Cyberbully

Comments

• owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    but it would have added to the suspense
    I was hoping the twist ending would be that the girl faked her suicide and was doing it to the girl to teach her a lesson
    but that would have been implausible

You want suspense and twists in life?

Live longer and you'll find it happens despite your wishes.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been said already but it was like a very modern version of 'An Inspector Calls.'

You won't often hear literary references from me but that was one of the books we read in English class at school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Would be nice if she said "Valar Morghulis" :D

Or got a "Needle" and stuck the hacker with the pointy end. All jokes aside, I thought it was very very good, Maisie Williams is an amazing actress for someone so young.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping the twist ending would be that the girl faked her suicide and was doing it to the girl to teach her a lesson
    Sometimes it's better to q
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're all wrong and I hope you all.... oh, hang on.... no, I love you all, I'll never cyber-bully again ;-)

Great show, I hope Maisie wins many awards for this.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Yes but the most simple point was and is the most Important, with cyber bullying the bullying can only continue if you ALLOW yourself to have a relationship with Them online? Ignoring a person online is the ultimate power you have over them. A person talking without any response is just talking to themselves & will eventually get bored & give up.
    The ultimate answer to any cyber bully is to ignore them.

While that is an important point and should be stressed, the equally important point this film raised is how easy it can be to become a cyber bully. Joking with friends, poking a little bit of "fun", leaving a comment to show how cool and snarky you are without ever really thinking of the impact that might have on the person behind the screen.

I think this film could open a lot of dialogues between parents and children, within schools etc, not only to say "if you find yourself being bullied online, there are steps you can take" but also, and arguably more importantly "see how easy it is to slip into bullying behaviour online, even when you don't mean to - is this the kind of person you want to be, is this the kind of thing you want on your conscience?"

And yes, echo everyone who has said Maisie Williams's performance was a tour de force.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see it, and I know that I will get a load of "watch it for yourself comments" but before I do, would anyone that's seen it recommend it for a 13 year old? I told my daughter about it last night and she has apparently done masses about online safety at school.
    I am very and I hate this phase but internet savvy as I have had, and used the internet for 18 years at home and probably fallen into more traps as a teenager than my own children. I am very aware of the dangers of the internet and I like to caution my kids about what they share and their prescence on the net. However, I would like to add to this and thought this programme may help. Reading the comments I haven't been able to judge whether it is something that is suitable. Did anyone find it distressing or feel it could put ideas into someone's head? Is there anything that would be unsuitable for a 13 year old who let's face it does go on the internet so probably isn't shocked by many things.
    Sorry for the ramble, I don't personally want to watch it, it isn't really my thing, if I did watch it would I be able to gauge the tone in 10 mins?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    Wonder if the hacker did same to Jeniffer Li two weeks early??
    I think it was implied, yes. Casey spotted that the hacker's 'handle' was the other person who had been trolling Jennifer when ChronicYouth (Casey) had been. The script seemed to imply the hacker was a serial killer of a sort, forcing victims to suicide by psychological torture and blackmail.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Ladyxxmacbeth I think it's something all thirteen year-olds should watch, though there is a lot of swearing in it, the F word used quite a bit, but I'm sure most thirteen year-olds have heard the word many times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see it, and I know that I will get a load of "watch it for yourself comments" but before I do, would anyone that's seen it recommend it for a 13 year old? I told my daughter about it last night and she has apparently done masses about online safety at school.
    I am very and I hate this phase but internet savvy as I have had, and used the internet for 18 years at home and probably fallen into more traps as a teenager than my own children. I am very aware of the dangers of the internet and I like to caution my kids about what they share and their prescence on the net. However, I would like to add to this and thought this programme may help. Reading the comments I haven't been able to judge whether it is something that is suitable. Did anyone find it distressing or feel it could put ideas into someone's head? Is there anything that would be unsuitable for a 13 year old who let's face it does go on the internet so probably isn't shocked by many things.
    Sorry for the ramble, I don't personally want to watch it, it isn't really my thing, if I did watch it would I be able to gauge the tone in 10 mins?
    I'd say it ramps up as it goes, so the first ten minutes aren't a real representation of how it plays out the whole way through. I can't imagine it would push any child towards cyberbullying - it's very clear about the consequences it can have and the effect being cyberbullied has on Casey, even over a short period, is obvious and frankly pretty horrible. It's also quite clever about showing how innocent but impolite or thoughtless acts can accumulate into cyberbullying, even if that wasn't the overt intention. In that sense, it's a very good show to present to younger teenagers. If I'd seen that when I was 13, even though it's obviously fiction, I'd have become much more circumspect about what I said on and uploaded to the internet.

