Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series5 ep 5

Remember Me
    Written by: Jack Lothian
    Director: Paul Seed

PC Joe Penhale has an unexpected visitor in the shape of his ex-wife Maggie, who appears to have completely forgotten that they split up a couple of years ago. Joe takes her to Large's restaurant, where fellow diner Martin quickly spots that Maggie is showing symptoms of amnesia. Louisa's mother Eleanor catches up with her old school friend Paul, a local fisherman, who takes her out on a date. Morwenna arrives at the surgery with an injured foot and the doctor grimaces at the sight of the blood as he treats the wound. PC Penhale warns Martin and Louisa that if they do not register a name for their baby soon, the state will be forced to step in. In the end they name their son James Henry Ellingham.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Series5 ep 5

Remember Me
    Written by: Jack Lothian
    Director: Paul Seed

This is directed by Paul Seed. It will be interesting to see if we can notice the difference.
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your report poorrichard.
    I think the loss of Ben Bolt will have a huge effect on the finished product. I am very sad to see him go.

Doesn't really reflect well on PB and MC that they can't get on with and keep these vitally important people like Dominic Minghella and now Ben Bolt. But I guess a lot iof creative people are volatile and they all have a lot invested in the show (not just money but reputation, ego etc) which makes it difficult relinquishing control at times.

Ben Bolt has written 2 eps for s6. Wonder how that will work?

The problem isn't that PB can't keep ben Bolt - he's the director of Downton Abbey and that's still going on where as DM might be in it's last series. The rest of the crew is still here from the first series.

I must say, I've been here 2 weeks and had a very different experience. I saw CC this morning and she stayed and took pictures with everyone that was there this morning, even as she was being called to the set, she stayed and took more pics. (incidentally, apparently the paper that gives the bad review is the school paper, which causes a rift between Bert and LG.)

The interesting this is that apparently ITV isn't happy with videos and pics getting online. They fine BP for whenever they feel too much has gotten out, so that's why the crew is cracking down. And probably why they mentioned an alternate ending to the wedding - they don't want any info traced back to them. Although with 200 extras used in the scene, I'm amazed more hasn't gotten out.
    Forum Member
    Oh - meant to add that I met the actor playing the manny last night. I believe his name is Felix Scott (I didn't catch his name, but I think I recognize him from Missing).
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    The problem isn't that PB can't keep ben Bolt - he's the director of Downton Abbey and that's still going on where as DM might be in it's last series. The rest of the crew is still here from the first series.

I must say, I've been here 2 weeks and had a very different experience. I saw CC this morning and she stayed and took pictures with everyone that was there this morning, even as she was being called to the set, she stayed and took more pics. (incidentally, apparently the paper that gives the bad review is the school paper, which causes a rift between Bert and LG.)

The interesting this is that apparently ITV isn't happy with videos and pics getting online. They fine BP for whenever they feel too much has gotten out, so that's why the crew is cracking down. And probably why they mentioned an alternate ending to the wedding - they don't want any info traced back to them. Although with 200 extras used in the scene, I'm amazed more hasn't gotten out.

Thanks for that mazzie. I saw this on Twitter this morning:
    Laura Penneycard heads down to Cornwall this weekend to begin shooting Doc Martin.

