Should there be women in the SAS?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    smc81 wrote: »
    If they can pass the selection tests then they should be in and if they can't then they shouldn't - no exceptions. Those tests are so tough that around 90% of applicants fail anyway, nobody is entitled to special treatment.

Unlike most of the posters on here I have served in the Forces . The forces do a fitness test called the bpfa (fitness test) which involves completing a run, sit-ups and press ups all have to be done in a certain time and amount. Also you have to complete a route march with full kit (bergen, webbing and rifle) However, the passing criteria is different for both sexes.

I've done a Commando course which damm near killed me and sorts out the men from the boys. We had a female officer at the time on the course who failed a few times but unlike everyone else was given extra attempts ( but she still failed it!)

I really don't care if its men or women in the SAS only that they can complete the training and pass. Not because of what sex etc they are.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dawnrayd wrote: »
    Of course you also have the same reasons women are not allowed in any combat units. What happens if relationships flare up within a unit?

That argument would equally apply, to having gay people in combat units.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so you think women are superior to men :confused:

Why does it have to a choice between superior and inferior :confused:
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that aimed at me?
    Well, if the cap fits.
  • Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Why does it have to a choice between superior and inferior :confused:

because one is always going to be better than the other.
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    No.

Next question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks at it like this. <snip>

The world's strongest/fastest/cleverest/biggest man, is obviously going to be a man. :rolleyes:

But who is the world's cleverest person?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because one is always going to be better than the other.

Individually yes, but not all men are superior to all women.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    The world's strongest/fastest/cleverest/biggest man, is obviously going to be a man. :rolleyes:

But who is the world's cleverest person?

steven hawkings or bill gates or simon cowell.

they're all different types of clever but all men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SAS guys are impressive tho.

They're not all built like Schwarzenegger or Stallone.

Indeed, in many situations, it's important that they don't stand out in a crowd.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven hawkings or bill gates or simon cowell.

they're all different types of clever but all men.

Carol Vorderman is very clever and a woman. Cleverer than Simon Cowell that's for sure
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    Carol Vorderman is very clever and a woman. Cleverer than Simon Cowell that's for sure

carol voderman's an idiot.

she might be good at doing a few sums but she's not very clever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carol voderman's an idiot.

she might be good at doing a few sums but she's not very clever.

She's a member of Mensa and a Mathematician... Yeah of course she is an "idiot" who "does a few sums":rolleyes:
    FOOL!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been reading a couple of books about the Bravo Two Zero mission

I wouldn't put too much stock in the B2Z books by "Andy McNab" and "Chris Ryan".

Much of what is in those books is bullshit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she's hardly up there with the most cleverest men in the world.

anyone can get into mensa with a bit of practice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she's hardly up there with the most cleverest men in the world.

anyone can get into mensa with a bit of practice.

You can't "practice" to get into Mensa... It's about intelligence. Your IQ is not something you can cheat or learn, it's just who you are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    Ah ha haha ha ha.

I doubt that there's a woman on Earth who would be able to make it through selection. This is just feminist fantasy. Sure, you may get the odd woman who is exceptionally strong or exceptionally fit, but to make it in the SAS or SBS you need to have an exceptional ability of both, as well as an exceptionally strong mental toughness. If you took even a typical Royal Marine or Para, he would not be able to cope with SAS or SBS selection. That's how tough it is.

Let's for a moment assume that there does exist a woman whose genetic potential and testosterone/male sex hormone levels are high enough to be able to cope with the fitness aspects of selection, would she be able to cope with being being beaten up by her senior officers? Would she be able to make it through the torture parts of the test without breaking?

The idea is ludicrous, frankly. There's more chance of a woman footballer making it in the men's Premier League.

I find this post pretty offensive tbh. You make such sweeping assumptions about an entire gender that it's laughable.

I don't subscribe to putting people into little boxes based on their gender, sexuality, race or anything else. Unless you've met every single woman on the planet then such assumptions are ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't "practice" to get into Mensa... It's about intelligence. Your IQ is not something you can cheat or learn, it's just who you are.

no it's not.

you can increase your iq quite easily.

you can pracitce iq tests to bump your score up.

no one takes them seriously any more, the haven't for about 50 years.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top 100 women: science and medicine
    Jocelyn Bell Burnell
    Astrophysicist who discovered the first pulsar and was the first female president of the Institute of Physics
    Fabiola Gianotti
    Physicist leading the team working on the Large Hadron Collider at Cern
    Jane Goodall
    Primatologist and environmental campaigner, who has conducted groundbreaking work on chimpanzees and shortened the gap between our species

Jane Goodall "shortened the gap between our species" what's that then? Proved we are not that different from other species of apes? :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no it's not.

If you have to practice for the Mensa test or an IQ test then you are defeating the object of it. You don't study for these kinds of tests. They are there to see what your level of intelligence is and your IQ level. I didn't realise you were an expert on the history of Mensa and the way they run. They are still a respected body.
    I had to take IQ tests when I changed schools. I didn't study for them as I was not allowed. It was to see whether I was suitable for the Grammar Stream in my new school
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no it's not.

If men and women had always been always treated equally, I doubt men would be as dominant in the sciences. As far as I am aware the brain structure of men and women are the same so there is reason for women to be less intelligent than. Not that 'intelligence' is quantifiable anyway.
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a member of Mensa and a Mathematician... Yeah of course she is an "idiot" who "does a few sums":rolleyes:
    FOOL!
    You're feeding a troll. And not even a particularly good one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ishina wrote: »

LOL I'm aware of his activity. I have seen it several times :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have to practice for the Mensa test or an IQ test then you are defeating the object of it. You don't study for these kinds of tests. They are there to see what your level of intelligence is and your IQ level. I didn't realise you were an expert on the history of Mensa and the way they run. They are still a respected body.
    I had to take IQ tests when I changed schools. I didn't study for them as I was not allowed. It was to see whether I was suitable for the Grammar Stream in my new school

you're talking bullshit.

you're a year younger than me and iq tests were well and truly fazed out years before i entered the education system.

it's also well known it's very easy to bump your score up, that's part of the reason they've been discounted by anyone with half a brain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ishina wrote: »

no need for personal abuse.

i haven't said anything offensive to you, not sure why decided to be so rude toward me.