Options

Pillars of Eternity

Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
Forum Member
Its released in a couple of hours. I've been on a news black out but i did read this spoiler free review and it sounds like its gong to be awesome.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/26/pillars-of-eternity-review/

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    So much to do. A great game so far!
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Only played for a couple of hours so far. If anyone loved the likes of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or Planetscape Torment (I still have the originals of all of those - blimey, Baldur's Gate came on a lot of CDs) then they will love this new game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Only played for a couple of hours so far. If anyone loved the likes of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or Planetscape Torment (I still have the originals of all of those - blimey, Baldur's Gate came on a lot of CDs) then they will love this new game.

It sure did. Now it comes on a download.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So tempted to buy it...

Can you guys tell me your thoughts after a day or two of playing please? xD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So tempted to buy it...

Can you guys tell me your thoughts after a day or two of playing please? xD

It is a work of art. There are not many games that are pretty and interactive. I have done some cooking and made potions. So far I have done two puzzles. There are so many things to do. I got my first pet, a black dog.

One of my mates who also uses Steam wanted me to broadcast the game for him.

You need a good memory as you need certain tools in certain areas which I could not find. I guess that is where the "notes" tab comes in handy, so you can revisit on the map.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic game

nuff said
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12hrs in, +3 benevolent, just wiped out the Doemenel family. Am feeling slightly conflicted. But they sent assassins after me. I guess I won't be joining that faction.. Think I'm only on Act2 as well.

I'm liking it.. It's old-school RPG, ie no annoying QTE events, no quest trails & handholding. There are also things you can encounter early on that will happily hand you your posterior on a platter. It's natures way of telling you climbing down the sacrificial pit probably wasn't your smartest idea. Especially as there are very few ways to heal..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent game. I did wonder if i would enjoy all the reading, but its so well done most of the time that its great.

The only thing i would improve is the slightly messy combat. I think i have been spoiled by the razor-tight tactical combat from Divinity: Original Sin.
  • Options
    Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarely game on PC these days, but this is precisely the type of release that could lure me back. Seems it's heavily influenced by the great Baldurs Gate series, which if anyone's interested is available on Android.

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Google Play
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I'm dying......alot.

About 5 hours of gameplay for me so far, I need to take things a bit more steady it seems because i'm struggling against large groups of enemies.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    How are you approaching groups?

Charging in is basically going to get you nowhere, I even got my whole party massacred by a group of boars using that tactic :D

Not sure what party members you have but Durance is really helpful with his healing spells during a fight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I'm hope this game will keep me busy untill the witcher 3 comes out:D
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Its released in a couple of hours. I've been on a news black out but i did read this spoiler free review and it sounds like its gong to be awesome.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/26/pillars-of-eternity-review/

Got it and have been playing it pretty much every spare minute since. This takes me right back to Baldur's Gate, staying up until 1 or 2am because I just had to return to somewhere and turn in a quest.
    Am absolutely loving it, real old style cRPG with some great story telling and micro management for combat which you can either tweak to your heart's content or just leave and let the AI get on with it.
    He4rt wrote: »
    I'm dying......alot.

About 5 hours of gameplay for me so far, I need to take things a bit more steady it seems because i'm struggling against large groups of enemies.

Have you picked up any companions or built yourself a couple of custom adventurers yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Have you picked up any companions or built yourself a couple of custom adventurers yet?

Yup, i have a party of 5 currently (6 if you include the rangers dog) just got into Caed Nua and recruited Kana. Maerwald kicks my ass...everytime. And if he doesn't that huge spider does on the same section. I'm going to go back to the Black Meadow to have a go and getting some level ups, and maybe equipt my team with better gear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Yup, i have a party of 5 currently (6 if you include the rangers dog) just got into Caed Nua and recruited Kana. Maerwald kicks my ass...everytime. And if he doesn't that huge spider does on the same section. I'm going to go back to the Black Meadow to have a go and getting some level ups, and maybe equipt my team with better gear.

Oh.. I hated him. Mainly cos it's a scripted event that means you're sucked into combat out of position. Which meant my squishiest party members (including me) got squished first.. I usually run with a custom formation so my tanks are out front (Eder, pub fighter, my antelope) and rangers leading the rear. So me, Aloth and I think Durance.

Durance started living longer after I took his stick off him and gave him an arbalest. Then he stopped charging into certain death and got a bit more useful.

So for Maerwald, after dieing a few times I figured a tactical withdrawl was in order. Soon as the combat starts, flee the room and back down the corridor. He doesn't follow. So head back to the doorway in formation, have tanks block the door and ranged fighters unload arbalests + spells into robe-wearing wizzie. Who can then start his new afterlife in a porcupine fancy dress.

I think my character is perhaps more benevolent than I am..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    How are you approaching groups?

Charging in is basically going to get you nowhere, I even got my whole party massacred by a group of boars using that tactic :D

Not sure what party members you have but Durance is really helpful with his healing spells during a fight.

Doing a lot better now. Did a few side quests and sorted my team out. I was rushing in before, all close ranged weapons with hardly any spell casters. Now i have a team of 6 with 2 close ranged, a couple ranged and another couple that concentrate on buffers, healing spells and ranged magic.I'm still finding some encounters difficult, but the practice has helped a lot. I'm about 8 hours in and i'm way behind some other people around the same time frame(iv'e not long since got my first stronghold) This is mostly because iv'e been taking things slowly, talking to villagers, reading the books i find and trying different options with some of my party.

I'd just like to add that i think this is my GOTY so far. It's fantastic. And this coming from someone who wasn't a big fan of the Baldurs gate games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So for Maerwald, after dieing a few times I figured a tactical withdrawl was in order. ..

This is exactly how i managed to take him down. His magic would cripple most of my party early on in the skirmish, but i tried to withdraw as soon as i could. In the end just two of my remaining party managed to floor him by pummeling him with ranged fire.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be picking this up at sometime this week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maerwold was easy. Readric on the other hand was nearly impossible....
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm avoiding him atm :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That one I think is also about positioning. And target selection. And countering years of pro-wizard propaganda (I'm looking at you Harry).

So like life, it's about choices. You have a heavily armored target with lots of health but not much damage vs a single target. You also have a guy/gal wearing a frock who has a lot less health and a book for protection. But if you let him/her speak, they can do a lot of nasty things to you and your mates. Or just be really annoying and heal the guy in the tin can.

But you also have..

The strongest windlass-pulled arbalests could have up to 22 kN (5000 lbf) of force and be accurate up to 300 m

This is more than enough to usually deal with any cloth wearing bookworm with delusions of grandeur, or a long life. And my party has 2 arbalest wielders and Kana with an arquebus. Which is usually enough to stop enemy spell-chuckers mid-chant. So basically figuring out which enemy is the biggest threat and then terminating them with extreme prejudice.

(And I'm up to +4 benevolent!)

However, no strategy is perfect, I've made it to Act III and am having fun (in the Dwarf Fortress sense) trying to collect a bounty on Nalrend the Wise.. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Love it. Looks like baldurs gate or smth like that) Want to buy it soon