Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• shylockshylock Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    That's what I was thinking, maybe something else has caused such a seemingly instant dismissal.
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will we ever find out the real reason he went ,other than he was out of his depth ! at last some of the dumb has been removed from radio :)
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    This is genius. Had me in tears. Goughie and Jacobs get honourable mentions.

http://t.co/pfV7rwJOEr

Brilliant :)
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    We won!

He's off to spend more time with his charities. It's the kind of guy he is. It's in his nature.

I reckon he's completely GUTTED by being sacked from the breakfast show that's why he put on the act this morning that he wasn't bothered, until that journalist dropped it out I think he'd planned to say nothing right up to the end of the show then just say "goodbye that's it I'm off" and he'd obviously got Brazil onside with him to do that but then the jouro blundered in.
    If they're not willing to set on a real quality breakfast show presenter then I hope they do what they did when Irani was last off have different guest presenters every morning it'll be far better than having to listen to Irani like we have suffered the last 6 years.
    It took an awful long time to get rid of him (awful being the operative word) but we did it, along with all the people in talkforum, all the people who wrote in and emailed talksport and the thousands that must have phoned in complaining, it's taken a tremendoes amout of effort over six long years but today we won and we SHOULD ALL REJOICE LOUDLY. :):):):):):):):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    Bringing back Parry would be awful. He's the same level of broadcaster that Irani was with a different act.

I wouldn't want Parry back either he was a complete joke, this station needs some quality bringing in, doubt we'll get it but we can hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Afternoon TalkSport believers:)

Another great day on the station. I enjoyed the great guests on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast with Ronnie Irani especially the knowledgeable Matt Scott. A wonderful listen and I am sure it will go from strength to strength in the future. I am very positive about things to come and I can't wait until 6AM tommorrow for another three hours of chat and banter with some witty sporting asided thrown in.:)

I loved the Andy Goldstein Sports Bar with Jason Cundy last night, I think the Wheel of Cundy and Crocodile Cundee are really good and make me laugh before I set my alarm for the early start for another full day of TalkSport.

Well done TalkSport, keep up the good work:)

I would have thought you'd have been in emotional turmoil over Irani's sacking today Gouldy?, not even going to comment on it or what?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just heard all the hospital radio stations are bricking themselves fearing a visit from Ronnie looking for a job. :p
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Was he given the tin tack while on air or just before? If they told him yesterday then why not just say don't bother coming in? He could have said all sorts.

Pretty brutal if they sack him like that, that's why Brazil was not allowed to go to Monte Carlo, they must have been sorting the legal stuff and planning, and were going to get rid as soon as the management got the green light. They did not even wait till after Fridays show.

He was totally gutted, what a humiliating way to go, bet he had to block a few on twitter today.

Only listen after 9.00 or later these days and just saw the news on another forum at about 9.00 am. So listened to last half hour in the car. Brazil just seemed to fob him off, obviously not mates really even after 6 years!
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    Brazil just seemed to fob him off, obviously not mates really even after 6 years!
    Yes, that was quite striking. Brazil didn't seem to care one iota, the whole thing had an air of 'send in the next one' to it. Irani did sound quite wounded even though he was trying to put a brave face on it.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't change too much about talkSPORT in one go - you're more likely to shed even more audience doing that. The station still has a strong backbone but there are obvious areas for improvement. And the most obvious change of all is being made it seems. I'm amazed Irani managed to last six years on the breakfast show as sadly, he just wasn't up to the job. His contributions, when made, added nothing. Looks to me as if the recent stand-ins were being auditioned for the job - wonder who'll get it?

Edit - just to add I thought Danny Kelly and Gabriel Marcotti were excellent on Kick Off the other night.

Totally agree re Danny and Gab. That show was fab. Gab's insight into director of football appointments was worth the listen on its own.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that was quite striking. Brazil didn't seem to care one iota, the whole thing had an air of 'send in the next one' to it. Irani did sound quite wounded even though he was trying to put a brave face on it.

You are right. Brazil did not care. It was "text me if you're about, ok see ya". Serves him right for climbing up Boozy's backside for so long. He never had any respect for him. An example? The nickname "chicken" Say it all.
  • old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Afternoon TalkSport believers:)

Another great day on the station. I enjoyed the great guests on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast with Ronnie Irani especially the knowledgeable Matt Scott. A wonderful listen and I am sure it will go from strength to strength in the future. I am very positive about things to come and I can't wait until 6AM tommorrow for another three hours of chat and banter with some witty sporting asided thrown in.:)

I loved the Andy Goldstein Sports Bar with Jason Cundy last night, I think the Wheel of Cundy and Crocodile Cundee are really good and make me laugh before I set my alarm for the early start for another full day of TalkSport.

