Options

Will Harry Potter become a classic series?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now it's almost over what do think about the harry potter movies becoming classics in the future?

Can you see them being treated in the same way Star Wars or Back To The Future is now in 20 years time?

Not sure myself (though I am a huge fan)

Comments

• Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    If the opening bars of the main Harry Potter theme are enough to excite then yes, I think it will be a classic franchise in years to come. Personally speaking, I think it will anyway.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    As a huge fan, I'd like to think so. I'd also like to think that years from now children will read the books as they are better than the films (usually the case with any book-to-film-adaption).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debating it with a friend who ''thinks'' in 15 years time they shall all be remade again.

(completely different cast, done differently etc) - Nope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Debating it with a friend who ''thinks'' in 15 years time they shall all be remade again.

(completely different cast, done differently etc) - Nope.

Absolutely not - Though sadly, I can see it happening

:sleep:
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultimately only time will tell. It's impossible to predict what will become a classic. It all depends if there's still an appetite for them in twenty years time. Star Wars and BTTF didn't exactly set the world on fire on their initial release. They were good films, but it's only with the passage of time that they've taken this supposed classic status.

Having said that, I can see them being considered classic in years to come. That's not to say they are 'classic' (whatever that actually means) films in themselves, just that they have as much going for them as Star Wars, BTTF, LOTR, James Bond or any other series of generally half-decent films and there's every reason to think that people will still be interested in them in years to come. 'Course, that will be helped by the fact that JKR will soon realise - if she hasn't already - that she's a one trick pony and will be forever milking the HP universe, thus ensuring it remains part of the zeitgeist, much as George Lucas does with Star Wars.
  • Options
    James TJames T Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH I don't think the HP films are that good. It feels like someone trying to explain what happens in the book, but with none of the magic in delivery that you'd get from reading the text. I think one of the problems is that while the films have a stellar adut cast, the child actors aren't all that good and of course a lot of the good characters in the book are the children.

I'm always interested to watch the films to see how they've done the adaption, and as a nostalgic homage to the books, but I don't think the films stand up in their own right.

The books are absolute classics, but the films are not IMHO.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last couple of films are decent but overall the entire franchise including the books isn't something special IMO.

In terms of adaptations, it's not in the same league as what Peter Jackson did with LOTR. That was a tough conversion to do and he did it well.

In Deathly Hallows films, do we get to see at all the story about Snape being a bad guy but in love with Harry's mum. That was a fairly important strand explaining his character and his conflict.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Star Wars didn't exactly set the world on fire on their initial release. .

what apart from becoming the number 1 grossing movie of all time?
  • Options
    VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The last couple of films are decent but overall the entire franchise including the books isn't something special IMO.

In terms of adaptations, it's not in the same league as what Peter Jackson did with LOTR. That was a tough conversion to do and he did it well.

In Deathly Hallows films, do we get to see at all the story about Snape being a bad guy but in love with Harry's mum. That was a fairly important strand explaining his character and his conflict.

Yes, Snape's backstory is properly explored in the upcoming film (Part Two).
  • Options
    crossbonescrossbones Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    since the third one, i would struggle to tell one film from the other. they all seem so similar. mind you, my good friend warwick davis is in them, so i have to watch them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vashetti wrote: »
    Yes, Snape's backstory is properly explored in the upcoming film (Part Two).

I wonder how many people figured it out! (the twist with that). I got me. made sense but didn't think of it.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what apart from becoming the number 1 grossing movie of all time?

I'm gonna need the stats on that I'm afraid. I know there's several ways you could measure it, but at no time can I recall Star Wars being the highest grossing film of all time. Titanic, Avatar, Harry Potters, Gone With The Wind, yes, at different times and adjusted for inflation etc. Star Wars? Not so much.

ETA - I'm not saying Star Wars is a bad film, far from it, just questioning at what time it was the highest grossing film of all time. If at all, it must have been very soon after it was released and for a short time, which was my point. It's the passing of time that's defined it as a classic, not its immediate impact.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    They're already classic films - whatever that really means.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Now it's almost over what do think about the harry potter movies becoming classics in the future?

Can you see them being treated in the same way Star Wars or Back To The Future is now in 20 years time?

Not sure myself (though I am a huge fan)

I would have thought it was already.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the films will be regarded as classics, for when you detach the idea the films are adapatations from a book and treat them as a single entidy - A film.They are just big budget family fanasty films, that average a rating of 6/10 in terms of a visual specticle. I believe it's the relevenance of the books in today's society and the big production of the films that elevates the films to being something more than what they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. The books and films go together - they are a legacy of their own, but ultimately only time will tell. Some could argue that Potter is already a classic series (both books and films) and the impact it has had over the past decade is incredible.

