Radio Caroline on national DAB? Could it happen?

2»

Comments

• LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought.

Once the current stations move to SDL do you think Radio Caroline might pop up nationally? I,for one,would love this to happen BUT I know there is a huge cost involved but RC also seem to find a way....
    This isn't a criticism of the station it would be good to have it there but in all seriousness I cannot see where the finance would come from to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the fascination with Radio Caroline going national? On occassions they broadcast on Manx Radio as Caroline North, but they are doing so as a 60's station. nThe current station is not the same, apart from the name.
    I think you need to remember that Radio Caroline is in effect now two distinct sounding stations from that organisation. Caroline Flashback and the Standard Service. If, and let's assume for arguments sake that somehow it found the finance to do it, Which service would it put on DAB or would/could it be a bit of an amalgam of the two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    Plus the fact that Radio Caroline will NEVER EVER be on DAB.
    EVER.

EVER EVER...
    But it is already on DAB, just not national DAB, so never, never, never is a bit wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    989 wrote: »
    Caroline is already on DAB in Aldershot, Norwich, Portsmouth and Glasgow.
    Well pointed out. Not sadly being in any of those areas does it put the standard service out on DAB or Flashback or a mix ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the Radio Caroline management (using that term very loosely) get approached by some rich Arabian oil Sheik that just happens to be a radio fanatic, or one if them gets a huge lottery win, the chances of Radio Caroline getting a permanent slot on a national DAB multiplex are very slim to non-existent.
    When I win the top lottery prize. I will certainly buy them a few years on DAB if it's really only £70k carriage costs.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry Caroline fans but what's the point. Caroline is dead and buried in the radio archives and your memories, yes the tribute station does a great job but with so many "gold" style stations around just giving it the name doesn't re launch it. I've listened recently to RNI and its fun but there isn't a Stevie Merrick on board this one either. Just remember the good times and the radio pioneers who sadly are now few and far between and console yourselves that we certainly had less but more radio back in the 60s.
  • number6number6 Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeeBoy19 wrote: »
    Well pointed out. Not sadly being in any of those areas does it put the standard service out on DAB or Flashback or a mix ?

It's the Standard album service.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeeBoy19 wrote: »
    When I win the top lottery prize......

I'll be your best mate :D
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    I'm sorry Caroline fans but what's the point. Caroline is dead and buried in the radio archives and your memories, yes the tribute station does a great job but with so many "gold" style stations around just giving it the name doesn't re launch it. I've listened recently to RNI and its fun but there isn't a Stevie Merrick on board this one either. Just remember the good times and the radio pioneers who sadly are now few and far between and console yourselves that we certainly had less but more radio back in the 60s.

So why bother posting ?
    There are an awful lot of people who don't share your views --- me for one --- who say that Radio Caroline is FAR from "dead and buried" as you put it .
    You enjoy RNI ---- so listen to RNI --- I don't care ....
    Have a good life ......
    Regards
  • ProjectionistProjectionist Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oscar1 wrote: »
    So why bother posting ?
    There are an awful lot of people who don't share your views --- me for one --- who say that Radio Caroline is FAR from "dead and buried" as you put it .
    You enjoy RNI ---- so listen to RNI --- I don't care ....
    Have a good life ......
    Regards

Yes, Caroline is the original survivor - I cannot understand why some oppose it, it does no harm, & perhaps some good.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Caroline is the original survivor - I cannot understand why some oppose it, it does no harm, & perhaps some good.
    But you're living 50 years ago, when I was offshore too. But I realise it was a great time which cannot be recreated! It's not a survivor. It is nothing like the original 1960s station, and even if it was todays youngsters wouldnt listen, it would be 60s and 70s folk who would reminisce!
    Forum Member
    But you're living 50 years ago, when I was offshore too. But I realise it was a great time which cannot be recreated! It's not a survivor. It is nothing like the original 1960s station, and even if it was todays youngsters wouldnt listen, it would be 60s and 70s folk who would reminisce!

Really ? Why not ?
    I know a number of friend's "youngsters" who share the same music interests as their parents when I am invited to their houses for parties ,meals etc.
    When asked why they have chosen to play the likes of the Beatles.Stones,The Who and other,s they comment that the music they are subjected to today is chronic compared to the music their parents enjoyed.
    Some, in their words, "crave something entirely different" ......
    Regards
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oscar1 wrote: »
    Really ? Why not ?
    I know a number of friend's "youngsters" who share the same music interests as their parents when I am invited to their houses for parties ,meals etc.
    When asked why they have chosen to play the likes of the Beatles.Stones,The Who and other,s they comment that the music they are subjected to today is chronic compared to the music their parents enjoyed.
    Some, in their words, "crave something entirely different" ......
    Regards

You've just described me (well maybe youngster is pushing it these days :(). I'm in my mid 30"s and 90% of the music I like was released before I was born. I know plenty of other people my age and younger that much prefer 60's/70's stuff. I actually like some 50's stuff as well. Think I was born a few decades too late :D

I've got nieces and nephews aged 8 to 19 that all love 60's, 70's and 80's stuff. It doesn't really matter how old you are, if something is good, it's good.
  • ProjectionistProjectionist Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps it is also the fact that Caroline is NOT laced with propaganda - from "The powers that be, or whatever" Just try BBC radio 2 between 1 & 2 pm to see what I mean.
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    . It doesn't really matter how old you are, if something is good, it's good.
    Spot on ......
    Regards