Well done TalkSport, keep up the good work:)

Pretty boring stuff as usual try tuning in and you might learn something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Why not give Fordey a try with Brazil? Two larger than life persona's it could really work wonders for talkSPORT, anyone agree?
  • old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose a lot of us had forecast Ronnie Irani leaving breakfast for a long while now but the timing of it is a surprise.

It seems to have been a snap decision to drop him from breakfast so suddenly, it has come out of the blue and there is obvious successor lined up to replace him. I'm surprised they didn't let him see out this week, his name is still in the schedule so they'll probably have to get someone in at short notice and they might as well have dumped him on Friday rather than Thursday. It certainly isn't any more or less kinder. Having looked it up, Ronnie presented his first Sports Breakfast on Tuesday 25th September 2007, so if he's been on a rolling yearly contract since then he should have had about four months left to run on it.

I agree with those who have cited the double whammy of news of bad RAJAR figures and falling revenues for talkSPORT from this time last week as being the catalyst for Ronnie's departure. As most radio professionals on here often state, the weekday breakfast show is the most important programme on any radio station (followed by weekday drivetime), it's the one pitched at the largest potential listening audience and will set a station up for the day - those shows following on from breakfast usually inherit at least part of its audience as the day goes on.

The reason why talkSPORT has a poor reputation among many potential listeners, even despite the improvements it has made in certain areas in recent times, is down to breakfast and drive - these are the programmes people hold up as the biggest examples of talkSPORT, much more so than Keys & Gray, Hawksbee & Jacobs or their evening and weekend content (the vast majority of which I rate as being very strong right now). talkSPORT needs to get these two programmes right and clearly they have taken the first step as they set out to do this.

It's not nice to hear that someone has lost their job and I've no desire to kick a man when he's down, particularly in the wake of a crushing career blow like this. Good luck to Ronnie in the future and I hope he finds something to move on to that he finds enjoyable. I might be the only talkSPORT listener to say this but I never really had strong feelings about him either way, he obviously had his faults as a broadcaster but I didn't think he was quite as bad as he has been made out to be nor did I think he came across as anything less than basically a decent person.

It might not be the end of Ronnie Irani's career on talkSPORT - he's scheduled to present his summer cricket show Howzat! between 4-6pm from this Sunday onwards (which he has been doing during the gap between the end of one football season and start of another for the past few years), although during the announcement of his departure this morning he mentioned something about being hopeful he'd be presenting that show this weekend but needed to "sort that out and see what's happening." If he can sort things out to present that show for the duration of the summer before leaving amicably, I could see him popping up as a guest to talk about cricket on shows like H&J from time to time, as former hosts like Graham Beecroft and Paul Breen-Turner do on football in their parts of the world these days.

As for Ronnie's successor - I suspect that in the short term, perhaps for the duration of the summer, we'll hear what we heard recently when Ronnie was absent and that is Alan presenting the show with a number of different guest co-hosts. Personally I would like this arrangement to become the norm for the foreseeable future. Although the bulk of these guests will probably come from a football background given the nature of the UK's sports agenda, I could see them having a fair few people involved in rugby union on during the Lions tour, tennis during Wimbledon and cricket during The Ashes.

I've no idea what they'll do tomorrow; Ian Danter is covering for Paul on H&J, Jason Cundy is on The Sports Bar tonight and Danny Kelly is hosting his usual Friday Kick Off so either they'll have to change one of those shows or find another available fill-in host at short notice. Have they announced who'll be co-hosting tomorrow's show with Alan on-air yet?

For those who haven't heard it yet and want to listen to the audio confirming Ronnie's departure, today's show is available on Listen Again: http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-again/episode/115629

Matt Scott says goodbye to Ronnie - click the 0700-0730 tab, between 29.20 and 29.40.
    Alan and Ronnie discuss Ronnie leaving the Sports Breakfast after six years - click the 0730-0800 tab, between 15.39 and 16.50.
    Ronnie's final Sports Breakfast sign-off - click the 0930-1000 tab, between 28.55 and the end.

I respect your opinion and as usual you are more than fair on Irani but I can't agree with the decent tag,the mans a bully and a blattent liar as has been exposed in recent months.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    Bringing back Parry would be awful. He's the same level of broadcaster that Irani was with a different act.

Agreed; Mike Parry is a terrible broadcaster. His pronunciation of simple words & names are amongst the worst I've ever heard.

Getting rid of Irani & bringing back Parry would be like jumping from a frying pan into a furnace!:eek:
    Forum Member
    Bring back Mike!

