Options

Live at home? how much rent do you pay?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very lucky I am from an Italian family where my parents would be embarrassed to ask me and my sister for money. It's the sort of thing that would go around the Italian community and will make them look bad. I wouldn't charge my children, but if my wife was English, she may want to.

I am very lucky and when I get a full time job after my graduate I will certainly help my parents out because I am lucky in that aspect.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't charge my son when he's old enough to pay board, I'd rather he saved it so he can get his own place. If he doesn't save, I'll charge him and save it myself for him to use as a deposit.
    I'm looking forward to my freedom as much as I love him!

A bloke at work told me his dad charged him for rent and left him little of his wage for himself, turned out his dad was investing it for him and he got a tidy sum when the investment matured.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    After the age of eighteen a person becomes an adult and therefore they should act like one and pay their way.
    Putting the bins out on bin day, washing up now and again, cutting the lawn and other odd jobs to help around the house. It isn't always about rent money.
    I suspect most parents want to encourage their live in adult children to save up their wages for their future.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to pay £120 a month when I lived with my parents and I was working full time. I paid £200 a month to the ex-M-in-L when I lived in Bexleyheath and was working full time but used to pay for my own telephone line/internet/food as well.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Eldest son may be coming home at end of the month to stay. Won't be taking a penny off him. At the end of the day this is his home. I would rather he kept his money and saved for his future.

Now thats my kind of parent :D My mum and dad didnt take a bean off me ever. I have lived a charmed life :p
  • Options
    labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't pay anything :o My parents are amazing, they refused any monetary contribution when I got my first proper job after graduating. We do have an understanding that I save a certain amount each month. I also do household chores etc. and buy food so I'm not a total freeloader. Me and my parents get on so well...however I really want to move out now. It's just so expensive and a complete non-starter for me a few years I would think :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you need to pay rent if you are living with your parents? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you need to pay rent if you are living with your parents? :confused::confused::confused:

I think 'rent' is a misnomer.

I paid 'keep'.

I could always stay there for free, but I had to make a contribution to what I ate and used.

I've got to say, I just don't 'get' how it's necessarily 'good', for parents to refuse to take any money from a working adult that is living with them.

I'd feel pathetic if my parents let me do that.

As for saving, even paying your way a bit leaves you with FAR more money than if you were to rent.

Different strokes I suppose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay £100 a month...
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    One third of my basic salary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its slightly different in this day and age though. If your kid wants to go to university, well theres £30,000 debt straight away. Then if they want a house they're looking to save something ridiculous like £20,000 for a deposit. That's potentially £50,000 worth of debt by the time they are in the mid 20's :eek:

So taking lots of their money away from them can make life considerably more difficult than it was for us of an older generation (and I mean like 20 years ago when you could get a nice house for £40,000). And it can also mean them living with you until they are in their 30's.

I know that some families need the money from their children to survive though, and that's fair enough.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    Its slightly different in this day and age though. If your kid wants to go to university, well theres £30,000 debt straight away. Then if they want a house they're looking to save something ridiculous like £20,000 for a deposit. That's potentially £50,000 worth of debt by the time they are in the mid 20's :eek:

So taking lots of their money away from them can make life considerably more difficult than it was for us of an older generation (and I mean like 20 years ago when you could get a nice house for £40,000). And it can also mean them living with you until they are in their 30's.

I know that some families need the money from their children to survive though, and that's fair enough.

There is always that - and, as I have said, my parents have helped me out substantially more than once.

Still though, paying something, even a gesture, towards what you actually USE, not extra, just not to be totally dependent, seems fine to me.

And if you're not that young, and working full time, you're really just taking your parents money to spend or save with. They're just giving it to you.

Now that's fine, but let's not dress it up as 'I saved it all myself', as many people seem to.

They are still GIVING you money.
  • Options
    Melody.ExEMelody.ExE Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Wow, I feel spoilt!
    I pay my parents £75/month as board, from my ~£800/month salary, but I do pay for my own car, and college fees, which comes to ~£400/month (not including board), and then £200 goes into saving for a deposit. My parents keep trying to tell me I don't have to pay them when they see me budgetting like crazy for other things, like eating out or buying plane tickets to see my boyfriend, but I'd feel really guilty if I didn't pay anything at all.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live at home and pay £80 a week - so, on average, £320 a month.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of those people who live at home and pay their parents money need to be very careful as it could interfere with their parents benefits.

Technically the parents should declare all income to the DSS and Inland Revenue.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I left home for the final time in 2004 I paid £100 per month and my parents waived this if I had car insurance etc to pay. I appreciate times have moved on and London is certainly more expensive to live in.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We refer to it as digs money. It covers, after all, more than rent - meals, heating, electricity, council tax. I do pay the phone bill (which I use very little) as part of my internet package, but that's minor.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I paid 'keep'.

I could always stay there for free, but I had to make a contribution to what I ate and used.

I've got to say, I just don't 'get' how it's necessarily 'good', for parents to refuse to take any money from a working adult that is living with them.

As for saving, even paying your way a bit leaves you with FAR more money than if you were to rent.

Yeah ours was board not rent and covered a contribution towards the cost of heating, lighting, food and, when I was 18 and still at home, the stupid ****ing Poll Tax, which was £360 or something equally ridiculous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member

I paid 'keep'.

I completely agree. One of mine came back for about three months but didn't make it easy for us. We ended up charging her a token small rent which she rarely paid.
    Rolling in drunk at all times of the early hours and smuggling in the boyfriend during the night. Our bills went up a lot because she didn't care about running them up.
    In the end we hinted that we were upset that she was being unfair to us. She moved out again in a huff. Once gone again she was back to being far worse off financially.
    It taught her a lesson and she grew up into a wonderful woman and mother herself.
    We now have a brilliant relationship with her.