RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 confirmed for Freeview NI from 2011

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Well if NI can find room for 3 foreign channels on Freeview it would be nice if the rest of the UK could. Be nice to have say some German or French channels in London.

You've got to remember that a substantial proportion of the population in NI do not see ROI as a foreign country and therefore do not view these channls as foreign. As I pointed out earlier ROI channels are viewed widely here in NI via analogue transmitters across the border and this includes many homes in so-called unionist areas as well as nationalist. Also RTE/TG4 are available on both Sky and Virgin here in NI so showing the uniqueness of the position we find ourselves in. In fact we tend to have the best of both worlds here - getting ROI channels as well as UK ones.
  • marcltmarclt Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    rapido wrote: »
    That's the realms of fantasy, to be honest.

The rights would cost maybe 20 times more, and the advertising revenue wouldn't be "proportionally greater" as I can't imagine many GB companies would be interested in advertising on an Irish channel as they would have very few GB viewers compared to most UK channels.

-rapido

It doesn't stop national advertising on other niche/ethnic minority channels... of all the channels available on Sky - I can't imagine many getting huge viewing figures...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marclt wrote: »
    It doesn't stop national advertising on other niche/ethnic minority channels... of all the channels available on Sky - I can't imagine many getting huge viewing figures...

Err... since when are RTE1 and Network 2 considered "niche/ethnic minority" channels?

They are 2 of the main general entertainment channels in Ireland.

So it's a completely different argument.

-rapido
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look forward to watching the BBC on DTT in the south. When will they be included on Saorview?

When Ireland repays all the money it just borrowed from the UK. :p
  • marcltmarclt Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Err... since when are RTE1 and Network 2 considered "niche/ethnic minority" channels?

-rapido

Well, yes I know that! But should a RTE International station broadcast in the UK, which would only show Irish material. So in terms of it's audience it would be niche. You couldn't class Tara as mass appeal?

There is a consultation underway on the proposed RTE digital offering, including RTE 2 HD, which will show the bulk of imported HD programming including sport.

With RTE's satellite service on a very tight beam, the intention is for no overspill into the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marclt wrote: »
    Well, yes I know that! But should a RTE International station broadcast in the UK, would only show Irish material. So in terms of it's audience it would be niche. You couldn't class Tara as mass appeal?

Ah well RTE International is a different matter of course, and the rights would not be a problem.

-rapido
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

-rapido

They're the main PSB channels, except with adverts. TV3 and TG4 I would say are commercial rather than PSB - am I right on this? :confused:
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're the main PSB channels, except with adverts. TV3 and TG4 I would say are commercial rather than PSB - am I right on this? :confused:

TG4 is Ireland's PSB version of S4C/BBC Alba for Gaelic speakers.

TV3 is Ireland's main commercial channel. ITV used to own a share of the channel.
  • Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to remember that a substantial proportion of the population in NI do not see ROI as a foreign country

Indeed, and even within the Unionist community. I certainly don't see the ROI as a foreign country, in the same way that I would view France or Germany.

and don't forget the number of RTE aerials in staunchly Loyalist/Unionist areas of Belfast. The Shankhill and the lower end of the Newtownards Roads are prime examples.

I would surmise that if RTE do come onto Freeview next year, it'll be a move that will be welcomed by a vast majority of viewers in NI

Yep, that would be about right.
    TV3 is Ireland's main commercial channel. ITV used to own a share of the channel.

I thought they were once partly owned by UTV, rather than ITV ?

TV3 can be tuned in under the "other channels" option on a Sky digibox but it's completely blocked for viewers throughout the UK, including NI. They do simulcast some ITV1programes. For example, Corrie and the X factor but by and large they have their own schedule
    Forum Member

Guess I was kinda right then. Never knew though that ITV used to own a share of TV3, is that why they show a lot of ITV shows?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I've overlaid (not entirely accurately, but good enough for my purposes) the predicted RTE coverage from the article, with Ofcom's NI transmitter map. The main bulk of the new coverage (red) seems to be coming from Divis. There is another area to the extreme NW, which is in the ROI so we will ignore :)

This looks like they might have found some spare spectrum for a single mux from Divis only. There are no red bits around the other existing DTT transmitters.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2z6w2s3.jpg
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is also this
    There are two agreements in place between the governments of the UK and the Republic of Ireland concerning the relay of Irish television services in Northern Ireland. The first is the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement of 10 April 1998. This committed the UK Government to exploring urgently the scope for achieving more widespread availability of Irish language television service TG4, in Northern Ireland. The second is the MOU on the reciprocal relay of television services, signed on 1 February 2010

3.16 Both governments wrote to their respective spectrum regulators (us in the UK, the Commission for Communications Regulation in the Republic) in May 2009 asking that the spectrum negotiations between the two countries aim to identify suitable interleaved spectrum whose preferred use would be the relay of an additional low-capacity, low-power DTT multiplex in Northern Ireland capable of carrying the three services RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and TG4 on the three Northern Ireland main transmitters. The UK Government has indicated it is minded to direct us for this purpose. Suitable spectrum would need to be identified and awarded in line with any such direction.

