Freeview not so 'free'.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Hi,

A message keeps popping up on our TV informing us that our freesat card is coming to an end and to go to:

https://mysky.sky.com/replacecard/

for more info.

Rang them up and it seems that as they're changing their cards over we'll need to fork out another £20 to continue full "freesat" service.

Is this correct?

I wasn't aware that freesat wasn't for life :mad:.

Roll on 2012 when freeview finally arrives in my area so I can drop these shysters :mad:.

Comments

• TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is correct.

When Sky change the card you have to pay for a new one (but there is a limit to how often they'll charge you - they won't do it once a year, for example).

This card should last you until well beyond Freeview availability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    There are two distinct broadcast platforms

1. Freesat from Sky, this uses a sky box + a special viewing card that enables free to view channels, does need a new card in sky box every few years for FTV channels. not sure if picks up anything with no card though

2. BBC/ITV Freesat, this is a free to air program guide package that sits on top of a set of free to air channels, and no subscription or card is needed or possible, currently it contains all BBC channels + ITVx + Channel 4 & 5.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    And neither of which is the Freeview service misleadingly named in the thread title.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. Freesat from Sky, this uses a sky box + a special viewing card that enables free to view channels, does need a new card in sky box every few years for FTV channels. not sure if picks up anything with no card though

2. BBC/ITV Freesat, this is a free to air program guide package that sits on top of a set of free to air channels, and no subscription or card is needed or possible, currently it contains all BBC channels + ITVx + Channel 4 & 5.

I have a Freesat HD PVR downstairs (nice) and Free Sat From $ky (FSF$) upstairs. My old blue $ky card has finally been cancelled - I think we got it in 2002. Now we have no channel 5 (not even the option to for 105) no Sky 3, no Sky News and maybe others that are Free To View (FTV rather than Free To Air (FTA). I'm sure a quick google will bring up the FTV channels which are the only ones you need a card for (maybe only 5 or 6 in total). The worst point for me as I have never watched any of the FTV channels anyway is that you have lost the regional settings for BBC and ITV - they default to London and the midlands I think. You can find your local BBC1, mine is channel 975, but ITV is gone. I will not replace my card as I have my $ky+ stashed away with a new card waiting until they have stopped sending the stop record signal.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

FreesatFromSky with an expired card has exactly the same SD channels as BBC/ITV freesat BUT has virtually every channel on the EPG compared to the approx 140 only on the BBC/ITV version. A new card will give you Fiver, Five USA, Sky 3, Viva and LFC TV, none of which are available on the BBC/ITV freesat. The card is guaranteed to last at least 3 years (in practice the last ones worked for 5 years). Without any card in the box you will lose Five from the EPG but can manually add the channel to view it.

So basically your present setup will give you more than the BBC/ITV freesat unless you have an HD TV or require recording facilities free (but this version of box costs around £250).
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I have a Freesat HD PVR downstairs (nice) and Free Sat From $ky (FSF$) upstairs. My old blue $ky card has finally been cancelled - I think we got it in 2002. Now we have no channel 5 (not even the option to for 105) no Sky 3, no Sky News and maybe others that are Free To View (FTV rather than Free To Air (FTA).

That does not sound right. It sounds like your box has defaulted to the "no card" EPG.. Try powering down and restarting the box, and also try removing then re inserting the viewing card.

Sky have confirmed the old blue cards will be turned off at the end of the year, but they will still continue to regionalise the EPG "for the foreseeable future"

So you should still see the correct BBC, ITV etc regions and channel 5 should be listed, but might not be receivable. If not you will have to manually tune it with "add channels"

Sky news is free so does not need a card.

The only channels you will actually lose when your card expires are fiver, fiveUSA, sky 3 and Viva (and channel 4 HD if you have a HD box). You only NEED to buy a new card if you want to watch one of those. Those are not available on a freesat box as has already been stated.

And yes the thread title is misleading, freeview is the digital terrestrial service, but it seems like we are discussing a freesat from sky issue here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try removing the card ( gently clean it with a soft cloth) switch off the digigibox at the mains, re-inserting the card ( correctly) and then restarting the box.
    I have not heard of any FTV cards being switched off yet. In fact i have 4 digiboxes with various exsub cards in my place and none are even showing the replace card banner yet!!!
    it may just get the channels back.
    the Skyman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    Hi,

A message keeps popping up on our TV informing us that our freesat card is coming to an end and to go to:

https://mysky.sky.com/replacecard/

for more info.

Rang them up and it seems that as they're changing their cards over we'll need to fork out another £20 to continue full "freesat" service.

Is this correct?

I wasn't aware that freesat wasn't for life :mad:.

Roll on 2012 when freeview finally arrives in my area so I can drop these shysters :mad:.
    Just use the box without the card and it will be for life, the freesat card buys you very few extra channels, about 3 I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arirsole wrote: »
    Just use the box without the card and it will be for life, the freesat card buys you very few extra channels, about 3 I think.

For your information.....the FTV card gets Fiver and Fiver +1, Five USA and Five USA +1, sky3, Viva, LFC and it selects Channel 5 at 105 and Channel 4+1 at 135 although these two can be added/veiwed as 'other channels'.
    it also regionalises the box and allows you to use parental controls.
    the Skyman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    The Skyman wrote: »
    For your information.....the FTV card gets Fiver and Fiver +1, Five USA and Five USA +1, sky3, Viva, LFC and it selects Channel 5 at 105 and Channel 4+1 at 135 although these two can be added/veiwed as 'other channels'.
    it also regionalises the box and allows you to use parental controls.
    the Skyman
    Fiver, Five USA, and Sky3, about 3 I think.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arirsole wrote: »
    Fiver, Five USA, and Sky3, about 3 I think.

fiver, fiveUSA, sky3, Viva, LFC, (and channel 4 HD)

5 (or 6) I think, not counting the +1's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHANK0055 wrote: »

Is this correct?
    As far as I know, if you have had the card under 3 years, there is no charge for card replacement, over three years it is the £20 replacement charge.

Whether getting the correct region, Five and those few extra channels are worth it I suppose. Hope yours is under 3 years!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »

Thanks proDave...i could't be bothered to -re reply!!!
    The Skyman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    It often surprises me when people expect a commercial operator to give them something for free and when they don't they get very agitated.

The OP pays the BBC tax of £132 per year without complaint so why, when using Sky's distribution system to access some functionality/channels he can't get any other way does he complain about paying out £20 for 5 years when over the same period he will pay the BBC £660?

If he doesn't want the extra functionality the Sky card will give then he can continue using the Sky box without a card.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »

Are you sure Liverpool FC TV is FTV?

This is from the official Liverpool website;

LFC TV, the official club television channel, is currently completely free to watch for all UK and Ireland supporters who have either the basic Sky package or the XL package on Virgin Media.

Launched in September 2007, LFC TV was previously only available as part of the Setanta Sports Pack but following the Irish broadcaster entering into administration, the club have now made the channel available for free until further notice on Sky Channel 434 and Virgin Media channel 544
  • rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching 434 LFC,TV free for months and i Don't subscribe to Sky in anyway
    if i take my old blue/yellow sky card out of the digi box it asks to insert viewing card so it's FTV