Options

Rank the EE Xmas eps 2007-10

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So we had one of these for the episodes from 2007-9 - how do you think this year's fits in? Just to recap:

2007 - Stax reveal
2008 - Baby amy's paternity
2009 - Archie murder
2010 - Stacey's exit

Comments

• Options
    xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2007 Stax reveal the acting was incredible.
    2009 was amazing with the Archie murder.
    2010 was really good with Stacey but I would have liked to see the other characters a bit and the whole Max still in love with her was bad.
    2008 last it was a good episode but the other 3 Christmas ep's where amazing.

Eastenders Christmases are always really good.
  • Options
    You_Tell_MeYou_Tell_Me Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    2007 Stax reveal the acting was incredible.
    2009 was amazing with the Archie murder.
    2010 was really good with Stacey but I would have liked to see the other characters a bit and the whole Max still in love with her was bad.
    2008 last it was a good episode but the other 3 Christmas ep's where amazing.

Eastenders Christmases are always really good.

Thats my order too. Always love EastEnders at Christmas. :D
    So sad that Stacey has gone. :cry:
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2007 - Stax Reveal
    Amazing. Possibly one of the most memorable episodes ever for me. I still watch the reveal and cringe. Brilliantly acted and written by all.
    2009 - Archie Murder
    I loved how Archie had all his visitors on the day. Janine was great, being tossed out on the Square in her sexy Santa outfit. I was disappointed with the ending though...
    2008 - Baby Amy
    Saved by Suzy Branning. She was great with her little Christmas speech. First episode was great. Second not so much. Why? Because it focused on the God-awful Sean Slater. So glad that vile creature has gone...
    2010 - Stacey's Exit
    First Christmas that hasn't excited me as much in a while. Stacey really had run her course - I thought it was rushed, not very exciting and plotted badly. More could have been made of Janine/Stacey fight. Ryan was just dropped... Max wanted to run away with her... It was just odd. Still, she's gone now and I don't have to get wound up by the annoying character anymore!
  • Options
    EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2009 - archies murder (loved this episode ,was a brilliant climax and lead to the whole who killed archie.)
    2010 - Staceys exit (the thing that brings that higher than 2007's is janine <3)
    2007 - Stax reveal (i still say that , the scene of them watching the dvd is the most awkward scene to watch, i loved it)
    2008 - amys paternity test- (dont care for roxys character :P)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2007 - Stax reveal
    2008 - Baby amy's paternity
    2009 - Archie murder
    2010 - Stacey's exit

Probably in that order actually.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2009 - Archie's murder - The storyline with the trail of presents for Janine really kicked things off fantastically because you knew he was about to dump her. The way everybody decided to pay him a visit was camp as anything but it completely worked and kept us in the dark, and the actual murder itself was shocking as hell - Christmas TV at its best!

2010 - Stacey's exit - I've said so much about this already, but to summarise it had Stacey, Max, Jean, Janine and Ronnie all at their best, it redeemed Stacey's character after a few months of irritating storylines and it was never predictable - plus amazing scenes between Stacey and Max which broke my heart. Could be my favourite of the bunch after another watch.

2007 - Stax reveal - Absolutely amazing in terms of the tension built and the fall-out from the reveal although aside from the reveal moment itself and the rows between Tan and Max I can't actually remember much more about it...

2008 - Baby Amy - A strong episode but not exactly Christmas gold. Suzy stole it.
  • Options
    Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2010 - Because it was exciting and I loved stacey.
    2008 - Sean was in it :o
    2009 - Just cause

(I only started watching in 2008 so didn't see the Stax reveal)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2007 - The reveal was amazing, the acting was great.
    2009 - Archie's murder
    2010 - Stacey's exit: Last night was great, loved seeing Janine/Stacey and it was good exit.
    2008 - I didn't care about the paternity at all. Roxy/Sean/Jack/Ronnie wasn't at all interesting but shame Sean left cos he was hot :o
  • Options
    ManOfEastManOfEast Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2007 - Very exciting, very satisfying peak of decently-constructed storyline. The "moment" was both cringe and gripping at the same time. This is EE at its best, when it can excite and surprise, without having to mutilate characters.

