Options

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Comments

• Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can he show he does magic...if he doesn't do any magic? :confused:

True, he did at the end of the episode but his attiude before doesn't make sense. If this world was real and someone came up to me and said 'Hello, I'm a magician' without casting any magic, I wouldn't take said person seriously even if s/he had brought statues in York Cathedral to life.

I do get what you mean. The start of the book gives far more insight into his personality than the first episode. He's bought up almost every magic book to prevent them falling into the hands of others and loves to be thought of as the only true expert on the subject (to the point of boring listeners). His self importance perhaps didn't come over as strongly as it could have. His attitude is not reasonable because he's lived as a recluse and is guided by his manservant, whilst battling against him at the same time because of that self importance.
  • Options
    madri_lenomadri_leno Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it... looking forward to next week....
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously some people are not made of the tough stuff you need to post in the Cult or DW forums.

Though I always wear my flak jacket over my anorak when I'm posting on DW.

I'm not tough me. I may seem like it online given my 'online reputation' (seriously, people TALK about me on Twitter. Mad, I tell you.) but in real life, I'm actually a wimp.
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can he show he does magic...if he doesn't do any magic? :confused:

True, he did at the end of the episode but his attiude before doesn't make sense. If this world was real and someone came up to me and said 'Hello, I'm a magician' without casting any magic, I wouldn't take said person seriously even if s/he had brought statues in York Cathedral to life.

The whole point of the character is he is flawed and too proud and self-obsessed for his own good. He's not meant to be a hero.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    The whole point of the character is he is flawed and too proud and self-obsessed for his own good. He's not meant to be a hero.

He may not be a hero in the traditional sense but all media has a hero (otherwise known as the protagonist) according to Vladimir Propp. Mr Norrell is the only one who fulfills that role.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A protagonist doesn't mean they have to be a hero. It can also simply mean a central or main character integral to the plot.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He may not be a hero in the traditional sense but all media has a hero (otherwise known as the protagonist) according to Vladimir Propp. Mr Norrell is the only one who fulfills that role.

Except for Jonathan Strange. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except for Jonathan Strange. :)

He hasn't been in it enough to be the protagonist. Besides, it is clear Mr Norrell is the main character.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hasn't been in it enough to be the protagonist. Besides, it is clear Mr Norrell is the main character.

The title of the book is Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell which should tell you that the story revolves around both of them.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the book rather hard going, so I gave up, and I do not say that very often.
    The TV adaptation was far more condensed, rather like the difference between watching Moby Dick (1956) and reading the novel it is based on.
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this and in a way it also reminded me of Gormenghast but I loved Gormenghast and at the moment am not so sure of this one. It is not colourful literally and metaphorically as Gormenghast was and there are no charismatic characters so far and nothing to wind me in. Mr Norrell was slightly pompous and somewhat boring. There was no excitement in magic for him only his beloved books. I am hoping that Jonathan Strange may have a bit more life about him.

The only character at the moment that seemed to have promise is the Fairy. I will watch next week and give it another try.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful watched about 15 min of it
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreadful watched about 15 min of it

Oh, dear, so you missed the bit where......but you'll never know. :(
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From reviews and previews, episode two is a good'un,
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, dear, so you missed the bit where......but you'll never know. :(

I saw it few mins or so past when statues can alive and could not care less what happens next:)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He should have trimmed his eyebrows while he was at it.
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or is the audio a bit off. At some points it's not clear what's being said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or is the audio a bit off. At some points it's not clear what's being said.

It does sounds rather muffled but that's the BBC for you. You usually have to pump up the volume.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could see electric spotlights shining in this scene when he walked though the magic door.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sound is fine for us (not watching in HD or anything). :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sound is fine for us (not watching in HD or anything). :)

I think that's the problem. The sound is always dodgy on BBC HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that Tom Hardys wife?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's the problem. The sound is always dodgy on BBC HD.

Funny, but I got that impression and that's why I mentioned it. I'm actually watching on a laptop! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny, but I got that impression and that's why I mentioned it. I'm actually watching on a laptop! :D

:o I didn't realise you could watch BBC live on a laptop. Just checked iPlayer and it's a couple of minutes behind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Charlotte Riley is Tom Hardy's wife.