Wonder if this is for one episode or more?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    1) I love the opening shot with father and son on the moor. I don’t really know why DM’s still in his pyjamas. Probably the trip to the moor was an impromptu decision. DM really is watching his manners with the baby. He teaches him to say “Morning.” What I love even more is the grumpy expression of the baby.
    2) The first scene in the kitchen points out one of their many problems. He wants confirmation that she’ll be back on time, but she refuses to give it. How can you compromise if one partner refuses to stick to her word? I’d say for someone like DM who never showed any interest in a family it is a great step forward to take the morning off to look after the child. It isn’t encouraging him if he might get the feeling he might be exploited.
    3) When Louisa is confessing to breaking his “coffee thingy” DM is incredible patient.
    4) I like Penhale's reply to Louisa when he comes in to collect for “the kiddies in Africa” and Louisa hasn’t got much money. JM shows his comic talent with his sly “Not as sorry as those kiddies.”
    5) When Louisa went out to school and asks DM how she looks, he has no clue what she wants. I guess for the only time she doesn’t storm off feeling rejected, but tells him what she wants to hear and he delivers, earning him a peck on the cheek. At that point I had hopes they might work out to get along together. They were on the right track.
    6) When the pub landlord comes in and Morwenna tells him that surgery is closed, I simply love her line about an exception being a “nasty case of something unpronounceable.”
    7) What I don’t get but what might be natural in villages like Portwenn is that people come flocking in although the surgery is officially closed. If I’d be DM, I’d throw them out immediately or better still the door would be locked. DM, however, is treating everyone on his free afternoon, giving diagnoses while shaking the pram to calm down the baby. That’s multitasking for you.
    8) I simply love the scene with the collapsed runner. JP can be so stupid in those situations.
    “Probably not serious though he did go white and I think he might have stopped breathing at one point.” :confused:(If that’s not serious, what is? Next stage you’ll need the coroner!)
    “I ruled out dislodged testicles…:eek:he wasn’t happy but one less thing to worry about.” I am so glad they didn’t show that one!
    9) I think Mrs. T is a true delight in this episode and I will truly miss her if she won’t return.
    Her first big scene is her bickering about working mums and how the father has to take the burden. She has so much understanding for the Doc and the poor fellow is completely blind to her advances.
    10) When DM changes the nappy, the apron-over-suit look complete with disposable gloves is really a Martinesque fashion choice.
    11) The scene with changing the nappies is really getting better and better. When he puts the baby on the floor (safety first) and then returns to find the place empty. His shocked expression is great. Why is he checking the room under the table? How should he have gone there? Miraculously starting to crawl?
    So he is considerably shaken up when he spots Eleanor with the baby. I think we haven’t seen him so much out of control since the break-up in S3. He can merely stutter in confusion, but when Eleanor wants to touch the baby he instinctively tries to protect the child in tugging at the blanket.
    12) We have the case of Fishy Finbar thrown in. I can’t remember too many patients actually being grateful for their diagnosis, so it’s a nice change for the Doc.
    13) Poor Buddy. It becomes clearer and clearer that this new woman at the farm simply doesn’t want him. I love the way AR casually tells Al to take the dog to Martin and he points out that she doesn’t pay him enough to do that. That’s right, Al, keep your ground.
    14) There are few scenes in this series when I’m with Louisa, but she is absolutely right to scold Martin when he shouts after his patient “Arse!”. Sorry, DM, this isn’t done, even less so in front of your son who might pick that up and you certainly won’t like it.
    Morwenna, however, is pretty stoic about it: “Who wants to give it a go, then?”:rolleyes:
    15) We are meant to love :rolleyes:Eleanor from the first moment on. Maybe that’s what’s making it hard to understand that Louisa doesn’t see what an unreliable, egoistic, manipulative woman her mother is. She quietly watches Louisa struggle to get the pram out of the house, and just as soon as LG succeeds she offers her help. Great timing. Thanks.
    16) On the way downhill into the village we get a first taste of Eleanor’s tactic. She blames Louisa for being estranged, as she didn’t want to move to Spain with her when they hardly knew each other anymore. Nice try.
    Then, when LG doesn’t seem to react the way she should, we throw some pity in (Eleanor’s lover died, what a shame).
    Step number three, we nurture LG’s dissatisfaction with her whole situation. Even the first time I saw this I wanted to shake some sense into LG. I thought it was highly unfair the way LG answered when her mother criticized Martin for not helping.
