Tories yet again dictate to future elected governments what they can and can't do

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The chancellor will announce later that he will attempt to bind future governments to maintaining a budget surplus when the economy is growing.
In his annual Mansion House speech on Wednesday, George Osborne will outline his plan to ensure governments run a surplus in "normal" times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33074500

Total control freaks.

So we have a situation where a government who could barely muster a majority, dictating to future governments who may well win by a landslide.

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any incoming government can just repeal it :confused:
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Any incoming government can just repeal it :confused:

Why should they have to.
  • johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you atleast tell us why it is such a bad thing jol rather that spouting your usual drivel
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Labour are the ones that have imposed austerity and cutbacks. Along with the Human Rights Act, massive EU immigration and many other policies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you atleast tell us why it is such a bad thing jol rather that spouting your usual drivel

You want me to tell you why a government who got in by the skin of its teeth, dictating to future far more democratic governments what they can and can't do, is a bad thing.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Why should they have to.

Having to repeal dodgy legislation by the last shower is part of the job description for any new government. The coalition had lots to get through (and failed on most of it).

Not that this is dodgy, it seems remarkably sensible by this lot's usual standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imposing such a fiscal rule on future government was neither feasible or desirable.

Yet more control freakery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want me to tell you why a government who got in by the skin of its teeth, dictating to future far more democratic governments what they can and can't do, is a bad thing.

No i want you to tell me why running a surplus would be bad.

It wasnt that long ago you were ranting on about labour winning and election with 35% of the vote which is hardly democratic now is it.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's as I heard it "don't borrow when you have a surplus" I would trust that all those Tory MPs who had mortgages, HP and other forms of debt before Osborne's diktat have paid off those debts.

It's not Victorian Values - as they built an Empire on debt, but Tudor era and before when the only option a King had when in debt was to kill a few Jews or Priests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    If it's as I heard it "don't borrow when you have a surplus" I would trust that all those Tory MPs who had mortgages, HP and other forms of debt before Osborne's diktat have paid off those debts.

Taking on debt and running a surplus can be done aslong as you can handle the payments.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    The chancellor will announce later that he will attempt to bind future governments to maintaining a budget surplus when the economy is growing.
    In his annual Mansion House speech on Wednesday, George Osborne will outline his plan to ensure governments run a surplus in "normal" times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33074500

Total control freaks.

So we have a situation where a government who could barely muster a majority, dictating to future governments who may well win by a landslide.

And what did you think when Brown suggested that they would legislate to do the same?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taking on debt and running a surplus can be done aslong as you can handle the payments.
    But as understand's Osborne's brainfunk (no doubt arising from an exceptionally fine Stilton), you wouldn't be able to take on debt if you had a surplus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But as understand's Osborne's brainfunk (no doubt arising from an exceptionally fine Stilton), you wouldn't be able to take on debt if you had a surplus.

Will take a read at what he is saying when i get home, i doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things as we will never pay of the debt we have atm.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is good that future governments will have to be serious about keeping the country in the black and not spend money that we havent got. That goes for all of us who will spend recklessly at the end of the year buying presents that we cant afford. It should also apply to MPs where austerity dont matter when it comes to awarding themselves pay rises that the country CANNOT afford
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    It is good that future governments will have to be serious about keeping the country in the black and not spend money that we havent got. That goes for all of us who will spend recklessly at the end of the year buying presents that we cant afford. It should also apply to MPs where austerity dont matter when it comes to awarding themselves pay rises that the country CANNOT afford

Sorry to burst your bubble but comparing the economy to a credit card is junk.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Still sore about the result I see.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will take a read at what he is saying when i get home, i doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things as we will never pay of the debt we have atm.
    To quote from the BBC link
    The plan would legally prevent future governments from spending more than they receive in tax revenue when the economy is growing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To quote from the BBC link

I beleive that is refering to just borrowing for the sake of saying paying welfare bills or wages in the public sector (bad debt) i doubt it would include borrowing to pay for large scale construction projects or military procurement (good debt). Anyway the media will pick this apart and we will learn more in the days to come
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will never work, just pointless posturing from Osborne
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if the nice Conservatives would spend some time in getting the economy growing rather than playing their endless political games?

Because that's all this stuff is about, making it hard for Labour.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what did you think when Brown suggested that they would legislate to do the same?

Exactly.

This is something they said they would do - it's in their manifesto. If they hadn't implemented it, Jol would be complaining about that, too.

Ridiculous thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I beleive that is refering to just borrowing for the sake of saying paying welfare bills or wages in the public sector (bad debt) i doubt it would include borrowing to pay for large scale construction projects or military procurement (good debt).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33079241
    "While running a budget surplus is a laudable aim, economic history shows that the national interest sometimes requires fiscal flexibility.
    "It is impossible to predict global economic conditions with any certainty, so no government should put itself into a fiscal straitjacket that limits its scope to respond.
    "Any move to constrain future spending should explicitly exclude infrastructure, which is an investment rather than just a cost.
    "Roads, railways, energy grids and broadband drive productivity and job creation - and it is time for government's contributions to national infrastructure to be removed from the debate on the deficit and the national debt.
    "Far too often, Britain's infrastructure needs have been sacrificed to short-term spending considerations. This must stop."
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to burst your bubble but comparing the economy to a credit card is junk.

Why ?
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a good idea but hope that within it there is a clause to allow parliament to vote on loosening the proposals based on a majority decision.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The size of the Governments majority is irrelevant. You keep spouting on about the majority as if you are really personally disturbed about it. A majority is a majority, the Conservatives won. A small majority is more powerful than a huge one because it allows the opposition to effectively keep them in check, so in reality it is harder for sensible policies to be overruled because questions from the public would be asked should the opposition vote against something that the voters see as reasonable and right. A large majority prevents scrutiny and laws just get passed regardless.

Jol, I don't mean to be rude, but I think you are suffering from some kind of obsessive disorder about the Tories. Rather than churning up anger inside of your mind day in, day out, why not go outside and feel the sun on your cheeks? Life is good! Go and live it!