3.17 There are some uncertainties in realising such a multiplex. The technical feasibility and the quality of available interleaved spectrum have both yet to be established. Because of these and other uncertainties, the option of carrying TG4 on the Digital 3&4 PSB multiplex in Northern Ireland after DSO in 2012 is being held open by DCMS. It is anticipated that RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and TG4 will, in any event, continue to be available in Northern Ireland after DSO by overspill from transmitters in the Republic. The extent of predicted coverage for this overspill has yet to be established.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/600mhz_geographic/summary/600condoc.pdf

Blame it on the Ashes. I'm sitting here waiting for the Test Match to start with my new $S1 WMO subscription.
  • crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish RTE was available in the UK,as i love to keep up to date with all things Irish!i listen to RTE Radio 1 on 252 LW all day long!it has a strong presenter line-up.
    Forum Member
    I wish RTE was available in the UK,as i love to keep up to date with all things Irish!i listen to RTE Radio 1 on 252 LW all day long!it has a strong presenter line-up.

It might be yet! Anyone remember Tara TV? I used to watch it at my aunt's house.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    There is also TG4 currently broadcasting from Divis in analogue, no reason why that couldn't be converted to a digital mux.
  • BorisThe GreekBorisThe Greek Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    When Ireland repays all the money it just borrowed from the UK. :p

Smart arse comments like yours add nothing to any discussion. You fool.
  • reslfjreslfj Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    There is also TG4 currently broadcasting from Divis in analogue, no reason why that couldn't be converted to a digital mux.

Do you know the ERP and directional restrictions of channel 59 TG4 analogue from Divis ?

The new GE06 (Genava 2006) spectrum allocation was in principle done on white sheed of paper and has no bindings to the old ST61 analogue plan (Stockholm 1961)
    All ST61 allocations in band III,IV and V have no value after june 2015 and only GE06 allocations/allotments has any validity.

Now several administrations - including Ofcom - tried to get the same channels allocated for digital or at least get channels in the same aerial group as in ST61 analogue.

On the island of Ireland channel allocation and GE06 is in many ways reduced to a UK/ROI matter (no other country is close enough)

Channel 59 is not ST61 at Divis, nor will it be GE06 at Divis. It is used at Limavady for analogue now and from 2012 for PSB-2 at 20kW.

Read this Ofcom/Arqiva report about spectrum in NI. *

Lars :)

* Note: The report was written before clearing channel 61-62 was decided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reslfj wrote: »
    Read this Ofcom/Arqiva report about spectrum in NI. *

Lars :)

* Note: The report was written before clearing channel 61-62 was decided.

Already posted that in posts 38.
  • Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check the thread over on Boards.ie

Apparently, RTE's 1 and 2 along with TG4 (and a limited number of radio stations) will be relayed on a new mini multiplex comprising of Divis, Brougher Mountain, along with Black Mountain (presumably the low powered relay for West Belfast) and, surprisingly, Carnmoney Hill.

No Limivady unfortunately. Also, the transmissions are going to be in MPeg 4, not MPeg2 so new boxes required.

Good news if this does come to fruition in 2012

Seems there is some truth in this story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I look forward to watching the BBC on DTT in the south. When will they be included on Saorview?
    They won't. The Memorandum of Understanding only provides for the broadcast of RTÉ and TG4 in NI. The belief that BBC NI would be FTA on DTT in ROI was incorrect.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Ireland#Cross-border_Partnership
    Anyway, the ROI Pay-DTT deal fell through and the UK terrestrial channel are available on Sat4free (the ROI brandname for UK Freesat) and on a generic FTA satellite set-top box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the transmissions are going to be in MPeg 4, not MPeg2 so new boxes required.

Seems there is some truth in this story.

Maybe this is because it will be DVB-T2? Otherwise it will not be on Freeview. :D:D

Edit: found the link referred to above

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056121222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »
    They won't. The Memorandum of Understanding only provides for the broadcast of RTÉ and TG4 in NI. The belief that BBC NI would be FTA on DTT in ROI was incorrect.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Ireland#Cross-border_Partnership

Wikipedia is wrong again then. The MoU is here http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/pdf_documents/publications/2010/UK-NI-ROI_MOU_Feb_2010.pdf

Have a look at page 2, Co-operation and paragraph (c). However I agree the BBC may not be free on Irish DTT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Wikipedia is wrong again then. The MoU is here http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/pdf_documents/publications/2010/UK-NI-ROI_MOU_Feb_2010.pdf

Have a look at page 2, Co-operation and paragraph (c). However I agree the BBC may not be free on Irish DTT.
    There won't be any Pay DTT in ROI in the near future. Many households have Sky or UPC but the UK terrestrial channels are available FTA on ordinary satellite or, if you're on the Border or the east coast, Freeview overspill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

my next door neighbour as it,brings the box & card over on the ferry, she as family in Kerry.