    “Martin is busy, you know. He has a lot of responsibilities.” – No, Louisa, he is helping a lot, as far as we can see. He is babysitting so that you can have an evening out. He is cooking and if he doesn’t do so he ends up with a corn cob. He starts surgery late so that you can go to the school meeting. He spends part of the night in the bloody car on the bloody moor so that you can get some sleep. Appreciate it! Tell your mother he is doing a lot to help!:mad:
    17) Mrs. T – the second. Her conversation with Eleanor is one of her best ever. She is actually quite witty and snappy here. She really gets into her top gear when Eleanor calls Martin “a total waste of space”. The throb in ST’s voice when she defends the Doc as one of the finest human beings she has ever met.
    Louisa, just look at that to learn how to defend your man!
    18) I agree with others who have pointed out that Louisa is just trying to provoke Martin during the corn cob meal. She is practically waiting for him to criticize one of the many things he’d have any right to address, but he is astonishingly patient. Maybe LG is completely frustrated and needs someone to bite his head off, but the Doc gives no reason whatsoever. What a shame.
    19) I had hopes for DM/LG when they are both worried when the child monitor goes silent and LG storms off, cob in her hand (why didn’t she put it on the plate, I wonder:confused:). “She’s my mother. I’ll be the one who doesn’t trust her.” Good one, but unfortunately LG didn’t mean it. As soon as Eleanor purrs “He just needed his grandma.” LG is buying it and relaxes visibly.
    20) Mrs. T – the third. Hers was the most seductive offer to babysit I’ve ever heard.
    21) I thought DM finally had enough and stood his ground in his own house when he shouted “Get out!” to Eleanor, but he covered it up in making it look as if he’d meant the dog. Sorry, but he had any right to throw her out of his own cottage, no matter if she’s LG’s mother. I’ve thrown people (family) out for less.
    “I don’t need your advice about child-raising.” Really, Eleanor? What do you know about it? When your daughter was eleven, you were already a stranger to her. Not the best reference. So you do know nothing about it. Besides, you’re a guest in the house, not the owner, so act like one!:mad:
    22) A very short scene, but I think it tells us a lot about Morwenna – eating the apple at the desk. DM forbids it, so she let the apple disappear into the drawer, just to continue nibbling at it as soon as he’s out of sight. She doesn’t want to confront him, she simply does what she wants. No fuss.
    23) Over and over again I’m astonished about the Doc’s patience with Eleanor for Louisa’s sake. “Take your shoes off my bed, please.”:confused: I can assure you, if someone puts his dirty shoes on my bed, he’d hear many words, but definitely not “please”.
    24) When DM discovers the alcohol in the bottle, I think he acts absolutely right. He hasn’t one of his temperamental outbursts, storming upstairs and leaving a bewildered LG as witness of a nasty scene. No, he calls LG, talks to her first, leading her to the right conclusion herself and then confronts Eleanor together with LG in a firm but acceptable way. So DM can consult LG, but I’m not sure she always notices.
    I also wondered about Eleanor’s “Never did you any harm.” So LG did get alcohol from her mother early on? Besides, is this comment an echo of the chicken coop incident?
    25) Another great Penhale moment: “Officer in need of assistance.”
    “…and some trousers.”:D
    26) I guess there can’t be any DM fan not loving the scene in the bedroom, when DM assures LG that the baby doesn’t show any sign of negative effect from the alcohol. LG is as honest about her feelings as she ever was. She openly tells Martin about her frustration about being disappointed, and he connects to that, strokes her cheek and tries in his own clumsy way to comfort her. It’s the second tender moment in one episode. That is rare. It’s even one of the few occasions in S5 that LG actually smiles.
    Then she promises to get rid of Eleanor. A promise she won’t keep.
    27) A big theme throughout the whole series is Martin’s childhood, and we catch a glimpse of that when AR comes to dinner. So in her and her brother’s view, children ought to be quiet, not wailing. It is encouraging that DM has moved forward and is not stuck in his family’s point of view.
    28) The end of this episode is probably the worst, even more so than the end of episode 6 when LG leaves. Eleanor is a downright bitch. Before LG even opens her mouth, Eleanor’s insinuation that LG comes to apologize puts doubts in LG’s mind. Then Eleanor turns all the facts around to make LG feel guilty and in the end even succeeds in making LG doing something she would feel guilty about. “Don’t tell Martin.”
    That’s just not the point. Her mother has full control over her now.
    Forum Member
    But the first time around was different I think.
    An emotional response to Edith leaving might seem out of character for DM as we see him now but back then he wrote POETRY to her! I think he was pretty devastated so much so that he shut down emotionally because of it.

