EU election , ballot paper confusion ?

Comments

• GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Don't malign they elderly - they might have aged they haven't lost their marbles.

Only an illiterate fool would put the X in the wrong box.

Maybe a few have lost some of the milk of human kindness........?
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't malign they elderly - they might have aged they haven't lost their marbles.

only an illiterate fool would spell the X wrong, as well.:D

And i agree, don't malign the elderly, they tend to be age group that vote the most.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    The electoral commission would never allow A Labour party or A Conservative party. If UKIP lose by a narrow margin, this party's votes will be counted.

Counted for whom? UKIP?:confused:
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    So they can cause some bother in the EU parliament, meanwhile the most pro-EU party, the Lib Dems, look to be heading for a near wipeout. ;-)

What 'bother' are they aiming to cause?

Are they not going to work for their electorate who put them there?
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What confuses me is why UKIP are trying so hard to get MEP's, I thought they wanted the UK to leave the EU.

They will have a lot more say on what goes on if they have MEPs then if they do not.

I'd much rather have a UKIP MEP than anyone else.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    What 'bother' are they aiming to cause?

Are they not going to work for their electorate who put them there?

Withdrawal bother. If you vote for UKIP it is reasonable to assume you must want out of the EU.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Withdrawal bother. If you vote for UKIP it is reasonable to assume you must want out of the EU.

How are they going to get a withdrawl from the EU by working as MEPs?

Maybe you vote for UKIP for their other policies?
    Maybe you want a privatised NHS, or a flat rate of tax for all?
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose I am being paranoid, but what if this party was set up by activists from one of the main party's or the media and is just a front to siphon off votes from UKIP.

A few week ago I would have said that was ridiculous, but now I am not so sure.
    Elyan wrote: »
    You may well be right.

They are that desperate.

Apart from the fact that it is headed by a former UKIP MEP, and its only elected representatives defected from UKIP, that idea seems completely plausible.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    How are they going to get a withdrawl from the EU by working as MEPs?

You aren't unless the majority of the EU parliament is made up of MEPs who do.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that it is headed by a former UKIP MEP, and its only elected representatives defected from UKIP, that idea seems completely plausible.

UK Politics is a small and machiavellian world.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Nice to see you have such a high opinion of your fellow Ukipers if you think they are that easily fooled.

To be fair UKIP and Nigel Farage himself pointed out this issue on twitter this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    UK Politics is a small and machiavellian world.

Sales of tinfoil must be doing very well.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

And i agree, don't malign the elderly, they tend to be age group that vote the most.

Wrongly to be pedantic.:) The adverb describes the verb in this case wrongly and spell.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What confuses me is why UKIP are trying so hard to get MEP's, I thought they wanted the UK to leave the EU.

I suppose it's the same reason why the SNP and other nationalist parties want to have MPs at Westminster.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just voted . First thing I noticed , at the very top of the ballot paper ,
    An Independance from Europe party .
    Because of the A in An , it guarantees them at the top of the paper .
    How many people would be confused and think that is UKIP and put a cross in that box ?
    I would say a lot of people could make that mistake , especially the ederly .

Me thinks the Labour party have missed a trick here, they could've/should've changed their name on the ballot paper to the Absolutely no policies on Europe party:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you only have to show intent in terms of your mark.

Having been to some election counts, although many years ago now, I've seen all kinds of crosses, ticks, circles and squiggles in boxes. As long is it is clearly against one name, they allow it.

One ballot paper even included a handwritten note showing support for a local GP and that they wanted his/her vote to go to them instead - I think that got binned ;-)

If it was a close run thing, which it can be in marginal seats, then the candidates and their teams (who watch the count like hawks) wouldn't be happy if ballot papers with ticks rather than crosses were not being counted.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My European ballot paper said "mark in order of preference" :confused:
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    http://order-order.com/2014/05/22/electoral-commission-investigating-folded-ukip-ballot-papers/
    If UKIP supporters can't work out how to unfold a bit of paper, then maybe they shouldn't be allowed to vote.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I am being paranoid, but what if this party was set up by activists from one of the main party's or the media and is just a front to siphon off votes from UKIP.

A few week ago I would have said that was ridiculous, but now I am not so sure.
    It is former UKIP mep Mike Nattrass and his party. Mike Nattrass had a falling out with Farage and was not slected to stand for UKIP so he setup his own anti EU party.

The placement and strapline of his party I think is deliberately designed to snare UKIP voters into voting for his party in error. And due to UKIP being far below on the ballot paper, especially if contrary to the rules the ballot paper is handed to the voter folded.

An Independence From Europe
    UK Independence Now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Northern Ireland must be using some kind of PR system then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Different system used in Northern Ireland.
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be interesting to set up in the General Election as A Labour Party or A Conservative Party.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    As has been the case since 1999, the election is conducted in a total of 12 electoral regions: using the regional Party-list proportional representation system, in each of the government's nine English regions, Scotland and Wales, but the Single transferable vote system in Northern Ireland.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)
    No need for confusion, just understand which voting system you have
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The superior system :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The whole of the UK (and the EU) is using a PR system. Northern Ireland are using a different form of it.