I really remember feeling sorry for Bradley, and seeing Tanya and the kid's reactions. The whole thing had such a believability to it. Such a rawness. Great stuff. :)

2010 - While I have cared little for the J/S/R triangle, this episode restored a little bit of sympathy and credability to Stacey's character, who had been wrecked by terrible writing. It was also nice, because instead of leading up to a big obvious event (a formula which really is running stale), there was a genuine element of surprise. On the whole, an hour of solid entertainment.

2008 - I didn't care for the plot and didn't care for the obvious reveal. There was none of the tension that the year beforehand had. It wasn't awful, but it never really went
    above alright for me.

2009 - The worst of the four by a mile, and probably the worst EE Christmas of all time. I hate this episode, I hate the storyline leading up to it, I hate the character involved, I hate the way the show has been stuck in a rut due to the need to resolve its abysmal plot and how it butchered characters just to make it work.

This awful, awful episode and plot is the source of many of the problems that have dogged the show over the last year. The wrecking of Stacey's character, Peggy's obsession with the Vic, the lull and dragging in the early part of the year when all the effort was going into the live episode. The J/S/R triangle crap stems partially from the Archie stuff as well.

Even ignoring the consequences of the episode, the actual episode itself wasn't very good - they invented a bunch of reasons for people to hate a cardboard character, and then made it obvious he was going to be killed at the end of the episode, and we knew we weren't going to find out until Februrary. The whole whodunnit felt too forced, the cogs of the plot scraping and scratching obviously in the background, I just couldn't enjoy it.

None of those four are a patch on some of the classic EE Christmases though. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2008 (new year was more interesing for that one)
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just realised they're all Stacey related :o

2008 less so, but her brother :D

Anyway:

1. 2009
    2. 2010
    3. 2007
    3. 2008
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2010 - Just brilliant. Full of surprises, twists and a fairly happy ending.

2007 - Full of drama. We'd been waiting for the reveal for over a year, and although I hated the story, the ending made up for it. Also a shock when Tanya fell down the stairs at the end!:eek:

2009 - Good episode, but not as good as the top two. All I wanted to see was Archie die.:D

2008 - I didn't enjoy it. Was a very weak Christmas storyline by EastEnders' standards. Only thing I enjoyed was Jim's surprise arrival and Nick's return (though that was a disaster:o)
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1986 - The best ever! :D
  • Options
    BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy christmas 2008 at all which was a shame as 2008 was the year I started watching again after stopping for three years, 2009 felt forced with all the possible murders' going into the vic one after another to confront Archie and then having Janine running around the square looking for treasure (really glad BK has taken her character in a different direction compared to Santers), 2007 was really quite brilliant with the build up and fallout being brilliantly written up until mid 2008 but 2010 has been really great as Janine and Stacey are two of best current characters' and they are played by brilliant actresses who often steal scenes' from other actors'.
  • Options
    17@1717@17 Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    2009 - Archie's murder - The storyline with the trail of presents for Janine really kicked things off fantastically because you knew he was about to dump her. The way everybody decided to pay him a visit was camp as anything but it completely worked and kept us in the dark, and the actual murder itself was shocking as hell - Christmas TV at its best!

2010 - Stacey's exit - I've said so much about this already, but to summarise it had Stacey, Max, Jean, Janine and Ronnie all at their best, it redeemed Stacey's character after a few months of irritating storylines and it was never predictable - plus amazing scenes between Stacey and Max which broke my heart. Could be my favourite of the bunch after another watch.

2007 - Stax reveal - Absolutely amazing in terms of the tension built and the fall-out from the reveal although aside from the reveal moment itself and the rows between Tan and Max I can't actually remember much more about it...

2008 - Baby Amy - A strong episode but not exactly Christmas gold. Suzy stole it.

This.