I totally agree. When his first attempt to bond with any person was shattered and his love interest chose career over him, then he might have retreated deeper into his shell than ever before. Possibly he thought all the pain simply wasn't worth it.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member

Mazzieblue, or can I just say Mazzie. Thanks for the post - it made me feel better for some reason, that things haven't changed so much. It does have to be frustrating to those with commercial interests to have things leak out. They should bear in mind that those digging for the information will probably only watch each episode a 101 times with or without hints to the plot.
    Hope the rest of the trip is great for you.
    Forum Member
    You may be right but I don't want this to be the case. I don't think they have emphasised any class distinction throughout the 5 series at all and then it would be strange that they suddenly do in on short scene.

I think it's just exhaustion on LG's part and finiky eating like stateside fan said.

I can see that this is a serious topic:rolleyes:, so I simply have to join in.
    Actually, I didn't notice it personally, so I wasn't really bothered by it. Did anyone think the Doc was actually appaled by it, or did he ignore it just like me?
    The last thing I like to throw in is that LG had her meals in her childhood with her father, alone. When DM was little, he was in the refectory of the boarding school or under the scrutinizing eyes of his always critical parents. The few weeks in Cornwall don't really count in that respect, I think.
    I guess they are bound to have different takes on privacy.
    Forum Member
    He is scared to death and ANGRY at being stuck. The only person he doesn't show his anger at is his son. It's interesting to me he is in one way so confined and trapped in a smaller world and smaller emotional range, while feeling like he's beyond the fences on some kind of free-floating space walk and things are essentially out of control.

Interesting point of view. Actually, I can second the scared part. He is in a situation he never thought he'd be in. He doesn't know what to do. Being a first-time dad is worst enough if you have nine months of preparation, but if you're thrown in at virtually the last minute, it would be superhuman not to be scared.
    I don't see him angry, however, nor trapped. I had the impression he was walking on eggshells, knowing that Lousia is still hormonally unbalanced but willing to care for her. It seemed to me, he watched his actions more closely not to explode or let his temper get the better of him.
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    Another bit of dialogue that left me scratching my head was the conversation between LG and her mother as she handed James off so she could go to the school. The piece I don't understand is LG telling her mother to take the James with her if she used the toilet and not leave him on the street. I'd think if you had to tell someone that it would disqualify them from babysitting.

Actually, I thought practically everything about Eleanor disqualified her from babysitting;)
    Forum Member
    That Edith remembered it IS significant; it obviously meant something to each of them at the time. Her pulling it out and reciting it at their lunch seemed it might be a card she was playing to sort of smack him in the face. It put him off balance, and put her in a superior position - just as she knew it would. It was also a signal that she wanted to explore a return to their old relationship. Her character was so well-written and acted!

I actually don't think that Edith planned to bring the poem into the conversation. I think she genuinely remebered by the clue she got from her conversation.
    Because if she still didn't know it by heart, she must have brushed it up, meaning she kept it and knew where and took the time to learn it.
    She had easier means to gain control over DM - so she thought.
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I don't think he realized it (or fully does even yet), but deep down he needs a woman who can fill that emotional hole that was never filled by his mother. He needs a partner who can bring him the softness and caring that he never had growing up. He got a bit of that from AJ, but was snatched from him. I suspect that deep down he started to realize this after his mother's revelations to him, and it may have played a part in the ultimate rejection of Edith this time around.

Agree. And Lousia needs someone who doesn't let her down like her dad did. She needs someone honest that she can trust. Someone who keeps his promises. Someone who doesn't do sweet talk but no action ("I saw this dress and almost bought it as a present.") Someone reliable. A rock, through and through.
  • whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mazzieblue, did you notice whether LG was wearing a wedding ring or not..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Twitter searching would be so much easier if those damn kids were smart enough to know that the boots are spelled with an "e". (codger alert! :eek:)

I know right? Annoying
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, Mazzie. I didn't realize Ben Bolt had directed 2 eps of the Series 1 Downton. And I did find a reference to him working on DA in mid April. There have been several directors sharing the duties in the past on Downton. BB has done several projects with MC in the past other than DM. It seems the neighbors Fellowes and Clunes share a director as well!

And of course, we have seen a couple other directors for DM eps as well.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings from Port Isaac. (SNIP) If you can't make it to the filming, don't be gutted. It's not all that. Oh... I did notice one interesting development: no Ben Bolt. Apparently the series has a new director this season. I wonder if that will make any discernible change to the finished product.

