Options

The Gadget Show - brought to you by Apple

124»

Comments

• Options
    VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Indeed marketing makes the consumer not want.
    Not marketing, just common sense.
    What a weird definition of 'no one' though.

No one that really matters to Apple. :p

What Apple is interested in is features that appeal to 90% of users. The whole trend in tech is toward simpler devices, simpler UIs. As I said it is as important what you leave out of a device as what you put in. There will always be a small subset of users who want everything, but the kitchen sink, thrown into a device. However, they are superfluos to the success of a product.
  • Options
    QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vallhund wrote: »
    • SD slot? No one Cares
    • removable battery? Would result in poorer performance.
    The ones at the bottom of the list may show up in iPad 2.

:eek: Really couldn't care more about these two. Ok I can probably tolerate sealed batteries but give me an SD card slot the things hardly have enough memory as it is.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    It's because Apple understands consumers and what they want, as well as what they need. Apple is also expert at knowing what to put into a product and what to leave out.

Interesting to note that the Financial Times has just named Apple CEO Steve Jobs as Person of the Year and MarketWatch has named him CEO of the Decade.

It's because Apple fanboys would by a turd if it carried the Apple logo and Steve Jobs approved it. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Apple and I do recognise that they have breathed life into previously stagnant areas of the technology market, but the products themselves are only 50% of the reason for that, the over the top hype their users generate over pretty much anything, plays almost as big a part.

The features currently revealed for OS X Lion (I'm aware there will be more later) are pretty unremarkable, but from the reactions of bloggers and vloggers in the apple usersphere (ranging from "game changing" and "it's the future of computers") you'd think they'd invented the hoverboard (what's been unveiled isn't even new, everything mentioned on the mini site that I can remember is already in linux, one of them has been for years).

Re the jealousy comment you agreed with earlier which appears to have been removed, it's not that at all, I can afford Apple products (admittedly only just in the recent financial climate), in fact I own a macbook, as can many Apple detractors (though I'm sure there are many who do so because they can't), I just fail to see what you and others see in them, there's very little that matters I can do on my macbook that I can't do in linux on my dual booting gaming PC, in most cases with more control, customisability and flexibility.

(With that last paragraph I refer mostly to their computers and OS, I haven't used an iPhone or an iPad so am not in a position to comment on them)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's because Apple fanboys would by a turd if it carried the Apple logo and Steve Jobs approved it.

"would by <sic> a turd."

I find that comment pretty insulting. If somebody uses a laptop mainly for games, email and browsing the iPad would suit them perfectly.

Most of the Apple products are tops in their class, so they are sensible buys for most people.

I like Apple products, but not all of them. Some of the others may suit others, but not me. Generally they are well designed and well thought of.

So please leave out the scatalogical references and treat other users with respect.
    I just fail to see what you and others see in them, there's very little that matters I can do on my macbook that I can't do in linux on my dual booting gaming PC, in most cases with more control, customisability and flexibility.

(With that last paragraph I refer mostly to their computers and OS, ...

Actually you don't know very much about the OS do you? You can pretty well do anything in Terminal that you can do in Linux. Also Apple computers are tops in usability.
    • Do they get Windows rot? no.
    • dll hell? no.
    • Registry problems? no.
    • Look like something circa 1981 from the Soviet Bloc? no

Service and support is superb. Apple computers have a 93% satisfaction rating while most of the OEM computers struggle to reach 50%.

Every tried using Scrivener 2 for a dissertation?

Every tried using KeyNote for a presentation or the hundreds of Mac only Apps that make a Mac a delight to use?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because Apple understands consumers and what they want, as well as what they need. Apple is also expert at knowing what to put into a product and what to leave out.

Interesting to note that the Financial Times has just named Apple CEO Steve Jobs as Person of the Year and MarketWatch has named him CEO of the Decade.

Thats rubbish, Apple don't know what consumers whan, they tell consumers what they want. The front facing camera being a big example, who was begging for that on their phone? Nobody, only the minority. Plus the fact that it runs on wifi only, it means that you could just use skype. Pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "would by <sic> a turd."

I find that comment pretty insulting. If somebody uses a laptop mainly for games, email and browsing the iPad would suit them perfectly.

It really wouldn't. The kind of games on a iPad do not compare to the ones on a PC. Maybe one of two do but if i wanted to play games/e-mail and browse i would simply stick with the laptop. Especially is i want to mod a game, very easy and straightforward. Games are the one thing that the iPad can not do properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RED_ wrote: »
    Thats rubbish, Apple don't know what consumers whan, they tell consumers what they want. The front facing camera being a big example, who was begging for that on their phone? Nobody, only the minority. Plus the fact that it runs on wifi only, it means that you could just use skype. Pointless.

What runs on wifi only? Just use skype for what?

