Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you:cool: absolutely love it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is an interesting article about the (in)eligibility of Skyfall

Even though the song is set to officially debut tomorrow, I imagine most interested parties have already heard the leaked portion of Adele's new Bond tune, "Skyfall." (UPDATE: The song is available now.) One of the cooler elements of the track is that it incorporates the original Monty Norman "Dr. No" theme that became, of course, the signature Bond melody. But while it's a nifty nod, it also might have done the song in where Oscar is concerned.

The rules are relatively clear about this. Per rule 15, category I B: "An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture." The bold is the Academy's, not mine. So judging by that, just having that lingering bit of melody from the classic music is potentially enough to keep it out of contention.

That puts a slight dent in Greg Ellwood's theory that the category is set to be dominated by popular songstresses like Adele, Florence Welch and Katy Perry. Though, respectfully, I never really thought it would be, and if anything has been proven over the last few years (which have seen the eligible songs presented in context to voters rather than just sent on a CD or something), it's the song or the artist itself isn't the thing. Just ask Bruce Springsteen.

Yes, this year the rules were changed to allow for these to be viewed on DVD (as well as to guarantee a full slate of five nominees), but while that might widen the net of those who'll be doing the actual viewing (since they don't have to hoof it to a special screening in New York or Los Angeles), it still doesn't change HOW the songs are being observed and, therefore, considered. So closing credits tracks will, as always, face an uphill battle. (And they rarely were nominated even previous to the rule change a few years back.)

But that's neither here nor there. Adele's song, which is admittedly awesome, faces a roadblock here. The letter of the law, if you will, rules it out. And in any case, it's always tough for a Bond song, regardless of artist. After all, the franchise has only produced three nominees over the years: "Live and Let Die" from same, "Nobody Does it Better" from "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "For Your Eyes Only" from same.

Meanwhile, I don't even think the Florence + the Machine song from "Snow White and the Huntsman" ("Breath of Life") ever had much of a shot (closing credits and, even as a fan of the artist, I can't say much for the song), nor Katy Perry's from "Katy Perry: Part of Me" ("Wide Awake"). For a variety of reasons, I'd say the deck is stacked against them.

The songs from "Brave" will be worth watching, as will some of the stuff from "Lawless," I think. But in all likelihood, this will end up being an easy one to call, as the Hugh Jackman-belted "Suddenly" from "Les Misérables" will be formidable, I imagine.

We'll dig in more on the Best Original Song race in a month or two when more tracks have bubbled up and the Academy prepares to release the full list of eligible contenders. Watch for a future installment of "Tech Support" to cover all bases.

UPDATE: We reached out to Sony Pictures for comment. After contacting the Academy, a rep offered the expected: "The song will be submitted to the Academy as all songs are. They will determine the eligibility and let us know."

source
    http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/will-the-use-of-the-original-bond-theme-on-skyfall-disqualify-adeles-original-song-contender
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele + James Bond = ORGASM!!!!:cool:

promo clip Skyfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEMofn6-UNQ&feature=player_embedded
  • Options
    BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many would Adele need to sell to become no. 1 on Sunday? Could it be done?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great song. Very reminiscent of Shirley Bassey. Adele's got soul. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigDuck wrote: »
    How many would Adele need to sell to become no. 1 on Sunday? Could it be done?

My guess is 120,000. I may be wrong though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it :D though as I'ms sure with most Adele songs I will grow to resent it once they start playing it to death on the radio :(

Not entirely sure it's a classic (only time will tell on that one) but one things for certain, it's easily the best bond theme tune we've had in recent years,:)
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant track, a classic Bond theme.

(Coming not from an Adele 'STAN', but someone who listens to Metallica, Iron Maiden and Guns N' Roses!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New assumptions about the revealing lyrics and James Bond
    from James Bond forum

The has already been supposition around M being revealed as Bonds Mother and whilst I don't wholly buy that I do feel that the song is almost Bond and M's song and what they mutually are committed to and they know is on the line.

In CR 'M' says "when I knew you were you"

In Skyfall the lyric is (paraphrased)
    "I know i'll never be me, without the security, of your loving arms, keeping me from harm, put your hand in my hand (Bond rescues M and they go in the Aston to Scotland)... and we will stand tall... face it all together at skyfall" - mutual respect and 'love'. As has already been mooted too the film might see M's demise so you can forgive the emotive elements here and I do not suggest these as anything more than dramtic sentiments as opposed to anything else (if you know what I mean).

There is something dangerously final about the lyric and real forboding and desperation in what is about to come..it make me really very excited, played loud this song is just sensational (loads of nuianced brass in there too) love it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    by Gary Trust and Keith Caulfield | October 06, 2012 1:50 EDT

10/6 Update: After Adele's "Skyfall" was released Thursday evening (Oct. 4), the song is already trending around the No. 30 rank on the building all-format Nielsen BDS-based Radio Songs chart (which runs from Wednesday through Tuesday each week). So far, it's garnered 21 million audience impressions. As for genre airplay charts (which run from Monday to Sunday), "Skyfall" is already No. 16 on the building Adult Contemporary chart (with slightly more than 200 plays so far), No. 33 on Adult Pop Songs with (morethan 300) and No. 37 on Pop Songs (about 700).