Thanks for the travelogue narrative, PoorRichard54. Very interesting!

No Ben Bolt? Wow, that really opens up the season to a whole new slant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Thanks, dmptrader. I picked up that Doc Martin Online is interviewing fans in Port Isaac today - and that Rory Winton (Chippy) is filming DM tonight. Love the idea of more night scenes, as many have said here previously. :)

Oh great thanks have not been able to get online since the morning. Vicky on Twitter met cc today they were filming in the school.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, it's nice to know you had a nicer experience in Port Isaac. You're there two weeks already? Wow! How long are you planning on staying?
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Oh, it's nice to know you had a nicer experience in Port Isaac. You're there two weeks already? Wow! How long are you planning on staying?

I've got a couple more days. I hope it warms up though, because although it's sunny, it's freezing.

I agree with poorrichard in that some filming is better than others. For example, next week they are filming on road between Port Gaverne and PI, so I'm guessing all anyone is going to get to see is the car, or several cars, driving up the road and you won't hear any dialogue, etc. But, supposedly they are then filming a scene where Joe staples a flyer to the lamppost...and his hand. So, DM gets called out.

This happened to me last time I was here during filming - they were filming scenes in LG's house, so we didn't get to see anything. I was lucky in that they then decided to film on the street (the scene where Bert collapses in front of DM's car), so then we could see everything.

It's a bit of a gamble as to what you'll actually get to see, but I didn't want people to get discouraged about coming out here. Every member of the cast that I've seen film usually greets the crowds if they can. This was only the first day filming in the village this year with the cast and none of the scenes had MC, so I think there was some disappointment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your report poorrichard.
    I think the loss of Ben Bolt will have a huge effect on the finished product. I am very sad to see him go.

Doesn't really reflect well on PB and MC that they can't get on with and keep these vitally important people like Dominic Minghella and now Ben Bolt. But I guess a lot iof creative people are volatile and they all have a lot invested in the show (not just money but reputation, ego etc) which makes it difficult relinquishing control at times.

Ben Bolt has written 2 eps for s6. Wonder how that will work?

The loss of Ben Bolt is huge for the show. He's a good writer, but he is THE director that has lovingly and lingeringly shot Martin, Caroline, and Port Isaac. His camera has caressed these characters. He has talked particularly about his fascination with the look of Martin Clunes - and when he has vacated the directorial chair, the product is different (okay, here goes the artist again!) Two of his signature trademarks are the very careful lighting and the lyrical long takes (many directors in this age of the abbreviated attention span use a more "choppy" style.) But even when he's been gone for an episode or two, because he has understood and helped shape what DM is all about and the lens through which we see him, the general continuity and "feel" of the show has been retained. Who directs does make a difference and I am sorry to see him go. I think the comparison to Dominic Minghella abandoning his creation is an apt one.