However it's incredibly tense at times, there is a fair amount of bad language and a couple of fairly adult concepts - you might have to explain to your 13 year old what 'erectile dysfunction' is for example, if they don't already know. If you're able to deal with your 13 year old hearing those kinds of things, then it would probably be valuable to let her watch it. But if that sort of stuff is still something you think she's not ready for, sadly, I'd have to suggest not.

I think it would actually be a really good idea if they did a 'PG' version of it - with some dialog edits and couple of slight changes in plot it could be done - to show as an educational tool.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I'd say it ramps up as it goes, so the first ten minutes aren't a real representation of how it plays out the whole way through. I can't imagine it would push any child towards cyberbullying - it's very clear about the consequences it can have and the effect being cyberbullied has on Casey, even over a short period, is obvious and frankly pretty horrible. It's also quite clever about showing how innocent but impolite or thoughtless acts can accumulate into cyberbullying, even if that wasn't the overt intention. In that sense, it's a very good show to present to younger teenagers. If I'd seen that when I was 13, even though it's obviously fiction, I'd have become much more circumspect about what I said on and uploaded to the internet.

However it's incredibly tense at times, there is a fair amount of bad language and a couple of fairly adult concepts - you might have to explain to your 13 year old what 'erectile dysfunction' is for example, if they don't already know. If you're able to deal with your 13 year old hearing those kinds of things, then it would probably be valuable to let her watch it. But if that sort of stuff is still something you think she's not ready for, sadly, I'd have to suggest not.

I think it would actually be a really good idea if they did a 'PG' version of it - with some dialog edits and couple of slight changes in plot it could be done - to show as an educational tool.

Thanks. I'm not too bothered about swearing (my kids have heard me when I'm driving!) I think I'll give it a miss, which is a shame, but she is only just 13. From what I can gather it is more about being a cyberbully without realising it more than the cyberbully themselves. We have these conversations already in our house like I say they do a lot in schools nowadays also.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been said already but it was like a very modern version of 'An Inspector Calls.'

You won't often hear literary references from me but that was one of the books we read in English class at school.

I thought there were shades of the film Phone Booth in it as well. Maisie Williams gave a great performance.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant and should be put on schools curriculum
    I think Maisie is an amazing actress
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    It is very good as watch it 2nd time on 4OD.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this repeated at any time ?
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
  • King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was very good, and Maisie did very well indeed.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think its a good programme for any teenager who has access to the internet to watch so yes, I would say let your daughter watch it
  • daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Love the thread. why not "out" all the hypocritical do-gooders on Facebook also
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member

The Jennifer Li suicide was partly based on the Suicide of Amanda Todd who was also of Asian origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Amanda_Todd

There is a trust set up in Canada to prevent similar suicides.
  • OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Before they revealed that har har was the clue to the hacker, it was really bugging me that they kept using har har because I have never seen anyone spell it like that and it made it seem less authentic. Then I realised it was a massive part of the plot!

Also is it possible that someone could hack social media that way?? That freaked me out at the start.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant and Great Peice of tv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oml wrote: »
    Before they revealed that har har was the clue to the hacker, it was really bugging me that they kept using har har because I have never seen anyone spell it like that and it made it seem less authentic. Then I realised it was a massive part of the plot!

Also is it possible that someone could hack social media that way?? That freaked me out at the start.

I spell the word Ha ha as Har Har
  • OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I spell the word Ha ha as Har Har

So it was you then!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oml wrote: »
    So it was you then!!!!

Oh blast :D