Has Dave honestly said gay marriages were immoral?

nerf666nerf666 Posts: 9,029
Forum Member
I remember his convo with Josie where he said he wouldn't marry gay couples but on the highlights show, in some HM's nomination reasons, a few stated Dave had said "gay marriages were immoral". Can anyone confirm or deny this? I missed a few days of h/l so its possible i've not observed it but seeing as there hasn't been a forum meltdown I'm not so sure!

He said previously he had no problems with homosexual couples but personally he wouldn't marry them as its against his religion, don't think I heard the word morals :confused:

Did I miss something?

There's a very pertinent difference here, if Dave's fine with secular marriage and not 'religious marriage' then I cant see his attitude as homophobic, I'd put it down to dogma. But if, as I interpreted from the highlights, he has spoken again on gay marriage and said the idea of a gay couple is immoral, then I think that's pretty offensive - in which case I shall be voting him out, what a twerp :mad::mad:... Anyway just to repeat my point, did I miss something, has Dave spoken again on gay marriages? Or was it just his old conversation about him not marrying gay couples?

Comments

• zofozofo Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    As far as I know he hasn't spoken again of it or been questioned on it. Personally, I would like him to answer your question too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if he said immoral, but wasn't there a convo around the pool early on where he said he didn't agree with it but very quickly said he didn't want to go into it?

If he disagrees with it due to religious reasons then whatever, each to their own - but what annoyed me was how he said it and to then think it OK to not justify or qualify his position?? I find that offensive and very arrogant to assume he has the right to judge how people like me should live and what rights we should have. That would earn him my nom anyways!

/rant :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I think its all from the same conversation, he said something like the bible says it is immoral and he believes the scripture of the bible
  • aaaaahukenaaaaahuken Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may seem that he has added to the perfectly honest and unoffensive answer he gave when questioned by Josie last week, but I really don't think he has.

It seems he was nominated for what he said last week, as far as I'm aware, which was piss poor of Josie and Ife.

He NEVER mentioned the word immoral. We must also remember how mischievous Josie was being at the time. She knew there were gay housemates within ear shot.
  • nerf666nerf666 Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    aaaaahuken wrote: »
    It may seem that he has added to the perfectly honest and unoffensive answer he gave when questioned by Josie last week, but I really don't think he has.

It seems he was nominated for what he said last week, as far as I'm aware, which was piss poor of Josie and Ife.

That's what made me do a double take, as that happened last week - perhaps it was more a case of them struggling to nominate ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nerf666 wrote: »
    That's what made me do a double take, as that happened last week - perhaps it was more a case of them struggling to nominate ?

I think so. Quite poor of Josie, though, when she practically pulled it out of him. I thought Dave was almost as tactfull as he could possibly have been. I'd have given her short shrift.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Josie asked him in the first week he was not keen to talk about as I guess he knows it is dodgy ground. He basically said that the bible did not condone gay relationships so therefore he would not bless their union. He basically think homosexuality is wrong as it is says in the bible you shall not lay with another man bit. All happy clappys have the "love the person hate the sin" crap. He basically said that in a round about way when he kept saying he loved mario. I know it is funny what he is saying is pretty appalling but I want Govan out first as he will not go up next week without Dave's vote and Dave will be up next week and can go then
  • BafarBafar Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aaaaahuken wrote: »

He NEVER mentioned the word immoral. We must also remember how mischievous Josie was being at the time. She knew there were gay housemates within ear shot.
    Did he not say in his view according to scripture in the eyes of god gay marriage is immoral? Could of sworn he did. Either way its symantics what words he actually used, thats what he thinks.
  • 027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember him saying he didn't agree with gay marriage, but not that they're immoral. That's two completely different things. Unless my memory is bad or it happened but we haven't seen it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From an article about the Day 6 incident. I've not heard it mentioned since.

Josie asks Dave if he would marry Ben and Mario. Dave says that he would not. "I'm not judgemental regarding it you know, I believe that Jesus loves everyone, but it's not something that I personally would be happy (to do)."

Dave says he doesn't want to get into it because it's a controversial topic, goes on to say "my interpretation of the scripture shows me clearly that in the sight of god homosexuality is wrong." Mario says he doesn't want to get married anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    027huds wrote: »
    I remember him saying he didn't agree with gay marriage, but not that they're immoral. That's two completely different things. Unless my memory is bad or it happened but we haven't seen it?

This seems likely as more people (well, Ife) have said it than just Josie who used that reason to nominate him twice now.

There hasn't been much mention of his religion on the HLs and he gets his Bible everyday so that seems like an obvious conversation piece, no? (Don't watch LF so maybe I am completely off?)
    Forum Member
    027huds wrote: »

Yep, exactly why I made this thread, right now I'm 50:50 on Dave but this will significantly affect his chances with me :eek::mad::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    I thought he did the best he could with the question. He's committed to scriptures which he interprets as telling him homosexuality is not countenanced, yet God loves all his children equally. That's a contradiction already. I don't know how traditional or radical or indeed spurious his ministry is, but shouldn't he be allowed to hold that broad view? Is it automatically a gay bashing hate crime? Would he ever even discriminate against someone on account of who they happened to fancy? I think he's a nob, but I reckon not.

I don't believe in marriage at all, so them gays are well out of it. ;)
    Forum Member
    YesNoMan wrote: »
    Is it automatically a gay bashing hate crime?