Thank you, PoorRichard, for breaking the news. So I have two questions. . .1) how will his departure affect the product, and 2) exactly why did Ben Bolt leave?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    1) I love the opening shot with father and son on the moor. I don’t really know why DM’s still in his pyjamas. Probably the trip to the moor was an impromptu decision. DM really is watching his manners with the baby. He teaches him to say “Morning.” What I love even more is the grumpy expression of the baby.
    2) The first scene in the kitchen points out one of their many problems. He wants confirmation that she’ll be back on time, but she refuses to give it. How can you compromise if one partner refuses to stick to her word? I’d say for someone like DM who never showed any interest in a family it is a great step forward to take the morning off to look after the child. It isn’t encouraging him if he might get the feeling he might be exploited.
    3) When Louisa is confessing to breaking his “coffee thingy” DM is incredible patient.
    4) I like Penhale's reply to Louisa when he comes in to collect for “the kiddies in Africa” and Louisa hasn’t got much money. JM shows his comic talent with his sly “Not as sorry as those kiddies.”
    5) When Louisa went out to school and asks DM how she looks, he has no clue what she wants. I guess for the only time she doesn’t storm off feeling rejected, but tells him what she wants to hear and he delivers, earning him a peck on the cheek. At that point I had hopes they might work out to get along together. They were on the right track.
    6) When the pub landlord comes in and Morwenna tells him that surgery is closed, I simply love her line about an exception being a “nasty case of something unpronounceable.”
    7) What I don’t get but what might be natural in villages like Portwenn is that people come flocking in although the surgery is officially closed. If I’d be DM, I’d throw them out immediately or better still the door would be locked. DM, however, is treating everyone on his free afternoon, giving diagnoses while shaking the pram to calm down the baby. That’s multitasking for you.
    8) I simply love the scene with the collapsed runner. JP can be so stupid in those situations.
    “Probably not serious though he did go white and I think he might have stopped breathing at one point.” :confused:(If that’s not serious, what is? Next stage you’ll need the coroner!)
    “I ruled out dislodged testicles…:eek:he wasn’t happy but one less thing to worry about.” I am so glad they didn’t show that one!
    9) I think Mrs. T is a true delight in this episode and I will truly miss her if she won’t return.
    Her first big scene is her bickering about working mums and how the father has to take the burden. She has so much understanding for the Doc and the poor fellow is completely blind to her advances.
    10) When DM changes the nappy, the apron-over-suit look complete with disposable gloves is really a Martinesque fashion choice.
    11) The scene with changing the nappies is really getting better and better. When he puts the baby on the floor (safety first) and then returns to find the place empty. His shocked expression is great. Why is he checking the room under the table? How should he have gone there? Miraculously starting to crawl?
    So he is considerably shaken up when he spots Eleanor with the baby. I think we haven’t seen him so much out of control since the break-up in S3. He can merely stutter in confusion, but when Eleanor wants to touch the baby he instinctively tries to protect the child in tugging at the blanket.
    12) We have the case of Fishy Finbar thrown in. I can’t remember too many patients actually being grateful for their diagnosis, so it’s a nice change for the Doc.
    13) Poor Buddy. It becomes clearer and clearer that this new woman at the farm simply doesn’t want him. I love the way AR casually tells Al to take the dog to Martin and he points out that she doesn’t pay him enough to do that. That’s right, Al, keep your ground.
    14) There are few scenes in this series when I’m with Louisa, but she is absolutely right to scold Martin when he shouts after his patient “Arse!”. Sorry, DM, this isn’t done, even less so in front of your son who might pick that up and you certainly won’t like it.
    Morwenna, however, is pretty stoic about it: “Who wants to give it a go, then?”:rolleyes:
    15) We are meant to love :rolleyes:Eleanor from the first moment on. Maybe that’s what’s making it hard to understand that Louisa doesn’t see what an unreliable, egoistic, manipulative woman her mother is. She quietly watches Louisa struggle to get the pram out of the house, and just as soon as LG succeeds she offers her help. Great timing. Thanks.
    16) On the way downhill into the village we get a first taste of Eleanor’s tactic. She blames Louisa for being estranged, as she didn’t want to move to Spain with her when they hardly knew each other anymore. Nice try.
    Then, when LG doesn’t seem to react the way she should, we throw some pity in (Eleanor’s lover died, what a shame).
    Step number three, we nurture LG’s dissatisfaction with her whole situation. Even the first time I saw this I wanted to shake some sense into LG. I thought it was highly unfair the way LG answered when her mother criticized Martin for not helping.
