Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people have said they think the dad is having an affair with the hotel receptionist.
    Where has this idea come from?
    Have they had any scenes together yet,any contact been shown between them?
    I'm pretty sure I've not missed a second of this so far ( even waited for the ad breaks to make a brew)
    I can understand the speculation about the boy's mum and the policewoman's husband ( the families are old friends and connections like that can happen) but I don't get why the connection is being made between the dad and hotel woman.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I think the main reason I suspect him may just be because the character the actor played in The Baker Boys was so untrustworthy!

Yes, and he was saying the service was very poorly attended. I find that hard to believe because whenever a child is killed in real life, there will be a news report on how their local church was packed out the following Sunday.

Certainly when we had the tragedy here last year (the Polish man who killed his wife, children, father-in-law, family friend and her daughter) my local Catholic priest in charge in Jersey was interviewed before, during and after the event on national TV, including being asked about the special Mass on the Sunday following the killings - which was indeed packed to overflowing. It happens anyway, usually, doesn't it? But even more so when the victim is a child because it just makes everyone so emotional - the churches in the area, no matter what the denomination, tend to become places where people feel drawn to, whether they are church-goers of faith or not. I'd have expected the local community in Broadchurch to have reflected that by packing out the Rev Coates' church in the same way. :confused:
  • moogestermoogester Posts: 15,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that, I also thought it was weird when he said to the vicar that Danny was 'left for dead'. Don't know if I'm reading too much into it but it seemed a weird thing to say unless he had other info.

I picked up on that too - surely he would have said something about God letting him die, not 'left for dead'?
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    The policewoman, Ellie, only came back from leave the morning of the discovery of the murder and had obviously been somewhere abroad. I suppose the husband could have snuck out the previous evening ... well, maybe. As for the moaning about the effect on tourism, I live in a tourist area and it was totally real that that would happen, although I would have thought it would attract rubberneckers rather than the opposite.

I agree that surely one of the first things the police would have done would have been to check out the dad's alibi and would have asked for the address of the job where he was supposed to have been working.

No Ellie came back from maternity leave ...thats why she thought she was going to get the promotion but David Tennant got it instead.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people have said they think the dad is having an affair with the hotel receptionist.
    Where has this idea come from?
    Have they had any scenes together yet,any contact been shown between them?
    I'm pretty sure I've not missed a second of this so far ( even waited for the ad breaks to make a brew)
    I can understand the speculation about the boy's mum and the policewoman's husband ( the families are old friends and connections like that can happen) but I don't get why the connection is being made between the dad and hotel woman.

They spoke to each other in that bit right at the beginning of the first episode when he was walking down the main street talking to loads of people.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    BIB wasn't it the older daughter not the son?

Ooops , my bad...I meant daughter !
    But the son found out and was blackmailing the dad hence the £500 and the blood in the chalet....the dad isn't the murderer though I dont think.....
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Ooops , my bad...I meant daughter !
    But the son found out and was blackmailing the dad hence the £500 and the blood in the chalet....the dad isn't the murderer though I dont think.....

Probably the Vicar to up his congregation numbers. :D:D
  • CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Oooooh.

Is there an innocent reason for her to have Danny's skateboard? (Jumping to conclusions here. She could be a secret skateboarder :D )
    She's a cleaner ? See all the keys she had ?

The father had a kind of smirk on his face when Alex was questioning him , not the kind of anxious look you'd have if you were about to be caught out in something.
    The fact that his print was found in the hut where SOCO's said Danny had been looks like the hut was used as a meeting place between dad and ...?
    Have we been told what Alex is suffering from after the Sandbrook case and what has the psychic revealed from a deceased persson connected to him that caused him to look startled ?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something that's been puzzling me: the police said they retrieved Danny's "social networking posts" from his hard drive. Does anyone know why they did it that way? Wouldn't they have been better to just view his Facebook (or whatever) page, or serve a warrant on Facebook to have the messages retrieved from a server backup, if they have been deleted? Because any posts he made from another device (such as his missing phone) won't be on his hard drive if he never viewed them on there, will they?
  • JonGTFCFanJonGTFCFan Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I assume most of us have guessed that the journalist has 'bugged' the soft toy that she returned?
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    No Ellie came back from maternity leave ...thats why she thought she was going to get the promotion but David Tennant got it instead.