"Skyfall" is selling big digitally, as it's been the No. 1 song in the iTunes Store since shortly after its release on Thursday night. Label sources suggest it sold twice as many downloads on Friday (across all retailers) as it did the day previous. That said, "Skyfall" may move between 200,000 and 250,000 downloads by the end of the SoundScan sales tracking week on Sunday, Oct. 7. That's a mighty number for being on sale less than four full days. As we said on Friday, however, predicting "Skyfall's" sales is difficult, as traditional sales projection models can't necessarily be used for mid-week releases.

At the rate "Skyfall" is selling, it should debut in the top four on the Digital Songs chart this coming Wednesday (10), possibly with One Direction's "Live While We're Young," Taylor Swift's "Red" and PSY's "Gangnam Style" likely at Nos. 1-3, respectively.

http://www.billboard.com/#
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not bad. Keeps close to the usual Bond theme style.

I think Shirley Bassey would have sung it better, though :)
  • Options
    ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't particularly like this at first, but it's started to grow on me. I don't know why, but I imagined there would be a a big production at the end but it's quite mellow than how I imagined.Still, not a band bond theme!
  • Options
    markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly grown on me and it's a decent effort overall but I'm underwhelmed. There is nothing truly memorable here unlike some of the real bond classics. If anything the most disappointing thing is how restrained Adele's voice is, not really the spectacular vocal I was expecting or she is capable of.

All in all it's a definite improvement on the more recent Bond themes but I suspect we won't be looking at this in twenty years time as a Bond classic which is a shame because all of the ingredients were there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In at #4!!
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    New assumptions about the revealing lyrics and James Bond
    from James Bond forum

The has already been supposition around M being revealed as Bonds Mother and whilst I don't wholly buy that I do feel that the song is almost Bond and M's song and what they mutually are committed to and they know is on the line.

In CR 'M' says "when I knew you were you"

In Skyfall the lyric is (paraphrased)
    "I know i'll never be me, without the security, of your loving arms, keeping me from harm, put your hand in my hand (Bond rescues M and they go in the Aston to Scotland)... and we will stand tall... face it all together at skyfall" - mutual respect and 'love'. As has already been mooted too the film might see M's demise so you can forgive the emotive elements here and I do not suggest these as anything more than dramtic sentiments as opposed to anything else (if you know what I mean).

There is something dangerously final about the lyric and real forboding and desperation in what is about to come..it make me really very excited, played loud this song is just sensational (loads of nuianced brass in there too) love it.
    The tracklisting for the soundtrack has one of the last tracks called "Mother" - i'm predicting We're going to be saying goodbye to Judi Dench
  • Options
    blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HOnestly think it's awful
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At first I thought it was nothing special, then I quite liked it and now I'm not sure. The chorus reminds me too much of "Diamonds Are Forever". It seems like the producers were just keen to get Adele on board and thought that she'd sell the record, whatever it was, so the song itself wasn't worked on as much as it should've been. Oh and Adele's voice sounds very manipulated, digitised, whatever the word is.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like SHM will beat her to no. 1.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I love it, i thought Adele would do a brilliant job and she really has!
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Looks likely that the wait for a Bond song #1 will continue:o I thought Adele would be a shoe in. Only a 4 star review from DS too for Skyfall.
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Ouch! Looks likely that the wait for a Bond song #1 will continue:o I thought Adele would be a shoe in. Only a 4 star review from DS too for Skyfall.

That midweek release was never gonna let her get #1.
    How can anyone see that trailer and not think her song is perfect for this movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoPjeh_vkE
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm gonna be honest, i don't have a whole lot of enthusiasm for skyfall, the song....or film for that matter

It's Adele, so it's gonna be quality vocals and all the rest of it, but it still feels side-projecty, and not the real Adele. So i'll take it as a one-off, but my full enthusiasm will be for her proper return and i expect i'm not the only Adele fan who feels that way. Though i might be:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I have it on replay quite a lot. Although today it was Many Shades of Black. :D

Adele is more of an album artist, but her side projects, like SF, tend to be great.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm gonna be honest, i don't have a whole lot of enthusiasm for skyfall, the song....or film for that matter

It's Adele, so it's gonna be quality vocals and all the rest of it, but it still feels side-projecty, and not the real Adele. So i'll take it as a one-off, but my full enthusiasm will be for her proper return and i expect i'm not the only Adele fan who feels that way. Though i might be:o

actually i backtrack a little on this comment, i didn't think the song had much growth potential but iv'e really come round to it:o
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    HOnestly think it's awful

I have to say that I don't like it either. I find it very boring.