Your post seems rather pointless.
    RED_ wrote: »
    It really wouldn't. The kind of games on a iPad do not compare to the ones on a PC. Maybe one of two do but if i wanted to play games/e-mail and browse i would simply stick with the laptop. Especially is i want to mod a game, very easy and straightforward. Games are the one thing that the iPad can not do properly.

Wrong again, it is a big gaming platform and one of the best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

Wrong. The iPad is only capable of being used with a certain sub-category of games-- ones which can be controlled entirely by a touch screen. That rules many genres out entirely, or at least makes them difficult to adapt to it.

Whilst many people (including myself) play games on iDevices, they are not a substitute for a true gaming platform, which in a portable device requires physical buttons as a touch-screen does not provide the necessary physical feedback to interact properly (a Bluetooth controller can circumvent this problem with those games which support it, but that further shows the problems of touch-screen only input for gaming).

For many games, the original Gameboy was a better option than something like an iPod touch in terms of playability, despite the tiny screen because it had real buttons that made interaction easy. I love my iPod touch, but I am well aware of its limitations, and the lack of physical keys for gaming is the major one there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do i need to spell it out? Front. Facing. Camera. Facetime maybe? Pretty straightforward.

One of the best gaming platforms? I cant debate with someone that believes that so i'll leave it there.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Tablets - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

Touchscreen phones - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

Hard-drive based MP3 players - not a new idea, not a new concept, Apple didn't think of it.

GUI operating systems - both MS and Apple stole this from Xerox.

Who is imitating Apple?

It is painfully obvious to all (except those with Apple-shaped rose tinted glasses) that the Gadget Show must receive backhanders from Apple. If Apple released a turd, it'd probably win gadget of the decade.

I'm sorry, folks like you are far from objective.

Face facts. Apple goes into a market where companies can't figure out how to impliment an idea and run away with it.

Tablets aren't new... But have you even bothered to ask the basic question of why the apple ipad succeeded when pc tablets failed for years? If what apple does is so simple, countless companies were just thumbing their nose at success for the years before the ipad! That is the kind of ludicrousness you have to believe in in order to bash apple.

There are legitimate criticisms of apple, but claiming they haven't done something special in these markets isn't one of them. They have been influencial with their design of things like the iphone, the ipod, the ipad like it or not. It seems damned obvious to make something like what apple makes AFTER they release their product, but that is how it always is isn't it.

You are the folks that claimed that within weeks, months competitors would beat the ipad to bits. Guess what happened, even now the competitors are found wanting, most use screens that are simply hideous to look at for a start. The so called competitor tablets like j00j00..where are they now? You don't even remember them.

Folks complaining about missing this or that feature. Yea I'm sure you bought a tablet pc when those were out, they had all those features. Yea....you didn't buy them did you... For every device there are folks that miss the point, it wasn't made for you. It is time to acknowledge there is a mass market of folks that don't spend all their time fiddling with their computers.

Listening to the most vocal customers/critics is not inherently good. It is like declaring film that has been created by commitee and focus group as the best.

As for apple not inventing the concepts from the start....
    you might as well piss on star wars because george lucas didn't invent science fiction.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SD slot? No one Cares

You're wrong there, with only a maximum of 64Gb storage in an iPad the lack of SD card storage is a deal-breaker for me - I looked at them as a comic and e-book reader but there's nowhere enough storage on it without being able to swap SD cards and although it looks good as an e-reader it's way to expensive just for that as it stands - add an SD card slot, increase internal storage to 128Gb and have a colour e-ink screen for 500 quid and I might get tempted.
    If somebody uses a laptop mainly for games, email and browsing the iPad would suit them perfectly.

You're joking right? The iPAD can play the games I play on a laptop like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights 2, Civilization V, Guild Wars? I don't think so,

I have a Touch with a few games and all its really suitable for are graphic adventures, card, puzzle and board games and simple action games (or drastically cut down versions of full games) and with the limitations of a touch screen I can't see the iPad being any better just a bigger screen - there's no way it could replace even a netbook for gaming let alone a decent laptop unless you only want simplistic games.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Ugh, how many people play balders gate on the go? Let alone how many people still play balders gate...your example is a game from 1998. Not much of an argument, most people don't play rpg's on the go, they don't have that kind of time or need. Playing an rpg on a cramped screen and keyboard of any smaller laptop of even remotely similar size to the ipad would be torturous anyways. Most folks play modern games the right way when they get home, in comfort, bigger screens, a mouse, or a control pad on a big monitor or hdtv, that is the right way for people who aren't acting like addicts. In a pinch they'll play angry birds for 5 minutes as a quick and convenient time waster when there is a gap in their schedule. Playing balders gate for hours on a laptop somewhere is almost no ones idea of fun.