We miss you Mike.
  • gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old oak wrote: »
    Pretty boring stuff as usual try tuning in and you might learn something.

Oh hi there old oak:)

An excellent point well made once again. I am really enjoying the great debate on DriveTime with Adrian Durham and Darren Gough at the moment. They are discussing some big sporting issues surrounding the Premier League and my beloved Chelsea FC and I for one am hooked on it at the moment.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings on TalkSport!:)
    Forum Member
    Oh hi there old oak:)

An excellent point well made once again. I am really enjoying the great debate on DriveTime with Adrian Durham and Darren Gough at the moment. They are discussing some big sporting issues surrounding the Premier League and my beloved Chelsea FC and I for one am hooked on it at the moment.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings on TalkSport!:)

Hi Gouldy mate. You gonna be tuning in to Matt tomorrow ? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I would have thought you'd have been in emotional turmoil over Irani's sacking today Gouldy?, not even going to comment on it or what?.

Hi Billy244:)

Great point once again. TalkSport are going from strength to strength and I fully back the management's decisions in team strategy going forward and I have utmost faith in their masterplan to take the UK's most successful commercial sports based radio station to another level.

Well done TalkSport and I am sure tomorrow will be another day of great debate and radio.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fattmaude wrote: »
    Hi Gouldy mate. You gonna be tuning in to Matt tomorrow ? :D

Oh hello fattmaude,:)

Maybe. I must confess I was put off Matt by his constant Chelsea bashing but I liked his forthright views on Alex Ferguson retiring the other day so I might give it a listen if I am awake. You have to admit, he is a great character on the station and one that pulls in the listeners no doubt.:)
  • FluffskiFluffski Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    6 long years over, now I know how Terry Waite felt.

Seriously, Irani was as irritating as the tedious adverts. The thing that really annoyed me with Irani was after years of experience on the radio he never made any effort, and as such was very happy to sit back and let Brazil do the work. Any guest that came on, he'd ask one banal question, and of course the ubiquitous ' brilliant/well done' at the end. And as for the amount of times he said 'I must admit'! Well I'd love to know what he's admitting now.

It was always an eye-opener when someone sat in for him (sadly not often enough), at how weak, inept and basically lazy his presenting was. I know someone has lost their job here, but 6 years of getting away with it together with all the perks and sidelines this has generated for him personally is more than generous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fluffski wrote: »
    Any guest that came on, he'd ask one banal question, and of course the ubiquitous ' brilliant/well done' at the end. And as for the amount of times he said 'I must admit'! Well I'd love to know what he's admitting now.

Not forgetting "cor, phwoar, massive, big time, unbelievable".
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    You are right. Brazil did not care. It was "text me if you're about, ok see ya". Serves him right for climbing up Boozy's backside for so long. He never had any respect for him. An example? The nickname "chicken" Say it all.
    Brazil cares about one person and thats Alan Brazil, you cant blame him with all the cutbacks, its dog eat dog.

Ronnie leaving is very sudden but as someone mentioned earlier it's bad enough him being a poor presenter but for him to have the cheek to be cocky and arrogant just takes the piss.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    firstly i am no fan of ronnie

but did anybody else find it a bit weird/tasteless the way he just appeared to be told presumably minutes before the show?

brazil asking him if he had managed to get him tickets was priceless brazil (utter **** but hard not to listen to)

i would also bet short odds ronnie never saw matt scotts champers
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The talkSPORT.co.uk schedule for tomorrow has been changed to state that Friday morning's Sports Breakfast will be hosted by Alan Brazil and Matt Holland.

Ronnie is still listed for next week's breakfast shows so I guess they have yet to confirm next week's cover presenters. Also, the picture used for the show's listings on the schedule and its archive on Listen Again has changed from being one of Brazil and Irani to one just of Brazil.
    ramage wrote: »
    I wonder if that is the reason the Moose isn't in today. He couldn't get out of bed for laughing.

Ian tweeted this morning that he has taken a day off to see his youngster daughter's school play. I'm sure it is as simple as that.

EDIT: Radio Today are reporting the news of Irani's departure and have quoted as talkSPORT's spokesperson who said:
    A spokesperson from talkSPORT has confirmed his sudden departure: “Ronnie Irani will be leaving the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast with immediate effect.

“Ronnie has achieved huge amounts on the breakfast show over the past six years, during which it reached record numbers of listeners, but the time is right for a change.

“He will remain an integral part of talkSPORT during the Ashes this summer and winter, playing a key role in our cricket coverage.”

Click here for the full article: http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/05/ronnie-irani-leaves-talksport-breakfast/
This discussion has been closed.