Doctor Who 3D in DD5.1 on all platforms

derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Confirmed this morning that Doctor Who 3D will be broadcast with DD5.1 sound on Freeview, Sky, Virgin and Freesat.
And, in answer to your question @popeye, I'm delighted to confirm that The Day of the Doctor in 3D will indeed be broadcast in surround sound. BBC Red Button HD will be Dolby 5.1 from c. 6pm this evening until it closes. That applies across DTT, satellite and Virgin Media. This is possible now partially because The Day of the Doctor is a pre-record (live events are harder) and also because we have made some short-term changes to our configurations that give us the extra bitrate we needed. I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Taking-the-Doctor-to-the-next-dimension

Channel numbers for 3D are:-

Freeview 303

Sky 977

Virgin 994

Freesat 980

Comments

• Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the regular HD feed will have surround sound, or just the 3D channel?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the regular HD feed will have surround sound, or just the 3D channel?

The regular feed will also be 5.1
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent! I couldn't see why it wouldn't be, but I thought I'd check...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2D or 3D the sound will be so good. I hope the Testcard might include the Audio Test for those of you with HD for that helps.
  • arista_tibb7arista_tibb7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Confirmed this morning that Doctor Who 3D will be broadcast with DD5.1 sound on Freeview, Sky, Virgin and Freesat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Taking-the-Doctor-to-the-next-dimension

Freeview 303

Sky 977

Virgin 994

Freesat 980

Thanks for the Sky number
    I will record it in 5.1, 3-D
  • arista_tibb7arista_tibb7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member

Freeview 303

Sky 977

Virgin 994

Freesat 980

Thanks for the Sky number
    I will record it in 5.1, 3-D
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    You're welcome :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member

Freeview 303

Sky 977

Virgin 994

Freesat 980

Watching a recording of the BBC 1 HD broadcast now on BT Vision, coming through as 'stereo' on my amp :confused:
    Forum Member
    Does BT TV output DD5.1 through HDMI or do you have the BT TV box hooked into the amp via optical / toslink cable?
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Does BT TV output DD5.1 through HDMI or do you have the BT TV box hooked into the amp via optical / toslink cable?

Via optical. I can get DD5.1 on C4 and BT Sport?
    Forum Member
    Hm, thats odd then that you got only 2.0 Stereo.
    I remember on the BBC blog page that it was stated 5.1 will be on ALL platform, that includes DTT which BT TV uses.
    Forum Member
    I remember on the BBC blog page that it was stated 5.1 will be on ALL platform, that includes DTT which BT TV uses.

Yeah, just double checked with an earlier recording of the Big Bang Theory on C4, definately DD on that. I have noticed fewer DD5.1 broadcasts on my BT Vision box compared to my Humax PVR since switching boxes, I had just assumed that was coincidence? Maybe not.
    Forum Member
    I can only imagine it was BBC not feeding in the DD 5.1 onto the DTT stream.
    Shame really...
    Forum Member
    Shame really...

I don't know what a DTT stream is? Would a Humax HD Freeview box get a different stream?
    Forum Member
    Vialli wrote: »
    I don't know what a DTT stream is? Would a Humax HD Freeview box get a different stream?

No, they use the same channel.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BT Vision boxes aren't Freeview HD are they? Don't the HD PSBs come via IPTV?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame really...

DTT was indeed 5.1, and a glorious mix it was too. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Vision boxes aren't Freeview HD are they? Don't the HD PSBs come via IPTV?

They need an aerial connection for DTT services apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    They need an aerial connection for DTT services apparently.

For the SD DTT channels, but they don't have a DVB-T2 tuner so any HD content is delivered over the internet.

BT YouView boxes do have Freeview HD tuners.

On another not, shame the BBC One announcer didn't even mention the 3D broadcast or where to find it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the SD DTT channels, but they don't have a DVB-T2 tuner so any HD content is delivered over the internet.

Ah, thanks for that.
    On another not, shame the BBC One announcer didn't even mention the 3D broadcast or where to find it.
    Yes, that was a rather odd omission.
    Forum Member

So is there a technical reason why I didn't get DD5.1 via the BT Vision box? Now that I think about it I don't recall any BBC HD programmes coming through in 5.1. Definitely comes through on C4 and BT Sport :confused:
    Forum Member
    This is actually quite annoying, means I have to 'source' a DD5.1 copy of Doctor Who.

Could my amp be the problem? It is getting on a bit but I can get C4 and BT Sport in DD5.1.

Would BBC HD 1 use a different codec?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vialli wrote: »
    This is actually quite annoying, means I have to 'source' a DD5.1 copy of Doctor Who.
    Yes, you can "source" a copy from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Anniversary-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B00F37VHPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385295255&sr=8-1&keywords=day+of+the+doctor+blu-ray ;)

Not until the 2nd December though.
    Could my amp be the problem? It is getting on a bit but I can get C4 and BT Sport in DD5.1.
    The issue would appear to be that the BBC IPTV stream as emitted is simply a stereo feed. I would have thought that the codec would be the same (but I have no real insight in that area).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The issue would appear to be that the BBC IPTV stream as emitted is simply a stereo feed. I would have thought that the codec would be the same (but I have no real insight in that area).

I would say that's correct. There's no DD sound on any of the iPlayer streams that I've come across.

Even though there is DD via Sky's on demand service for their own and other third party channels' content, the BBC programmes are always just stereo.
    Forum Member
    So I have taken on the BT Vision subscription to get BT Sport and I can't get BBC HD on DD5.1?

That is ridiculous.