Comments

• big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought she just wanted a different label.
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought she just wanted a different label.

Wouldn't have happened if Syco didn't want to let her go. She was under contract.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I called this when her Christmas album bombed, and got flamed by her obsessive fans for doing so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    She wasn't dumped by Simon Cowell, she chose to leave his label.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    She wasn't dumped by Simon Cowell, she chose to leave his label.

Probably a bit of both.

Anyway, right decision - Syco is focused on other acts and if an artist's career is waning a bit a shake up behind the scenes is the right route.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a bit of both.

Anyway, right decision - Syco is focused on other acts and if an artist's career is waning a bit a shake up behind the scenes is the right route.

At the end of the day a record company is a business. They need you to make them money if you don't you are out. They put millions into you with promotion etc and even though Leona might have made millions a few years ago, she hasnt exactly been selling much for a good couple of years.

I know she did have a Christmas album, but there is such a short time frame on this, that it probably didnt make a much as some people think!
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I do think she is good, I was never convinced about her superstardom status.

I do wish her well and its probably a good move for her at this time.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twells wrote: »
    Wouldn't have happened if Syco didn't want to let her go. She was under contract.

I'd say it was more likely that the contract was up - she'd been with the label for seven years after all. Either that, or she had something like a five album deal which was completed last year with the christmas album.

I can't see her being under contract with Syco for longer than 7 years - it's unheard of in the music industry.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Sun she's the one who dumped Cowell.

So you pays your money and takes your choice on what you want to believe.

In any case she has signed a deal with Island which is a proper music label and much bigger than the low rent Syco.

A bit like being dropped by Hull, only to be then signed by Real Madrid in football terms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »

In any case she has signed a deal with Island which is a proper music label and much bigger than the low rent Syco.

A bit like being dropped by Hull, only to be then signed by Real Madrid in football terms.

Lol :D
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the new lapel will allow her to use her talent....What was Syco doing putting out a crappy Christmas album? Of course that is going to bomb...Why does he repress Leona's talent? She has a massive hit with Bleeding Love, it was huge in the US too, why wasn't that followed up?
  • Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll be better off away from Syco, good luck to her.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona will know the score from her contract. If you don't make the money then out the door you go, with an 'amicable' press parting or whatever way they wish to spin it out.

She probably knew it was coming, she'll have been poring over the sales figures as well as Simon and Syco. Mutually, both parties may have had a plan well in advance that a fresh start was needed. The people on here that called it awhile ago were of course, correct.
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of Syco's morals if it wasn't for Simon Cowell and his programme, she wouldn't be where she is now and would still be working in Pizza Hut. I don't think she has anything to complain about
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of Syco's morals if it wasn't for Simon Cowell and his programme, she wouldn't be where she is now and would still be working in Pizza Hut. I don't think she has anything to complain about

Hard to disagree with that.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Whilst I do think she is good, I was never convinced about her superstardom status.

I do wish her well and its probably a good move for her at this time.

She was promoted as such, But her personality is way too dull and bland to pull it off

Plus her songs are nothing exciting, It is music that any pop star could sing and it would sound the same
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    She was promoted as such, But her personality is way too dull and bland to pull it off

Plus her songs are nothing exciting, It is music that any pop star could sing and it would sound the same

Exactly.:)
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »

why do people care so much about peoples personality

why can't we just care about her music

some artists rarely give interviews like coldplay and adele but they are massive. I just think Leona needs to pick better songs
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless she wanted a better deal than Cowell's label had been giving her. Good look to her if she can get a better deal elsewhere. She might have also felt that Cowell's label wasn't devoting enough time to her songs and what not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Unless she wanted a better deal than Cowell's label had been giving her. Good look to her if she can get a better deal elsewhere. She might have also felt that Cowell's label wasn't devoting enough time to her songs and what not.

This. SyCo weren't paying enough attention to her as Simon only cares about One Direction. Glassheart flopped because Simon's team didn't promote her enough.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do agree that without Cowell, Leona wouldn't be where she is today. However, let's be honest, after Leona hit the huge heights she did, SyCo's attention changed. I've said it before and I'll say it again - A musical relationship with SC is only temporary. Cowell was lapping up Leona's success like there was no tomorrow. When Susan Boyle came on the scene and blew up over night, he was all over her. When One Direction hit the big time, Leona and Susan both moved down the important list. He only seems to focus on One Direction. When he discovers someone young and fresh on X Factor or BGT, then One Direction will start getting less attention.

@Tribute, You make it out like the Christmas album sold basically nothing. It sold 100k + and went gold in only 3 weeks which is pretty well done for an album not charting in the Top 10. Glassheart was an absolute flop though imo

Though I am keen to know where her music will go now, she should thankfully have a lot more creative control without SyCo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »

Yeah, well, as we all know Leona hadn't fulfilled her commitments to Syco and they could have kept her if they'd wanted to. I think Simon was glad that she got another offer and wished her well.

BTW, at the moment she's Island UK. Is Island US also going to distribute her and promote her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I do agree that without Cowell, Leona wouldn't be where she is today. However, let's be honest, after Leona hit the huge heights she did, SyCo's attention changed. I've said it before and I'll say it again - A musical relationship with SC is only temporary. Cowell was lapping up Leona's success like there was no tomorrow. When Susan Boyle came on the scene and blew up over night, he was all over her. When One Direction hit the big time, Leona and Susan both moved down the important list. He only seems to focus on One Direction. When he discovers someone young and fresh on X Factor or BGT, then One Direction will start getting less attention.

@Tribute, You make it out like the Christmas album sold basically nothing. It sold 100k + and went gold in only 3 weeks which is pretty well done for an album not charting in the Top 10. Glassheart was an absolute flop though imo

Though I am keen to know where her music will go now, she should thankfully have a lot more creative control without SyCo

The question will be is she creative? Some singers think they need creative control and make a mess of it.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether she left or was pushed, it doesn't matter, she is away from Syco and has moved over to a much better label in my opinion.

The fact Universal's Island Records have signed her means they believe in her and are willing to invest. I think Syco's belief in Leona had fell to an all time low, hence the Christmas album, so I personally think she is in a far better position now.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twells wrote: »
    Yeah, well, as we all know Leona hadn't fulfilled her commitments to Syco and they could have kept her if they'd wanted to. I think Simon was glad that she got another offer and wished her well.

BTW, at the moment she's Island UK. Is Island US also going to distribute her and promote her?

How do you know if she had fulfilled her commitments to Syco? She signed a five album contract, these are all her releases with Syco,

Spirit
    Spirit: Deluxe
    Echo
    Labrynth: Dvd and CD
    Hurt: EP
    Glassheart
    Christmas With Love

Maybe all those releases make five albums, some people think the Labrynth CD would have been counted as a live album, meaning she has released five albums with Syco.

Leona waited to complete her contract with Modest Management before leaving them last year, she might have done the same here. It's rumoured that although Syco knew Leona would be leaving them, they wanted her to stay within Sony and were helping her do that, but she secured a deal with Universal behind their back.

We don't know, but according to The Hollywood Reported this was a worldwide deal.