do some systems catch-up. Can you give an example of the kind of transaction that doesn't show up anywhere, immediately?

If I go to Saintsbury's and spend £50 on my debit card my available balance will be updated to reflect the £50 but the actual statement shows nothing for 2 to 3 days, more on a bank holiday weekend.