Water V other drinks

Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been advised to drink up to 2 litres of water per day. I do not like water. What can I drink instead?. Is there really benefits from plain water?

Comments

• diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Which idiot advised you to drink two litres of water per day?

It is a myth that you need that much and has been debunked many times. Unless you are doing a walk across the Sahara.

Drink a reasonable amount, tea and coffee are nearly as good as plain water, contrary to what the silly myth says. If you never get genuinely thirsty you are drinking enough.
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drink very dilute squash, about 25% of what they advise, just enough to flavour the water.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    diablo wrote: »

It is a myth that you need that much and has been debunked many times. Unless you are doing a walk across the Sahara.

Drink a reasonable amount, tea and coffee are nearly as good as plain water, contrary to what the silly myth says. If you never get genuinely thirsty you are drinking enough.

Two to three litres of fluid a day is the standard recommendation. Where has this been debunked?

OP, I also add squash to my water, very diluted, like Red Whine.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »

Caffeine based drinks are not the best way to hydrate your body and if you were walking across the Sahara you would need far more than 2ltrs a day.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drinking plenty of water is meant to be good for your skin, your digestion, and it doesn't add any calories or artificial stuff to your daily intake. I drink close to 3 litres a day, just from the tap and then filtered with a Brita jug. Bottled water isn't necessary unless you're taking some on the go.

You can add a slice of lemon if you don't like plain water.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    Two to three litres of fluid a day is the standard recommendation. Where has this been debunked?

For example -

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/11/20/3633741.htm

There is a lot of water in what we consume normally as food, plus beer and other beverages.

Caffeine and alcohol have a diuretic effect if you don't use them regularly but if you do then they are as good as any other water source.

Consuming water in excess of your needs probably does no harm though.

The mechanisms of the body aren't as stupid as the bottled water sellers suggest, if you start to feel moderately thirsty then go have a drink. Don't down litres of the stuff and admire how clear your urine is 15 times a day. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    There are loads of squashes out there..i get loads lol

strawberry and kiwi , peach, peach and apricot, ribena--apple and blackcurrant, strawberry fruits, orange--orange/pineapple, orange/mango..( i try to buy loads and mix up a fruity drink..nice..fill the fridge up with drinks and just grab one on a hot day
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Caffeine based drinks are not the best way to hydrate your body and if you were walking across the Sahara you would need far more than 2ltrs a day.

The diuretic effects of caffeine drinks are minimal when considering the volumes of water you are consuming while drinking them.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly drink 1.5 litres of water during a round of golf (4hours) around three times per week - especially in the current climate.
    Then I top it up with a Kronenbourg :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I've seen what developing kidney stones does to a person so I drink 2 litres of water a day (more if it's hot or I've been to the gym). Plus, the effect it has on your skin is fantastic. :D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    The diuretic effects of caffeine drinks are minimal when considering the volumes of water you are consuming while drinking them.

All I said was they weren't the best way to hydrate your body. Personally I don't find coffee particularly thirst quenching, but that's just me :)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    All I said was they weren't the best way to hydrate your body.
    I think they're a good a way as any + if it's good tea it will have antioxidants in as well.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three litres a day is insane unless you eat only freeze dried foods.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Three litres a day is insane unless you eat only freeze dried foods.

Perhaps there is a medical reason why the OP needs to drink so much? Perhaps we should wait and see eh?

I suffer from recurrent UTI's so drink water like it's going out of fashion.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I drank 2 lts of water a day for a while and felt a lot better.

It is probably best to drink 1.5 lts as water if you drink other drinks as well (such as tea or squash).
  • Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice folks. I was given this advice by Doctors, after 3 months illness
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    AilsaMoo wrote: »
    I've seen what developing kidney stones does to a person so I drink 2 litres of water a day (more if it's hot or I've been to the gym). Plus, the effect it has on your skin is fantastic. :D

Very true, I've been drinking a couple of litres a day for a couple of months now and reakon its cured my gout.