• bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantasy? yeah...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misdemeanour

...and Maryland is one of those.

Not even know your own law now?

By the way - remember several pages back I told you that bullets killed people, not weapons? And that there were major differences in the types of bullet? ;-) And you poo-poo'd that...?

Best you take another look at Maryland's firearms law then - especially the section on restricted bullet types...! :D

(If this is seriously the level of knowledge and factual information enjoyed by the gun control lobby in the U.S. - it hasn't a hope!)

Omg what you posted isn't true at all.

Ask any lawyer. A misdemeanor gun charge is a serious crime.

I'm sorry you are giving the wrong impression and erroneous information but apparently I can't stop you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm posting this so that people can see that a misdemeanor gun charge is serious in any state and can affect the rest of your life.

https://attorneyswanson.com/Weapons_Charges.html

This is California but it is true just about anywhere.

"A weapons possession or enhancement charge, particularly a firearm, is a very serious charge."

You face jail time, court appearance, lengthy supervised probation, heavy court costs, fines and probation fees, may not be able to work or travel, depending. Thousands and thousands of dollars.

And you could be in more trouble with the judge on a gun possession misdemeanor than on a felony for a less dangerous felony, like marijuana PWID.

So to say that a misdemeanor is less serious than a felony is somewhat misleading.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollywood, not to be rude, but you are going to war armed with atom bombs against people that have tooled up with fish knives. Some people will believe what they want regardless of any facts because fantastical delusion better suits their means than any applicable or salient facts. That two of the people for gun freedom of rights don't live in America but Dumfries and Northern Ireland, and create fanciful delusions where every burglar is a pedophile rapist murderer psychopath or try to equate sub machine guns with hunting rifles... they'd argue samurai swords are the same as steak knives if the issue came to it. You can keep arguing your own points but if they are too blunted on their on perception, it doesn't matter. You're tossing pearls to swine. Let them believe what they like, it doesn't make it true outside of their microcosm of existence if numbers and facts offend them to the degree they discredit them rather than counter with similar collective evidence to support their positions. It's "I know you are, but what am I?" logic and that's for the playground, if they maintain it as adults, consider whether you're arguing with adults with intellects appreciable as adults or manchildren.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bollywood, not to be rude, but you are going to war armed with atom bombs against people that have tooled up with fish knives. Some people will believe what they want regardless of any facts because fantastical delusion better suits their means than any applicable or salient facts. That two of the people for gun freedom of rights don't live in America but Dumfries and Northern Ireland, and create fanciful delusions where every burglar is a pedophile rapist murderer psychopath or try to equate sub machine guns with hunting rifles... they'd argue samurai swords are the same as steak knives if the issue came to it. You can keep arguing your own points but if they are too blunted on their on perception, it doesn't matter. You're tossing pearls to swine. Let them believe what they like, it doesn't make it true outside of their microcosm of existence if numbers and facts offend them to the degree they discredit them rather than counter with similar collective evidence to support their positions. It's "I know you are, but what am I?" logic and that's for the playground, if they maintain it as adults, consider whether you're arguing with adults with intellects appreciable as adults or manchildren.

Yes thank you for the reality check. :)

I don't know where they are or what they know of the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Yes thank you for the reality check. :)

I don't know where they are or what they know of the US.

I know two people in two regions of the US who have lost close family to shooting incidents, another person who has lost one to a police related shooting. I think most understand that owning a rifle or shotgun in locked cabinets for shooting or keeping a pistol in a bedside drawer in case of home invasion are practical given possible home invaders may also be armed but most responsible gun owners lock away high caliber weaponry and only keep a handgun nearby for emergency purposes.

You and I are arguing with people that think 8 year olds who couldn't hold a .38 straight let alone discharge it without breaking their noses staring down the line sight but should know how to use such weapons in case someone decides to break into steal silverware and then rape children as a secondary opportunity. The logic there... it's non existent.

Sometimes you just need to step back and realise it's not worth it, you might as well enter as a heavyweight adult boxer against a child flyweight. You might win, but it doesn't matter if you beat the underskilled and less advanced. It's just victimisation the egotistical acting beyond their station without knowing better or enough.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    (If this is seriously the level of knowledge and factual information enjoyed by the gun control lobby in the U.S. - it hasn't a hope!)