I am still trying to understand this, and don't want to be argumentative - I just don't think that we have enough information to make sense of it.

She said that she had been off for three weeks. The youngest child is over a year old. How can she have been on maternity leave?

Perhaps it was just a "staycation" at home with her family.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the Vicar to up his congregation numbers. :D:D

Didn't work though did it? :)

Should have kidnapped the boy instead. Gets lots of people in church praying for the child's safety. Not much use praying if the poor kid is dead.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonGTFCFan wrote: »
    I assume most of us have guessed that the journalist has 'bugged' the soft toy that she returned?

I hadn't but then I never think about things like that. I just thought she was trying to make her a friend to gain her confidence but good call altho after the recent phone call bugging I am not sure they would do this
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Didn't work though did it? :)

Should have kidnapped the boy instead. Gets lots of people in church praying for the child's safety. Not much use praying if the poor kid is dead.

Well the grandmother pointed out to him that he had to be 'seen'. Cue TV appearance. :D
    Forum Member
    LaineyT wrote: »

No they had been on an extended holiday, she had brought back gifts. You don't do that on returning from maternity leave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Ooh, so many clues and red herrings.

The dad's secret could be an affair, or he could be up to no good in another way - maybe he's stealing the tractor petrol? Or maybe Danny is, and that's where he got the cash from.

They said that cleaning fluids were found on Danny's body and the hut had been cleaned leaving just the dad's fingerprints at the sink and Danny's fingerprint in his blood near the door. Was Danny cleaned up or did he do the cleaning?

I think the scene at the beginning of Danny stood on top of the cliff with blood dripping from his hand was real not a dream. Did he cut his finger on the broken barbed wire near the tractor, and that's why his blood is in the hut?

Or were he and his friend blackmailing someone - hence the money and the deleted files?

What were the other messages they got from his 'Facebook' page? Something about hearing people next door? I can't remember.

Maybe Danny wasn't even strangled by big hands? Perhaps it was an accident, and the real crime is hiding somewhere else.
  • CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zydecocat wrote: »
    Maybe Danny wasn't even strangled by big hands? Perhaps it was an accident, and the real crime is hiding somewhere else.
    Pathologists don't make those kind of mistakes.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pauline Quirke's character will be the key to revealing the killer. She has a job which allows her to be in the background in peoples homes, therefore she will see little things that may not make any sense to her at the time but her suspicious mind will be watching out for odd behaviour.

The pace of the drama is good, it gives you time to think. Each episode is showing us that all the characters we've seen so far have their secrets which I think is building up to a domino affect resulting in the boy's death.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie told her boss that she wouldn't have taken the '3 weeks leave' if she hadn't been assured she'd get the promotion.

3 weeks' leave isn't maternity leave!
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people actually find such poorly written, over emotional, terribly acted, and over produced codwallop entertaining?

I have it on in the background and don't miss anything as there is so much filler in it (about half the programme is bloody slow motions!).

It's a pathetic excuse of a programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people actually find such poorly written, over emotional, terribly acted, and over produced codwallop entertaining?

I have it on in the background and don't miss anything as there is so much filler in it (about half the programme is bloody slow motions!).

I have a simple answer for you.....DONT WATCH!
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Something that's been puzzling me: the police said they retrieved Danny's "social networking posts" from his hard drive. Does anyone know why they did it that way? Wouldn't they have been better to just view his Facebook (or whatever) page, or serve a warrant on Facebook to have the messages retrieved from a server backup, if they have been deleted? Because any posts he made from another device (such as his missing phone) won't be on his hard drive if he never viewed them on there, will they?

I think the police can un delete emails and pictures on a computer ..the same with an iphone even if you delete them there is still a trace there.
    Forum Member

But but but David Tennants in it :D thats the only excuse I need....and like in the old days if you dont like a program find the remote and put something on that you do like...its just a thought :rolleyes:
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    I think he looks great, obv he is unwell in the programme but he looks great rough :)

Not just me then. :D
    No they had been on an extended holiday, she had brought back gifts. You don't do that on returning from maternity leave.

If she's only been off 3 weeks, then the Tennant character must have been transferred pretty quickly. I'm almost more interested in what he's done in his previous posting than in who killed the child, and not just because it's Tennant. :D

The psychic thing is intriguing, too.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught up with the last two episodes last night, and Im hooked. Im really enjoying it.
This discussion has been closed.