    “Martin is busy, you know. He has a lot of responsibilities.” – No, Louisa, he is helping a lot, as far as we can see. He is babysitting so that you can have an evening out. He is cooking and if he doesn’t do so he ends up with a corn cob. He starts surgery late so that you can go to the school meeting. He spends part of the night in the bloody car on the bloody moor so that you can get some sleep. Appreciate it! Tell your mother he is doing a lot to help!:mad:
    17) Mrs. T – the second. Her conversation with Eleanor is one of her best ever. She is actually quite witty and snappy here. She really gets into her top gear when Eleanor calls Martin “a total waste of space”. The throb in ST’s voice when she defends the Doc as one of the finest human beings she has ever met.
    Louisa, just look at that to learn how to defend your man!
    18) I agree with others who have pointed out that Louisa is just trying to provoke Martin during the corn cob meal. She is practically waiting for him to criticize one of the many things he’d have any right to address, but he is astonishingly patient. Maybe LG is completely frustrated and needs someone to bite his head off, but the Doc gives no reason whatsoever. What a shame.
    19) I had hopes for DM/LG when they are both worried when the child monitor goes silent and LG storms off, cob in her hand (why didn’t she put it on the plate, I wonder:confused:). “She’s my mother. I’ll be the one who doesn’t trust her.” Good one, but unfortunately LG didn’t mean it. As soon as Eleanor purrs “He just needed his grandma.” LG is buying it and relaxes visibly.
    20) Mrs. T – the third. Hers was the most seductive offer to babysit I’ve ever heard.
    21) I thought DM finally had enough and stood his ground in his own house when he shouted “Get out!” to Eleanor, but he covered it up in making it look as if he’d meant the dog. Sorry, but he had any right to throw her out of his own cottage, no matter if she’s LG’s mother. I’ve thrown people (family) out for less.
    “I don’t need your advice about child-raising.” Really, Eleanor? What do you know about it? When your daughter was eleven, you were already a stranger to her. Not the best reference. So you do know nothing about it. Besides, you’re a guest in the house, not the owner, so act like one!:mad:
    22) A very short scene, but I think it tells us a lot about Morwenna – eating the apple at the desk. DM forbids it, so she let the apple disappear into the drawer, just to continue nibbling at it as soon as he’s out of sight. She doesn’t want to confront him, she simply does what she wants. No fuss.
    23) Over and over again I’m astonished about the Doc’s patience with Eleanor for Louisa’s sake. “Take your shoes off my bed, please.”:confused: I can assure you, if someone puts his dirty shoes on my bed, he’d hear many words, but definitely not “please”.
    24) When DM discovers the alcohol in the bottle, I think he acts absolutely right. He hasn’t one of his temperamental outbursts, storming upstairs and leaving a bewildered LG as witness of a nasty scene. No, he calls LG, talks to her first, leading her to the right conclusion herself and then confronts Eleanor together with LG in a firm but acceptable way. So DM can consult LG, but I’m not sure she always notices.
    I also wondered about Eleanor’s “Never did you any harm.” So LG did get alcohol from her mother early on? Besides, is this comment an echo of the chicken coop incident?
    25) Another great Penhale moment: “Officer in need of assistance.”
    “…and some trousers.”:D
    26) I guess there can’t be any DM fan not loving the scene in the bedroom, when DM assures LG that the baby doesn’t show any sign of negative effect from the alcohol. LG is as honest about her feelings as she ever was. She openly tells Martin about her frustration about being disappointed, and he connects to that, strokes her cheek and tries in his own clumsy way to comfort her. It’s the second tender moment in one episode. That is rare. It’s even one of the few occasions in S5 that LG actually smiles.
    Then she promises to get rid of Eleanor. A promise she won’t keep.
    27) A big theme throughout the whole series is Martin’s childhood, and we catch a glimpse of that when AR comes to dinner. So in her and her brother’s view, children ought to be quiet, not wailing. It is encouraging that DM has moved forward and is not stuck in his family’s point of view.
    28) The end of this episode is probably the worst, even more so than the end of episode 6 when LG leaves. Eleanor is a downright bitch. Before LG even opens her mouth, Eleanor’s insinuation that LG comes to apologize puts doubts in LG’s mind. Then Eleanor turns all the facts around to make LG feel guilty and in the end even succeeds in making LG doing something she would feel guilty about. “Don’t tell Martin.”
    That’s just not the point. Her mother has full control over her now.

Congratulations - you may have just written the longest paragraph in the history of the forum. ;)
    Forum Member
    Congratulations - you may have just written the longest paragraph in the history of the forum. ;)

Sorry about that:o. As soon as you sit down with a pen to note everything you think is worth mentioning, you just realise how dense these episodes are. I can't even promise that I won't do it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I am not an experienced user of Photobucket, but I wanted to share some photos with you all. If you follow this link it should take you to a slideshow. You will probably need to enter the password "Portwenn".

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/poorrichard54/slideshow/Doc%20Martin%20photostream
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member

Nah, grasshopper.:D
This discussion has been closed.