People that get it get it for what it is and use it for that purpose. They do not expect an everything device that does everything poorly because they don't have to resort to such usage. There is a tool and time and place for a job to be done right. Playing balders gate on the go is one example of what can be done, but probably shouldn't. Criticisms based on such compromised usage are missing the point entirely.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think that iPad 2 might just be a 5.7" IOS colour e-reader?
    With the Mirasol screen maybe. Another miracle will just adds to the glamour.

I just can't quite see Apple boosting the current CPU 250% to Tegra 2 standards and reducing the iPad 1 price dramatically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else think that iPad 2 might just be a 5.7" IOS colour e-reader?

No way.
    With the Mirasol screen maybe. Another miracle will just adds to the glamour.
    Perhaps. Looks promising.
    I just can't quite see Apple boosting the current CPU 250% to Tegra 2 standards and reducing the iPad 1 price dramatically.

No
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Ugh, how many people play balders gate on the go? Let alone how many people still play balders gate...your example is a game from 1998. Not much of an argument, most people don't play rpg's on the go, they don't have that kind of time or need. Playing an rpg on a cramped screen and keyboard of any smaller laptop of even remotely similar size to the ipad would be torturous anyways. Most folks play modern games the right way when they get home, in comfort, bigger screens, a mouse, or a control pad on a big monitor or hdtv, that is the right way for people who aren't acting like addicts. In a pinch they'll play angry birds for 5 minutes as a quick and convenient time waster when there is a gap in their schedule. Playing balders gate for hours on a laptop somewhere is almost no ones idea of fun.

People that get it get it for what it is and use it for that purpose. They do not expect an everything device that does everything poorly because they don't have to resort to such usage. There is a tool and time and place for a job to be done right. Playing balders gate on the go is one example of what can be done, but probably shouldn't. Criticisms based on such compromised usage are missing the point entirely.

Well I still play BG and the others on my laptop - just rebought them from GOG in their sale cheap and running on Win7, but I was using it as an example from my point of view, I expect there's hundreds of games people like playing on their laptops that aren't suited to or availavle on an iPad so disproving the point made that its an ideal replacement to a laptop for games.

If your point about only playing quick games for 5 mins is true, then why are there (albit cut down versions) of Football Manager and Civilization Revolutions on the iPAD? two of the most time consuming games ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    Let's see it can be used for writing, doing presentations, emails, web browsing, applications, consuming media, e-reader.

Not really a toy in any way. Time to think out of the box. :rolleyes:

Just because it can be used for those things, doesn't mean it should be. I can do all those things on my old Psion, doesn't mean I should chuck my iPhone in the bin. Besides the writing and presentations, the rest can be done easily and more conveniently on a modern smartphone, or are luxuries that no-one really needs.

I would also suggest that 95% of the apps on the iPad can be done over the web (a large number have already been ported straight over to the Chrome app store) and thus the fact that they are on the iPad is a total irrelevance. These new slate devices (they're not tablets, they have no pen input and don't run full operating systems) are presently nothing more than a luxury that no-one really needs - but if you can find me someone who's only way of accessing the web and creating content is through the iPad, I'll take that back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, folks like you are far from objective.

Face facts. Apple goes into a market where companies can't figure out how to impliment an idea and run away with it.

Tablets aren't new... But have you even bothered to ask the basic question of why the apple ipad succeeded when pc tablets failed for years? If what apple does is so simple, countless companies were just thumbing their nose at success for the years before the ipad! That is the kind of ludicrousness you have to believe in in order to bash apple.

There are legitimate criticisms of apple, but claiming they haven't done something special in these markets isn't one of them. They have been influencial with their design of things like the iphone, the ipod, the ipad like it or not. It seems damned obvious to make something like what apple makes AFTER they release their product, but that is how it always is isn't it.

You are the folks that claimed that within weeks, months competitors would beat the ipad to bits. Guess what happened, even now the competitors are found wanting, most use screens that are simply hideous to look at for a start. The so called competitor tablets like j00j00..where are they now? You don't even remember them.

Folks complaining about missing this or that feature. Yea I'm sure you bought a tablet pc when those were out, they had all those features. Yea....you didn't buy them did you... For every device there are folks that miss the point, it wasn't made for you. It is time to acknowledge there is a mass market of folks that don't spend all their time fiddling with their computers.

Listening to the most vocal customers/critics is not inherently good. It is like declaring film that has been created by commitee and focus group as the best.

you might as well piss on star wars because george lucas didn't invent science fiction.

Great post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KAC wrote: »
    Great post.

Fantastic Post! :D
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't think that touchscreens are not new things as my first contract mobile phone with 3 was a Motorola and it was a touch screen to do everything.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic Post! :D

Yes but full of grammatical errors which you failed to point out.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

George Lucas never claimed he did - in fact he freely admits Star Wars was inspired/based on The Hidden Fortress by Akira Kurosawa and Star Wars wasen't even George's first Sci-Fi film as he made THX 1138 in 1970;)