Alot of Christians I know are for secular gay marriages but against 'religious' gay marriages, don't think its gay bashing, more a strict adherence to the text.
  • ZuttoZutto Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is though, you can't just disagree with something and then say "it's because of my religion". PLENTY of people are Christians and they fully believe that homosexuals are just as entitled to marry as any other couple, and really if you strictly follow the teachings of Jesus then in my mind you would have no problem with homosexuals marrying. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that homosexuality as a sin is in the Old Testament, not the New Testament, and surely the teachings of Jesus imply that homosexuals should be equal to everybody else. Indeed, the pastor and philosopher Joseph Fletcher created his popular situational ethics theory on Christ's teaching that love for your fellow man is paramount; "love thy neighbour" above all else.

For Dave to say it is against his religion is something of a copout. If you do not think homosexuality is wrong then why would you absorb and teach a scripture that says that it is? In my view, by saying that he would not marry homosexuals, he is insinuating that homosexuality is in some way wrong, so essentially he is homophobic. Sure, he gets on with Mario well, but that doesn't mean to say that ultimately he thinks Mario's sexuality is wrong.
  • SyrosSyros Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    ...has Dave spoken again on gay marriages? Or was it just his old conversation about him not marrying gay couples?

What difference does it make?

His religion is condemning everyone they label a sinner, or any non believer in eternal damnation.

However he wants to nit pick the tenets of his religion, and however he wants to avoid admitting in public that Mario, for example, will burn in Dave's Christian hell forever, it doesn't make much sense to focus on lesser details.

His religion is anti-social and sadistic at its core. Who cares if he thinks same sex marriage is moral or not?
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bafar wrote: »
    Did he not say in his view according to scripture in the eyes of god gay marriage is immoral? Could of sworn he did. Either way its symantics what words he actually used, thats what he thinks.

he did mention the scriptures and something about in Gods eyes and God loves everyone but obivously not gays!

Why shouldn't Joise mention it as a reason to nom. It obviouslyy annoyed her and it's not like Dave will have changed his mind about that in a week. It's not like it was something Dave or said that he wouldn't normally say or do. I think she had a totally justifiable reason to nom him again on this - as she doesn't agree with him and doesn't like it!
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was the same conversation as before, then no he didnt. But Im unsure if he spoke about it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    Alot of Christians I know are for secular gay marriages but against 'religious' gay marriages, don't think its gay bashing, more a strict adherence to the text.
    If only I believed they strictly adhered to their text in all other departments, y'know? If not, then we're dealing with their own personal prejudices, or their own personal sins if they like. It's a knotty one, and thanks for the unignorable thread. I'm a Josie fan but I thought her (and someone else's, I forget) nomination of Dave on the basis of the gay marriage conversation was cowardly. Just say you're nominating him because he's a nob. for ..erm.. Christ's sake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zutto wrote: »
    For Dave to say it is against his religion is something of a copout. If you do not think homosexuality is wrong then why would you absorb and teach a scripture that says that it is? In my view, by saying that he would not marry homosexuals, he is insinuating that homosexuality is in some way wrong, so essentially he is homophobic. Sure, he gets on with Mario well, but that doesn't mean to say that ultimately he thinks Mario's sexuality is wrong.

He is homophobic. He said (I posted above, but these are the pertinent words):

"my interpretation of the scripture shows me clearly that in the sight of god homosexuality is wrong."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank the lord no muslims were put in the house, eh? It'd of been ****ing target practice for the housemates that wanted to ruin them.
    Forum Member
    If only I believed they strictly adhered to their text in all other departments, y'know? If not, then we're dealing with their own personal prejudices, or their own personal sins if they like. It's a knotty one, and thanks for the thread. I'm a Josie fan but I thought her (and someone else's, I forget) nomination of Dave on the basis of the gay marriage conversation was cowardly. Say he's a nob for ..erm.. Christ's sake.

Yeah, well I really didn't want to get into a religious debate about gay marriages (personally i'm agnostic so i couldn't give a flying fck) I thought I missed something, seems to me from the response I didnt.

About Josie, I'm thinking more along the lines that she is struggling to nom anyone and so is picking poor reasons.Historically, the early noms tend to be pretty sketchy.
  • ZuttoZutto Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yidaho wrote: »
    He is homophobic. He said (I posted above, but these are the pertinent words):

"my interpretation of the scripture shows me clearly that in the sight of god homosexuality is wrong."
    well there we go then. You cannot use religion to justify a belief, his scripture may tell him it is wrong but if he can't think for himself and realise that it isn't then he's just as bad as any non-religious homophobe
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,648
    Forum Member
    He was asked if he would marry a same-sex couple and he said he wouldn't. Regardless of his own views, he would not be allowed to do so by the Church.
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only I believed they strictly adhered to their text in all other departments, y'know? If not, then we're dealing with their own personal prejudices, or their own personal sins if they like. It's a knotty one, and thanks for the unignorable thread. I'm a Josie fan but I thought her (and someone else's, I forget) nomination of Dave on the basis of the gay marriage conversation was cowardly. Just say you're nominating him because he's a nob. for ..erm.. Christ's sake.

Exactly they all want him out for many reasons, I feel some are usuing this as a way to not go into other factors they dislike about him. Also it will appear beneficial in the eyes of the public.