This is the problem, IMO.

A lot of gun-grabbers start off from a position where they find something they don't approve of and then work backwards to find reasons to justify their prejudices rather than attempting to look at the big picture and being open to things which might be different from what they originally thought.

I'll paypal you £100 right now if you can go back and post a quote of mine which says anything like what you've written there.

Simple fact is, the biggest problem related to guns in the USA is straw-purchasing and unregistered transfers and that's what needs sorting out rather than symbolic legislation to ban magazines with more than 10 rounds or ban modern rifles which achieves very little.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    That looked like she was using a phased plasma rifle with a 40 watt range to me.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An Infraction, A Misdemeanor Or A Felony
    A Felony vs. A Misdemeanor
    Many people do not know the difference between the type of charges they face. The three categories are divided based on the type of punishment you face depending on the seriousness or non-seriousness of your conduct.

There are three types of charges:
    * An Infraction -fines only, no probation, no jail time
    * A Misdemeanor -fines, probation, maximum 1 year in county jail,
    * A felony -fines, probation, up to 1 year in county jail, possibly state prison for more than 1 year, parole

It almost seems like the UK difference between going in front of a Magistrates court, for up to six months in jail, or a Crown court which could impose a life term.

It appears to be the level of punishment which is different. A misdemeanor can get you up to a year in county jail whereas a felony could get you much longer in a state penitentiary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know two people in two regions of the US who have lost close family to shooting incidents, another person who has lost one to a police related shooting. I think most understand that owning a rifle or shotgun in locked cabinets for shooting or keeping a pistol in a bedside drawer in case of home invasion are practical given possible home invaders may also be armed but most responsible gun owners lock away high caliber weaponry and only keep a handgun nearby for emergency purposes.

You and I are arguing with people that think 8 year olds who couldn't hold a .38 straight let alone discharge it without breaking their noses staring down the line sight but should know how to use such weapons in case someone decides to break into steal silverware and then rape children as a secondary opportunity. The logic there... it's non existent.

Sometimes you just need to step back and realise it's not worth it, you might as well enter as a heavyweight adult boxer against a child flyweight. You might win, but it doesn't matter if you beat the underskilled and less advanced. It's just victimisation the egotistical acting beyond their station without knowing better or enough.

Didn't see this. I agree in that it's easy for someone to think they know what is going on on in a country they don't live in, and some of the comments are very naive. It would be like me piping up and telling Northern Ireland how to do its politics. If I talk to someone in my city, though, they know immediately what I'm talking about. :)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why the bloody hell was a 9 year old using a gun in the 1st place? :eek:
    One wonders if people like the instructor and parents are part of the problem, as sad as his death is :( What could he be "teaching"?

I suppose the NRA attitude would be that both the instructor and the girl should both have had uzis at the same time so that, when the girl started to lose control, the instructor could have opened fire to save himself.

That reactionary organisation is truly appalling and it's a pity that not enough politicians and civic officials have enough spine to stand up to them.
    Forum Member
    I suppose the NRA attitude would be that both the instructor and the girl should both have had uzis at the same time so that, when the girl started to lose control, the instructor could have opened fire to save himself.

That reactionary organisation is truly appalling and it's a pity that not enough politicians and civic officials have enough spine to stand up to them.

Hey, that's great.

Make up some stuff in your head and ascribe it to another person or group and then criticise them for having the attitude that you've made up.

Personally, I really don't think anybody in the NRA is likely to be thinking that at all.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Hey, that's great.

Make up some stuff in your head and ascribe it to another person or group and then criticise them for having the attitude that you've made up.

Personally, I really don't think anybody in the NRA is likely to be thinking that at all.

Have you heard some of the basket case stuff that they've been coming out with this past couple of years such as giving guns to teachers, giving pupils guides to pistol shooting, etc. to 'help' to prevent more school massacres?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love this post :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Well, for somebody who you think is so massively well-equipped to win the debate, bolly seems to making an awful horlicks of it. Did he get those atom bombs from North Korea or something? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    I love this post :D

Yes well done to the extent it opened my eyes. I have to say I know little of Dumfries. First time I heard of it. :) I'm seeing no murders during 3 particular years there?
    Forum Member
    Have you heard some of the basket case stuff that they've been coming out with this past couple of years such as giving guns to teachers, giving pupils guides to pistol shooting, etc. to 'help' to prevent more school massacres?

