Options

windows 10

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
i am waiting to buy a new laptop.. i do not want windows 8.. so does anyone know when the new windows 10 is being released? and how long after it is out.. should i buy one?
thanks..

Comments

• Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Some say June others September/October, which is more likely. Truth is the exact date is not known, a lot is dependent on how the developer programme pans out.
    You won't get windows 8 now, it's moved on to W8.1 and there is no real reason not to get that, it will be updated to 10, for free, when it does come out.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not buy a PC with 8.1 now - it is a lot better than many of the doom merchants say. Pay £5 and add a start menu and you can use it in desktop mode which is practically same as Windows 7.

The best bit is that Windows 10 comes out later this year (don't know when) you will get a free upgrade to Windows 10. That is guaranteed for at least one year, so you could wait a couple of months or so for any teething troubles to be supported. The latest preview version of W10 is being tested by many thousands of persons and general consensus it is quite stable, so I do not anticipate too many issues for normal users.

Edit: another poster beat me to it (phone rang :-)) but says basically same as me.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess would be a 6 months to a year for Windows 10 Laptops to appear in stores in numbers, however since it is so similar (supposedly) to Windows 8.1 there is no point in waiting. You don't dodge Windows 8.1 features by going to Windows 10.

Windows 8.1 has the familiar Desktop there is no need for any add on.

I would however ensure you get one with Windows 8.1 and not Windows 8. There are still a lot of Windows 8 Laptops about.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you can get a deal on a W8 laptop, or the spec on one takes your fancy.

Update to W8.1 is free and will be to W10 too.

Classic Shell is free, if you want it.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-windows-8-start-menu-replacement.htm
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am waiting to buy a new laptop.. i do not want windows 8.. so does anyone know when the new windows 10 is being released? and how long after it is out.. should i buy one?
    thanks..

Windows 8.1 is not too bad these days, it seems reliable and pretty speedy. If you can't get on with the start screen, then as other people have put, you can get a start menu, like Classic shell for free. I start is back, but that is not free.

Have you seen Windows 10? it is not that good, it do not like my Scanner and it is not fond of my Wi-fi Adaptor.

The start menu is awful, it can not even resize and it takes half the screen up, and their are incompatibility problems with some software.

Ok it is early days and things may improve, we will wait and see, but get your laptop, if it have Windows 8, which I doubt these days, you can update for free to 8.1, then if you really want to, you will be able to update to 10 free of charge also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Windows 8.1 is not too bad these days, it seems reliable and pretty speedy. If you can't get on with the start screen, then as other people have put, you can get a start menu, like Classic shell for free. I start is back, but that is not free.

Have you seen Windows 10? it is not that good, it do not like my Scanner and it is not fond of my Wi-fi Adaptor.

The start menu is awful, it can not even resize and it takes half the screen up, and their are incompatibility problems with some software.

Ok it is early days and things may improve, we will wait and see, but get your laptop, if it have Windows 8, which I doubt these days, you can update for free to 8.1, then if you really want to, you will be able to update to 10 free of charge also.
    It seems a totally pointless exercise complaining about W10. It's not even 'early days'. It's in developer preview, so point your comments to MS to help make W10 better.
    Whining about the things you have problems with makes no sense at this point in the game..Either assist the programme or stay away until it's actually finished. You have no idea what will and won't make it to the final version.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Actually, you can resize the start-menu with a simple registry change.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/bring-back-the-resizable-start-menu-in-windows-10-build-9926/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like my W10
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the current advice, decision is on the fence yet...
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    If you buy a windows 8.1 laptop before windows 10 is released, the upgrade to windows 10 will surely be free
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you buy a windows 8.1 laptop before windows 10 is released, the upgrade to windows 10 will surely be free

Microsoft have already said it will be a free upgrade for anyone using Windows 7 or newer during the first year of its release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They haven't specified the details and I won't believe the free offer until it's in black and white.
    They clammed up on exact details immediately after making the announcement.

Try and download a 'free' replacement copy of W7 with an OEM or Pre-installed License key, since the Digital River closedown.

Free in that case refers to W7 Retail Customers only.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope MS spell out exactly what the Windows 10 price will be when the 12 months is up. There's a lot of folk who don't like 8.1, and will be tempted by the 'free' 10 upgrade. If MS start playing silly beggars with the price in 1 yr, who's going to want to downgrade back to 8.1 (if it's even possible) ? As R of L said - legit Windows 7 iso's are no longer an option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quote from Terry Myerson at the launch..
    This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet
    They have repeated that on several occasions. Anyone upgrading after that initial year will have to pay for it... I'd rather be glass half full on this and not join in the conspiracy theories.
    I'm guessing though that you won't be able to transfer your copy of W10 to another device should/when your original one goes west. So, not everyone will be happy..(Are they ever with MS??;-))