Options

DIY SOS Big Build

kaob82kaob82 Posts: 276
Forum Member
Sorry couldn't see a thread on this, just switched on half way through what happened to the family?

Comments

• Options
    obriencobrienc Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Mum died of cancer, dad died of brain haemorrhage. I'm not even watching it properly but women folk in the house (and I) were filling up in the first 5 minutes.
    :cry:
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont normally watch these - find them a bit contrived and schmalzy but I am already blubbing and cant wait to see the family's faces!
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this lady their aunt then?
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I think she was a friend of the younger children's mum.
  • Options
    GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lady was the best friend of the one who died. She took on her kids after she died.
  • Options
    Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Just cried my eyes out at this. What an amazing woman, what wonderful children and what a fantastic result.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was she on her own, couldn't see a husband? What a fantastic woman.
  • Options
    kaob82kaob82 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    That woman was amazing, can't believe she is offered no support and was advised to quit her job and go on benefits. The system is so mucked up :(
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sal*UK wrote: »
    Just cried my eyes out at this. What an amazing woman, what wonderful children and what a fantastic result.

I didn't cry, but I felt nothing but admiration for this incredible lady. Those lads of hers are amazing. Brought up well, polite and frankly deserving of what the DIY SOS team did. Although they're older, their lives were disrupted and affected by the decision their mum made to adopt those five kids. Amazing family.
    Was she on her own, couldn't see a husband? What a fantastic woman.

There was no husband. But this lady refused state help and wanted to work 40 hours a week just to support those 8 kids. She truly is a credit and inspiration to society.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very impressed with how the entire family were so composed - normally these kind of programmes I'm sure are designed to squeeze a few tears out for the cameras - especially in such an emotionally-charged story as this, but each one of them was amazingly calm.

Julie is a truly inspiring woman, there are not many like her that's for sure. What an incredible family.

Over 500 people wrote to DIY SOS to request their help - she turned them down last year as she thought the publicity would be detrimental to the children, but as she couldnt get any help from anywhere else (mainly due to her decision to adopt rather than foster) this was their only chance. You are right kaob82 the system is so mucked up!
  • Options
    obriencobrienc Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I've just managed to dry out enough to do some research on the amazing Julie Jones.
    http://www.tescomagazine.com/mum-of-the-year/moty-blog/compassionate-mum-julie-jones.html
  • Options
    Nox_1Nox_1 Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I didn't cry, but I felt nothing but admiration for this incredible lady. Those lads of hers are amazing. Brought up well, polite and frankly deserving of what the DIY SOS team did. Although they're older, their lives were disrupted and affected by the decision their mum made to adopt those five kids. Amazing family.

The oldest of the three boys was only 14 I believe when she took on five extra children. I can't imagine how I would have felt at that age had my parents suddenly extended our family. What's more the boys slept in a tent whilst she reorganised the house to find everyone a bed.

I'm not normally moved by this sort of thing, but it didn't seem contrived in any way (apart from the swelling music) and I had a lump in my throat when they returned to the house and were overjoyed with the results.

I read that they had a grant application to build an extension turned down, so I was glad the BBC were able to step in and make a perfect home for them.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    obrienc wrote: »
    I've just managed to dry out enough to do some research on the amazing Julie Jones.
    http://www.tescomagazine.com/mum-of-the-year/moty-blog/compassionate-mum-julie-jones.html

I just read that what was on that link and even I started to fill up. I have just started to watch the DIY SOS Big Build now.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Nox_1 wrote: »
    The oldest of the three boys was only 14 I believe when she took on five extra children. I can't imagine how I would have felt at that age had my parents suddenly extended our family. What's more the boys slept in a tent whilst she reorganised the house to find everyone a bed.

I'm not normally moved by this sort of thing, but it didn't seem contrived in any way (apart from the swelling music) and I had a lump in my throat when they returned to the house and were overjoyed with the results.

I read that they had a grant application to build an extension turned down, so I was glad the BBC were able to step in and make a perfect home for them.
    Nick Knowes and his team, with the local Tradesmen and Women, did an amazing transformation on the House, a Truly deserving 'New' Family....one of the best I have seen.
  • Options
    PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have had a good idea of what was happening beforehand, because they would have needed Planning and Building Regs permissions - including converting shed to a habitable room, which was shown as a "surprise" addition.

Having said that - the Julie Jones is amazing.
  • Options
    bordersboybordersboy Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I do love watching this programme on an emotional level and also on a house design level I do feel some on the recent Big Builds have been done to people not fully deserving the transformation.

Last night's does not apply to that. What that woman did wase out of total love to her friend and she is an inspirational mother.

One of the best Builds there has been and what a beautiful house the family now has.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched any of these shows in ages and didn't know there was one on until I read this thread earlier so went and watched it on iplayer and have to say it was well deserved and what a great woman she is..what lovely children too..I was so pleased for them all
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    This episode was just shown on BBC Scotland, would just like to add to the above sentiments about a wonderful program for such a lovely family.