Have you heard any NRA members say that the instructor should have had an Uzi to defend himself by shooting a 9 year old girl?

Of course you haven't.

Cos it's bollocks.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see this. I agree in that it's easy for someone to think they know what is going on on in a country they don't live in, and some of the comments are very naive. It would be like me piping up and telling Northern Ireland how to do its politics. If I talk to someone in my city, though, they know immediately what I'm talking about. :)

I'm pretty sure there are Americans who have expressed their opinions on how the Irish, in Northern Ireland, should conduct their politics over the years ....
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And talking of bollocks...
    I'm posting this so that people can see that a misdemeanor gun charge is serious in any state and can affect the rest of your life.

https://attorneyswanson.com/Weapons_Charges.html

This is California but it is true just about anywhere.

"A weapons possession or enhancement charge, particularly a firearm, is a very serious charge."

You face jail time, court appearance, lengthy supervised probation, heavy court costs, fines and probation fees, may not be able to work or travel, depending. Thousands and thousands of dollars.

And you could be in more trouble with the judge on a gun possession misdemeanor than on a felony for a less dangerous felony, like marijuana PWID.

So to say that a misdemeanor is less serious than a felony is somewhat misleading.

Unfortunately for THAT waste of bandwidth, I posted up the EXACT section from Maryland Senate Bill 281 that deals with the tarifffs for a misdemeanor charge arising from Maryland's assault weapon law sections.

And it's a slap on the wrist. Here in N.I. it's a mandatory minimum of 20 years in jail for of illegal possession of firearms or ammunition. One bullet is enough...

In Maryland, possession of the listed banned types gets you NOT MORE THAN three years in jail I.E. anything up to three years maximum...or a fine NOT exceeding $5000, or both.

As I said - it's nothing more than a slap on the wrist in real terms.

Which makes THIS...
    Bollywood, not to be rude, but you are going to war armed with atom bombs against people that have tooled up with fish knives. Some people will believe what they want regardless of any facts because fantastical delusion better suits their means than any applicable or salient facts.

...pretty much bolliocks too. Neither poster would know a "salient fact" if it bit them on the ass...and many salient facts HAVE done in this thread, yet they haven't learned from the experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there are Americans who have expressed their opinions on how the Irish, in Northern Ireland, should conduct their politics over the years ....

I haven't though and if someone told me I couldn't imagine what life is like somewhere I haven't lived, I'd accept that.

I wouldn't go around telling people in Ireland what a serious crime is in their country, or act as if 7% of the population being murdered is not significant. That would be rude. It is really a fantasy version of what it is like to live here, as I see after looking at photos of Dumfries for example. No comparison.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you can make your point without coming across as a total plank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you can make your point without coming across as a total plank.

I agree that Trsvis could work on his presentation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you and Trsvs should work on that.

I wasn't referring to you i was talking to the sanctimonious twunt
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't referring to you i was talking to the sanctimonious twunt

Oh sorry. I looked back at your posts and they make perfect sense. I edited my post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh sorry. I looked back at your posts and they make perfect sense.

They probably dont, i'm an idiot. pretty sure i messed up my statistics yesterday but hey ho. :)

I'll let you two get on with belittling each other, or at least one of you ;-)
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go around telling people in Ireland what a serious crime is in their country, or act as if 7% of the population being murdered is not significant. That would be rude. It is really a fantasy version of what it is like to live here...

Well, I've just told YOU what a serious crime equivalent is here in Northern Ireland....

And it earns you SIX TIMES LONGER in jail than the same charge does in Maryland :o

Did you by any chance note that the "Law Center for the Prevention of Gun Violence" doesn't happen to have much to say about the actual tariffs for "illegal possession of firearms" in Maryland?...

Perhaps you should find your way to Senate Bill 281 and actually find out for yourself. Where you'll find it's exactly what I said.

And by the way - Northern Ireland is a fantasy land??? Yeah - a terrorists' fantasy land of pipebombs, mercury tilt switches and semtex, kneecappings, van bombs, riots, sniper attacks on the police, gun attacks on soldiers...