As for the quality, I feel people seriously undermine the Potter films. The production design is superb and the direction the series has gone mirrors the thematics of the books. One of the best things about the Potter films is the cinematography, especially Half-Blood Prince. The character development, casting, set and costume design, make-up and even the visual effects are all symbolic of the Potter films and I think people like David Heyman, John Williams and Alfonso Cuaron have helped to establish the series. Honestly, the amount of work the filmmakers put in is astonishing and yet it goes unnoticed by people who dismiss the series as a "fan service" or a "kiddy series". :rolleyes: The Potter films are produced with much more care and reverence than your average summer blockbuster. Overall, each film has been well-received by film critics and general audiences alike. The average on RT is 83% and the average from the BFCA is 89. OK, they're not the best films in the world but they're pretty darn good. That pretty much sums it up for me.

So quality-wise, the Potter films are definitely up there but whether they will be classics in say 10 or 20 years time, who knows? I think it likely. Very likely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I'm gonna need the stats on that I'm afraid. I know there's several ways you could measure it, but at no time can I recall Star Wars being the highest grossing film of all time. Titanic, Avatar, Harry Potters, Gone With The Wind, yes, at different times and adjusted for inflation etc. Star Wars? Not so much.

ETA - I'm not saying Star Wars is a bad film, far from it, just questioning at what time it was the highest grossing film of all time. If at all, it must have been very soon after it was released and for a short time, which was my point. It's the passing of time that's defined it as a classic, not its immediate impact.

Star Wars remains one of the most financially successful films of all time. The film's original total U.S. and Canada gross came to $307,263,857, and it earned $6,806,951 during its first weekend in wide release. The film became the highest-grossing film of 1977 and the highest-grossing film of all time until E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial broke that record in 1982. With subsequent re-releases, Star Wars reclaimed the title, but lost it again to James Cameron's 1997 blockbuster Titanic. The film earned $775,398,007 worldwide, making it the first film to reach the $300, $400, $500, $600 and $700 million mark.[3] Adjusted for inflation, it is the second highest grossing movie of all time in the United States, behind Gone with the Wind (1939).[68]

Sleek
  • Options
    Forum Member
    crossbones wrote: »
    since the third one, i would struggle to tell one film from the other. they all seem so similar. mind you, my good friend warwick davis is in them, so i have to watch them.

You dropped something...Here you go

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    It can go either way I suppose.....a classic series or just a successful film franchise........personally I think the films lack consistency, they all look and feel different - there was to many different directors, compared to Star Wars and LOTR which had the same director and thus the same vision......the first two films were too childish, the third one was brillant and a good step forward, I felt the fourth one was overall bad apart from when Voldemort came back, the 5th was was pretty good as well as the 6th one but felt like they dragged on too much, the 7th one was really good but probably suffered due to the fact that it was just a build up to the last one..........I feel too like they made be remade in the future but this time with one director
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Regardless of everyone's opinions about the films, and i do not think they are that special, they did capture people's imaginations and they are will remain a staple for many Christmas to come.
    Isn't that what a classic of this type of film is all about? The fact that everyone regardless of age, will be familiar with the films but it will gladly see them over and over again with a cosy feeling of familiarity? They are classics already IMHO.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't mind if JK Rowling gave permission for Warner Brothers to make stand alone films with her as consultant. Love to see what went on in Slytherin House in years gone by (far before Harry was born). Gryffindor is such a goody two shoes house it sometimes make you sick.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    The acting in the first 3 movies is a bit well dodgy to say the least.

Hermione seems to be forever in hysterics
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    The story is amazing ... but even now looking back at the early ones, they're tough to watch because they're crap ... I can't imagine, in 20 years time, people looking at those and thinking they're amazing.

Maybe a remake in a few years :)
  • Options
    KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I think they will be remade and I hope that they are. Not because I don't like the original movies or the cast, but because for so many of them the screen writers, director and actors were sailing blind and didn't know where the series was going. JK Rowling supervised and kept some parts in, but there are so many bits from the first few books that should have been there, but because they were dropped, it's affected the later movies.

So, I'd like to see them done again so that all of these sub-plots that only came to light at the end, can be done correctly.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Kalmia wrote: »
    I think they will be remade and I hope that they are. Not because I don't like the original movies or the cast, but because for so many of them the screen writers, director and actors were sailing blind and didn't know where the series was going. JK Rowling supervised and kept some parts in, but there are so many bits from the first few books that should have been there, but because they were dropped, it's affected the later movies.

So, I'd like to see them done again so that all of these sub-plots that only came to light at the end, can be done correctly.

I tend to disagree about stuff being left out of the earlier films which turned out to be important. In the first two films, almost everything, line by line, are included (one of the main criticisms of the first two films as it gave Chamber of Secrets an enormous running time). And in Prisoner of Azkaban, the only big thing left out is the Marauders' identity, and since later films refer to Pettigrew as "Wormtail" and and Sirius as "Padfoot" the connection becomes clear. Plus, contrary to popular belief, it's heavily implied in POA.

I can't think of anything else of any importance that's not included in the earlier films. I think Goblet of Fire was a very poor adaptation and led to a conclusion that didn't make sense, but not to a series-wide extent. What do you think they've left out that makes the later films suffer? :)