Options

Shutter Island - new Scorcese film trailer

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this as it is based on a novel by Dennis Lehane who also wrote Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone (as well as 3 episodes of The Wire).
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant book, hope the film lives up to it, the trailer looks very good..good casting though....Max Von Sydow always plays a good role...
  • Options
    LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cnat wait for this

I Love Leo :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Comes out next week :D:D:

Looks brill. I can't WAIT for this.

It better be good!!!!!!
  • Options
    caren197caren197 Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been looking forward to this for a while, was so disappointed it got put back til next week but it should be a good movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait to see this film, hopefully can see it next friday :)
  • Options
    hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been looking forward to this one for ages.

Hope it lives up to expectations
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    It's SUPERB. If you like the look of the trailer, you'll very likely adore the movie. Very different to what Scorsese's been up to recently, but in the best possible way.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    After finishing reading the book and then watching the film last nite the film butchered the book, cut out a whole mystery and changed it quite a bitthey edited out alot of reasoning to the mystery of the film, obviously there was to be cuts as its only a 2 hour film but they could have just made it an half hour longer and explained some stuff, I was worried that it wasn't going to make sense. The book was a brilliant read, the film was alrite.

If you havn't read the book you'll probably enjoy the film more, but to those that have read the book don't bother with the film, you'll be let down.
  • Options
    alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG - just saw this while on holiday in Las Vegas - terrible - should be called Shi**er Island!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's SUPERB. If you like the look of the trailer, you'll very likely adore the movie. Very different to what Scorsese's been up to recently, but in the best possible way.

SOOOOOOOOOOO excited.

Going tonight!!!!

Looks bloody terrifying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyG wrote: »
    SOOOOOOOOOOO excited.

Going tonight!!!!

Looks bloody terrifying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

let us know what you think :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    let us know what you think :)

I will do :)
  • Options
    littlemolittlemo Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm off to see it this afternoon, hope its not too scary as I'm going to see this one on my own!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked it. I suppose it was a bit predictable what was going on (I predicted it anyway!) but I thought it was put together really well. I suppose if you expect certain things, then it's not going to live up to that, but if you take it for what it is, it's good. That might not make sense, but I'm trying not to give away any spoliers!

It looked fantastic too, visually.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this today and whilst it was a good movie, that was all i felt. Good film but nothing special. It was acted and directed brilliantly but being a Scorcese picture you wouldn't expect anything less. Like a previous poster mentioned visually the film looked amazing.

All in all i was expecting to be blown away but i think my expectation was too high and i also guessed what the twist was
    with the main character
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Trailer looked very interesting :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I seen it tonight. It was very slow to start and I was starting to get bored; a couple on frot of us walked out!

Then it picked up and began getting interesting. I am not a massive fan of the dream excuse and I was honestly expecting that to be the conclusion, but the end cleared it up for me.

It was a decent film to watch. Nothing extra special, but it got better as it progressed.

One question...
    When he regressed at the end, was that meant to be a genuine regression or was he purposefully saying that to 'trick' the shrink because of his guilt? Or... was it genuine and he was being taken for a lobotomy anyway?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should hve been seeing this tonight, but going next week know. And as if by magic thiers an advert on tv for it as i type.

Really cant wait :)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was preposterous. Scorsese directs it superbly; without giving any spoilers away, he ramps up the paranoia until the audience is a bunch of stressed-out wrecks, then reveals the twist. Along the way he does a great job of simulating a migraine and plays some of the most threatening music ever composed. Very loudly.

But the twist is both guessable and disappointing, and the explanation that follows is barely credible. It's worth seeing, but no masterpiece.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seen it tonight. It was very slow to start and I was starting to get bored; a couple on frot of us walked out!

Then it picked up and began getting interesting. I am not a massive fan of the dream excuse and I was honestly expecting that to be the conclusion, but the end cleared it up for me.

It was a decent film to watch. Nothing extra special, but it got better as it progressed.

One question...
    When he regressed at the end, was that meant to be a genuine regression or was he purposefully saying that to 'trick' the shrink because of his guilt? Or... was it genuine and he was being taken for a lobotomy anyway?

In my eyes i think it was genuine.
    He was a goner at the end.

And like the previous poster mentioned i couldn't believe how loud some of that music was! Very threatening and menacing indeed!
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant. I had no idea what to expect and I loved it.

Loved the set, the idea, the cast etc.

I guessed the twist quite early on but I still enjoyed it and the extra parts of the twist were quite enjoyable to watch.

Nice to see how it was all wrapped up.
    The dead children in the lake scene was horrible to watch and just the most painful, haunting thing imaginable. The packed cinema was in complete silence.

As for the ending...
    I personally felt he was faking it and just wanted to end it all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It wasn't the dead kids in the lake which affected me... it was the dead people at the concentration camp which made me feel a bit... Queasy

Films with concentration camps always make me feel a bit funny because I am really interested, yet sickened by what they are/were.

Speaking of which, this film is seemingly based on Nazi (and others) war experimentation
    although we know it's not actually reality in this case
    . Reading about such experiments freaked me out big style.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Just back from the cinema.

I saw ads for this last summer in USA, and read the book a few weeks ago in anticipation. Lehane at his best.

The film was much what would be expected from Scorcese, and brilliant acting from di Caprio. The book goes into greater detail, and is more chilling than the film. Obviously a 2 hour film can't include every little detail, but some clues to the twist were totally left out. I also thought the twist was quite obvious from early on in the film ..... ?

Very atmospheric and as others have said, the music makes your heart beat a tad faster !

Enjoyable evening out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just saw it tonight, enjoyed it, but like some of the other posters have said it wasn't "amazing", merely "Great". I say that as someone who loves all of the previous Scorsese films too. It was a very enjoyable film though, don't get me wrong.

However, my enjoyment of the film may have been hampered by the gibbering morons that were in my cinema though, who felt the need to laugh at inappropriate moments (the repetition of "Why are you so wet?" is apparently hilarious!:rolleyes: Granted, when Ben Kingsley said it it was, but not every f*cking time...) and ridicule the film for no apparent reason, voicing their opinions loudly in the hope that other audience members would agree with them. I don't mean to sound "snobbish", but the whole film clearly went over their heads...